how do the control crystals work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do the control crystals work?

Last edited by grobanix; 28 September 2021, 02:47 AM.
    Enough of this tampering with time. Causality is not to be treated so lightly.

Fortunately they were made by Apple. A bit overly flashy but very user friendly.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ask a radio how it uses crystals.

Seriously though, crystal storage has been a dream of computer nuts since, well, radio. They technically have vast storage capacity so the notion of ships or DHD's using them is not exactly a new thing, or even odd. They can easily handle the "code" required for any address, so at some point you would actually have to ask yourself, "why NOT use crystals" rather than why use them.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

A crystal radio. That takes me back a bit Gatefan, We called it a cat's whisker if I'm not mistaken.
        I built one once, miles and miles of wire for the ariel as I remember.
        How it actually worked I don't know now, but I remember it did work nicely..
        http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Before we start with crystals, let's start with something simpler. If you've ever looked at the bottom of a CD you'll notice it has a couple hundred tiny tracks running around the disk. Each track reflective and non reflective areas which is its binary which is what all machines are run on. When you put in a CD a laser is run over its surface and data is read with not just the binary but its polar coordinates. This is 2D optical data storage. I (or rather a machine) can use a light source of some sort and get data from the binary and two other factors/dimensional resolutions (angle and distance).

Crystal storage is 5D optical memory storage so it makes use of five factors (three spatial and two optical). Where that piece of data is in the crystal. And how light reacts with that section. As you can imagine I can now store way more memory on it than anything else of the same size.

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
          X