• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll Be Judge, I'll Be Jury (106)

Visit the Episode GuideBATWOMAN - SEASON ONE
    I'LL BE JUDGE,
    I'LL BE JURY

EPISODE NUMBER - 106
    Alice and Mouse set their eyes on a powerful weapon, putting her father and her sister in harm's way. Meanwhile a killer sets his sights on victims connected to the criminal justice system, and Batwoman brings an injured Sophie to Mary's clinic.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 16 November 2019, 09:57 PM.

I liked the episode even though I noticed a logical fault in the opening scene.

I like the drama between Mouse and Alice. For me, this is the first time I've seen someone be scarier than Alice. Very cool.

If Kate is surprised that someone knew her secret she was obviously not paying attention in episode 1 or 2.

Comment

To be honest, I'm not "feeling" this show. Kate is inept, needs the suit, and just is a sub-par replacement for batman. The whole series so far has been about destroying the suit, and taking jabs at "not batman".
      In the first crossover (elseworlds), she had skill, was self confidant and knew what the hell she was doing, and perhaps that set my expectations too high.
      Is their a time lag going on?
      IE, is this supposed to where Barry, Ollie, Kara etc kicked off?
      I have NO issues with building a character, but the first time she appeared, she KNEW what she was doing. Now, she's pretty lame to be honest and if this is the batwoman we will see in crisis, I'm concerned.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        In the first crossover (elseworlds), she had skill, was self confidant and knew what the hell she was doing, and perhaps that set my expectations too high.
        Is their a time lag going on?
        She was already Batwoman in Elseworlds, but here she's just learning. To me, it follows that this is still set sometime prior to then. How they're going to catch up before Crisis, your guess is as good as mine.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          She was already Batwoman in Elseworlds, but here she's just learning. To me, it follows that this is still set sometime prior to then. How they're going to catch up before Crisis, your guess is as good as mine.
          That's why I asked about the time delay Digi.

I can handle a Arrow like time delay, but there is NO in story reason for this (like Ollies flashbacks), it's just Kate being, well, pathetic and learning -IN COMPARISON- to who she is in Elseworlds.
          The show is not "bad", but it is certainly "unexplained" in the arrowverse timeline, and that sorta pushes it into the "bad" category.
          I don't want it to be though.
          sigpic

Comment

Apparently, as of Episode 5, we're all caught up. Since Episode 5 mentions a breakout at Arkham.

I admit, she seems to have gotten better, but she still got hit by a truck in the last episode which was only done for the joke of getting a license off the imprint on the suit.

The show is obviously still growing, every first season shows the growing pains. I remember season one of The Flash and being oh so bothered by the fact Barry would just race to the crime and then stare down the bad guy. When he could have stopped them in....a...flash. Oh wait, he still does that

Comment

THAT is my problem.
              It's not about Kate, it's about the SUIT, the mantle of the bat.
              They handle Kate well, they handle the bat badly.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
                Apparently, as of Episode 5, we're all caught up. Since Episode 5 mentions a breakout at Arkham.
                Ah, thank you. I knew the Arkham thing was a reference to something, but I couldn't figure out what.

That said though, it still strikes me as speculative. Granted it's better than anything I've come up with on my own, but it still puts episode 105 just a couple of weeks after Elseworlds. And then Arrow had that months-long jump in its Season 7 finale, so I don't think it's unreasonable to guess that we're still comfortably in last season's timeframe.

Then again, there's nothing to stop them from dropping in a throwaway line like "hey remember when we did that thing [last week's episode] six months ago?" or something like that. It's a bit confusing for us the viewer, but it's really not a hard fix for the writers to make.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ah, thank you. I knew the Arkham thing was a reference to something, but I couldn't figure out what.

That said though, it still strikes me as speculative. Granted it's better than anything I've come up with on my own, but it still puts episode 105 just a couple of weeks after Elseworlds. And then Arrow had that months-long jump in its Season 7 finale, so I don't think it's unreasonable to guess that we're still comfortably in last season's timeframe.

Then again, there's nothing to stop them from dropping in a throwaway line like "hey remember when we did that thing [last week's episode] six months ago?" or something like that. It's a bit confusing for us the viewer, but it's really not a hard fix for the writers to make.
                  According to the showrunner, episode 4 catches us up. It was a very low key reference.

Comment

I probably wont watch this long time. Too much LGBT themes in the show for how much i can stand it.
                    And well the amount of training she got and cant fight still. Show names needs to be Batgirl and not women as shes to young to be called batwomen. Especially when batwomen was like around the age of Batman.
                    sorry about my lack of language skills as it is not my daily language and have learned it by my self as not from any help of others or a school

Comment

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
                      I probably wont watch this long time. Too much LGBT themes in the show for how much i can stand it.
                      And well the amount of training she got and cant fight still. Show names needs to be Batgirl and not women as shes to young to be called batwomen. Especially when batwomen was like around the age of Batman.
                      You're not gonna like the next ep., then.
                      Spoiler:
                      They focus on the forced breakup of Kate & her S.O again.

I don''t care if Kate & others are [mod snip], and till this week, the alphabet soup content wasn't over the top. If it's part of the story, fine.
                      For example, that Kate and her S.O. in the pilot had to break up or leave the military academy was a good illustration of the unfairness those folks can face. But this week's ep. went over that territory again, for no apparent reason. The point has been made, move on.

I like the show, but Berlanti does have a habit of turning his shows into political soapboxes. I put up with a fair it of that with "Supergirl", because I was already into that show. But I'm not going to give a lot of slack on this show.

As far as Batwoman/Batgirl goes, I think Batwoman is a better choice. She's obviously a mature woman, as opposed to a pre-pubescent pre-teen or teenager.

But to be fair, anyone under the age of 40 is pretty much a child in my book.
                      Last edited by GateWorld; 28 January 2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        To be honest, I'm not "feeling" this show. Kate is inept, needs the suit, and just is a sub-par replacement for batman. The whole series so far has been about destroying the suit, and taking jabs at "not batman".
                        Your premise that the "whole series has been about destroying the suit, and taking jabs at 'not batman'" is unfounded.

The suit remains intact and in use as of episode 7. It took them about four episodes before the Batman suit was repurposed as Batwoman, that's not destroying, that's working with what you have.

As far as "taking jabs", that's been the news lady voiceover. Which hasn't been impacting the story of an episode as much as providing a critical voice in Kate's head.

No one else has been putting Batwoman down and not one person has described her as "not batman" that isn't a villain. A villain may taunt and a good guy may express a desire to stop her, but those aren't jabs.

Originally posted by lopo30 View Post
                        And well the amount of training she got and cant fight still.
                        She can fight, she's taken down plenty of villains and henchmen. As far as the LGBT themes, that's related to the show's main character's identity. That's not something she hides or dismisses. Kate's a fighter and if someone tries to pull her down, she'll push back.

You're going to see her date women, you'll going to see people comment on her relationships or lack of relationships. And it definitely seems like the tension between her and her academy love, Sophie, will continue because Sophie hasn't come out as a bisexual, lesbian, whatever person. Her husband doesn't know about her past with Kate, their boss' daughter.

But that's it. It's not like the show is saying, all straight people are villains or bad. It's showing the life, a very soapboxy life, of a lesbian superhero.

Superhero comics have always been soapboxy and have gotten more so as time and continuity increases. The basic reason of showing LGBT characters is that they are regular human beings. Their not scifi or fantasy characters, they are living human beings

So whether the main character is straight or not, you are STILL going to see soapboxy elements, Welcome to television and the CW!

Just try not to let it distract you. I know I was distracted in Buffy by the lesbian couple there. It just wasn't something I was used to seeing. Now, I just see the characters/actors and the emotions at play.

Comment

Working...
                        X