• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter Four: Sanctuary (104)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE MANDALORIAN - SEASON ONE
    CHAPTER FOUR:
    SANCTUARY

EPISODE NUMBER - 104
    Seeking to lay low from those who are pursuing him the Mandalorian turns to a remote planet, where he and a former Shock Trooper come to the defense of a remote farming village.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 16 December 2019, 11:01 AM.

Liked that, very much a Star Wars take on "The Magnificent Seven".

The scene where Mando and Cara Dune are fighting, simultaneously getting the drop on each other, only to turn round and see Baby!Yoda calmly standing watching them had me howling with laughter.

And the ep establishes that, yes, Mandalorians can remove their helmets and armour, just not in the presence of other people.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I just finished watching -- ermagherd, Baby Yoda cuteness overload! I also busted a gut laughing at him (her?) just sipping away at the broth as Cara Dune and the Mandalorian look over from pointing blasters at each others' heads

I'd seen a bit of chatter during the day today that this was going to be a bit Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven, and truthfully I really was not looking forward to that. It's been done so many times, including in Star Wars, in an episode of The Clone Wars, which Dave Filoni (one of this show's exec producers) was showrunner on, so I was kinda like..ehhh, again? But 'on the ground' (so to speak), it ultimately ended up working pretty well IMO.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from Cara Dune because I've seen Gina Carano in one or two other things and not been impressed with her acting chops, but I actually thought she was quite good in this. I really bought the performance, believed the character.

How about that AT-ST though? The red 'eyes' seemed a little over the top, but I guess you needed something to be able to see where it was in the night shots (and yeah, it did look cool). Was there supposed to be someone driving it though? We saw Imperial troops driving them in Return of the Jedi, but I couldn't tell if there were guys inside this one, or if it was supposed to be automated/droid-controlled or something.

Random thing I was not at all expecting: the village woman ("the widow"). Lots of mystery there, and I thought the actress did a stellar job of bringing to life a compelling and mysterious character, which is no small feat for someone who probably only had 10 minutes of screen time in all.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      And the ep establishes that, yes, Mandalorians can remove their helmets and armour, just not in the presence of other people.
      That...is a bit of a weird one.

We already knew that Mandalorians can remove their armour; we saw Jango Fett with it off in Attack of the Clones, and there were plenty of Mandalorians in the CGI Clone Wars series who took off their helmets around each other all the time (to say nothing of the inhabitants of Mandalore who didn't even wear armour), and also Sabine in Rebels who had her bucket off more than she ever had it on. So I'm really curious what makes this particular clan of Mandalorians different than all the ones we've seen in the past.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yeah, but Jango Fett wasn't a Mandalorian. He was a mercenary/bounty hunter who had a set of armour he'd got from somewhere.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Ok, to continue "The Magnificent Seven" analogy, would you say Mando was a composite equivalent to Chris Adams (Yul Brynner), Vin Tanner (Steve McQueen) and Harry Luck (Brad Dexter) - the gunslinger/drifter/fortune seeker.

With Cara Dune being Bernardo O'Reilly (Charles Bronson), Lee (Robert Vaughn), and Chico (Horst Buchholz) - the professional in need of money/the traumatized veteran/the young hot-blooded shootist.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but Jango Fett wasn't a Mandalorian. He was a mercenary/bounty hunter who had a set of armour he'd got from somewhere.
            I think the jury's still out on that, but even if we throw him by the wayside, there's still plenty more we saw take them off all the time in the other shows. Brings me back to: I wonder what it is about this group that's different?

Rebels featured the Mandalorians going to civil war, between the Imperial collaborators and the freedom fighters. It doesn't seem like a huge stretch that the Empire might've decided they were more trouble than they were worth and tried to wipe them out. I did not catch while watching last week's episode of The Mandalorian but read later that the kind of bully one was credited as "Paz Vizla;" Vizla was an entire clan in TCW and Rebels, so maybe "The Tribe" is all that's left of them?

Ok, to continue "The Magnificent Seven" analogy, would you say Mando was a composite equivalent to Chris Adams (Yul Brynner), Vin Tanner (Steve McQueen) and Harry Luck (Brad Dexter) - the gunslinger/drifter/fortune seeker.

With Cara Dune being Bernardo O'Reilly (Charles Bronson), Lee (Robert Vaughn), and Chico (Horst Buchholz) - the professional in need of money/the traumatized veteran/the young hot-blooded shootist.
            Ooh now there's a thought! I hadn't thought to try to draw direct/fusion analogues like that. I like your thinking!
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The red lighting in the AT-ST was a nice touch.

It makes sense if the bandits are operating at night, because red lighting is better for keeping your natural night vision.
              sigpic

Comment

First of all, I SO need the soundtrack of this thing...

Second... "Anyone want soup?"

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Random thing I was not at all expecting: the village woman ("the widow"). Lots of mystery there, and I thought the actress did a stellar job of bringing to life a compelling and mysterious character, which is no small feat for someone who probably only had 10 minutes of screen time in all.
                A bit peeved there wasn't anything more on that.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                We already knew that Mandalorians can remove their armour; we saw Jango Fett with it off in Attack of the Clones, and there were plenty of Mandalorians in the CGI Clone Wars series who took off their helmets around each other all the time (to say nothing of the inhabitants of Mandalore who didn't even wear armour), and also Sabine in Rebels who had her bucket off more than she ever had it on. So I'm really curious what makes this particular clan of Mandalorians different than all the ones we've seen in the past.
                Maybe it's the manner in which our Mando became a Mandalorian, or it's something about his face he doesn't want people to see. Maybe its not so much that he doesn't want to take it off in front of people because someone told him he can't but because of what that means for him personally.

I don't know... I'm just happy to see that the issue of eating and drinking is somewhat resolved. He can only do so when he's alone cause he won't take his bucket off when there's people around. Hence why he used to travel alone and freeze his bounties. He doesn't want to starve to death.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                  X