How would you rank the terminator films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you rank the terminator films

Hey guys. With Terminator Dark Fate to be released and my expectations as low as can be, I was curious how you would rank the terminator movies and why.

Here’s mine

1) Terminator 2 Judgement Day
    I’m pretty sure we’re all going to share the same top two. Let me put it this way. If you can make clearly CGI goo intimidating you’re doing something right. The T1000 felt like a slasher from a horror movie. When you saw the 1000, you crapped yourself. There characters were awesome. Sarah Connor was awesome. John Connor was awesome. The 800 was awesome. You felt from all of them. I loved that the 800 was learning human emotions and whatnot. You could feel it learning. And this made its sacrifice at the end all the better. The action was on point and held me the entire way. Seeing what Sarah was after being the terrified woman in the first movie was also awesome. And you felt not only for her but for the doctors containing her. If you had seen what Sarah saw, you’d behave the same way. And if you met a woman claiming what Sarah claim, you’d think she was nuts. It all the more tragic. Overall, classic.

2) Terminator 1
    T2 may have done it better, but T1 did it first. While it didn’t get it as awesome as T2, T1 gets all the same points right. The human elements are on point. Sarah Connor was the every man. It was so easy to put yourself in her shoes because she was essentially us but thrown into the crosshairs of a terminator. Kyle Reese was enjoyable. And the terminator was even more of a horror movie slasher than T2. Except, he’s a slasher that uses guns. Most slashers get bested by things like doors or cars cuz they only have a machete or axe. This Arnold can shoot which is even better. And there’s something almost Lovecraftian about him. Sure Skynet isn’t an unknowable entity but you get the feeling he is an agent for something greater and malevolent. And I love Sarah’s transition from scared victim to warrior throughout the film. Overall, a slasher film done right.

3) Terminator Genysis
    This is where I’m sure opinions will divide but I feel Genysis was severely underrated. From here on out, no films come close to recapturing the essence of the first two. But Genysis comes the closest. Though it seems to have a transition from horror to scifi action. You can see this in the terminators. They no longer feel like slashers in a horror movies. The 800 and 1000 which came off as monsters in the original two no longer carry the same intimidating presence. They feel like killer robots in a scifi romp. You can also see that in Sarah Connor. In T2 she felt like a grizzled survivor. She had grit. She had weight. Sarah here feels like a quippy one liner action hero. So the human element was the strongest element in the first two films. Genysis doesn’t have the same level but it has some. Pops was very enjoyable. Sarah was pretty good. I loved the chemistry between them, especially pops showing affection in his own robotic way. Reese was forgettable. Passable but forgettable. He didn’t detract from the film but had didn’t add either. I like a lot of the ideas in the show. The T3000 is the most original terminator created after the first two and is really cool. (The Rev9 and TX feel like the writers simply slapped together the 800 and 1000). The malleability of the 1000 was its strength and its weakness. It could go anywhere but if you shot it with a grenade it would need a few seconds to pull itself back together. The 3000 could become as malleable as the 1000 at will or remain as sturdy as an endoskeleton model. John Connor becoming the bad guy was really cool (too bad the marketing SUCKED!!!!!!). I’ve heard some ppl claim that this was a betrayal of his character. I disagree. It wasn’t like he willingly betrayed and abandoned his ideals (I’m looking at you Star Wars). He was clearly killed then rebuilt. He died and the enemy used his corpse for their gain Overall, fun movie.

4) Terminator Salvation
    I won’t call Salvation bad. But I can’t call it good. I can appreciate the effort but the execution failed. We finally get to see the war against the machines after three movies. So audiences kinda expected a war against the machines. What we got was a personal story. Which is fine. But they also failed in that aspect. If we hadn’t seen John for three films we would never care about him. The only memorable person was Markus and even calling him memorable is stretching it. Markus didn’t go through any sort of arc or story or anything. He didn’t have anything interesting personality traits. He wasn’t relatable. That last sacrifice scene was supposed to be touching but it didn’t really have the same impact as the sacrifice in T2. In T2, the 800 started out as unfeeling, nothing but numbers with no concept of attachment or sacrifice. So when he does sacrifice himself, it’s heartfelt as it had learned this. Markus behaved and thought as a human would at the beginning and he did the same at the end. Still, the post-apocalyptic landscape was cool. It was cool seeing all the new terminator models. I like how john didn’t just conveniently become the resistance leader and had to work his way up. I like how the T800 was portrayed as an unstoppable juggernaut. Overall, had some good elements.

5) Terminator 3 Rise of the machines
    I really don’t have much to say about this one. It’s a blander rehash of the first two. I mean, I’m glad it ended with the actual end of the world and not ‘we delayed judgement day…again’. But this was just a pale imitation doing the same song and dance as the first two films. The TX was not intimidating and comes off as if the writers couldn’t of a new terminator so they just slapped the 800 and 1000 together. It didn’t even come off as a badass killer robot. I mean, I like the idea of a terminator killer, but it didn’t have any feels to it at all. Characters weren’t good either. Arnold was passable. John Connor was annoying. Kate Baxter was completely forgettable. Overall, I was bored. I was bored until the climax when the machine started killing everyone. Overall, didn’t have anything except a few actions scenes at the end.

So that’s my list. What doers yours look like and why?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

1. Terminator 2 (extended version)
    2. The Terminator
    99. Salvation
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

1. Terminator 2
      2. Salvation
      3. Terminator
      4. Genisys
      5. Terminator 3

Sorry but Salvation was a lot of fun.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Sorry but Salvation was a lot of fun.
        It's the only one of the garbage films that I don't completely despise, which is why my 'list' isn't just the two original films
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Terminator 2
          Terminator
          Who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            It's the only one of the garbage films that I don't completely despise, which is why my 'list' isn't just the two original films
            I've kinda always looked at Terminator films as basically being all the same. T2 is definitely a great film but the others just are what they are... Honestly I always thought the whole thing never really deserved the franchise it got. There's just not enough depth to it.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
            X