Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Short Treks (spoilers for all released episodes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek: Short Treks (spoilers for all released episodes)

As discussed in over in another thread....a specific thread to discuss the Short Treks!

Episode 101 "Runaway" (released 10/04/2018)
    Setting: 2257, during Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery

"Runaway" is set sometime early in Season 2, as Tilly is shown here as an Ensign, with the Starfleet Medal of Honor visible in her quarters (she was awarded both of these at the end of the Season 1 finale). It shows Tilly's first meeting with Po, who later reappears in the first half of Discovery's Season 2 finale, "Such Sweet Sorrow" Part 1.

Episode 102 "Calypso" (released 11/08/2018)
    Setting: The distant future

"Calypso" is, currently, a sort of coda to the entire franchise. Set aboard the USS Discovery, a thousand years after the ship was "abandoned," this episode has no other ties to anything else in the Star Trek universe.

Episode 103 "The Brightest Star" (released 12/06/2018)
    Setting: 2239

Set 17 years before the pilot episode of Star Trek: Discovery, "The Brightest Star" is a prequel that tells the story of how Saru left his homeworld and came to serve in Starfleet. This Short Trek is a tie-in to the Discovery Season 2 episode "The Sound of Thunder."

Episode 104 "The Escape Artist" (released 01/03/2019)
    Setting: 2250s

A Harry Mudd-centric story which appears to be set sometime after Mudd's appearances in Season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery. "The Escape Artist" is also something of a loose tie-in to the TOS episode "I, Mudd."

Episode 201 "Q&A" (released 10/05/2019)
    Setting: 2254 (approximately)

"Q&A" is set exclusively aboard Captain Pike's USS Enterprise, and depicts Ensign Spock's first day aboard as a member of her crew. This places this story sometime prior to the TOS pilot episode "The Cage," which was set in 2254 (three years before Discovery Season 1).

Episode 202 "The Trouble with Edward" (released 10/09/2019)
    Setting: Late 2250s/early 2260s

Opening with a brief cameo by Captain Pike, "The Trouble with Edward" actually follows the first command mission of one of Pike's officers who has been promoted to Captain of her own ship. This Short Trek isn't connected to any other series, but does serve as a loose prequel to the TOS episode "The Trouble with Tribbles."

Episode 203 "Ask Not" (released 11/14/2019)
    Setting: Late 2250s/early 2260s

"Ask Not" features a young Starfleet cadet, tasked with guarding Captain Pike, who has been arrested. When Starbase 28 comes under attack, she has to decide whether or not she will release him from custody to help with the defense. This Short Trek isn't connected to any other series.

Episode 204 "The Girl Who Made the Stars" (released 12/12/2019)
    Setting: Early 2230s

Set when Michael Burnham is just a kid, a lightning storm in space scares her, and her dad tries to ease her fear by telling her a story about a brave little girl who faced her own fears head on.

Episode 205 "Ephraim and Dot" (released 12/12/2019)
    Setting: 2267–2285

Ephraim, a humble tardigrade, is flying through the mycelial network when an unexpected encounter takes her on a bewildering adventure through space.

Episode 206 "Children of Mars" (released 01/09/2020)
    Setting: 24th century

Little information about this Short Trek has been released as of yet. It will be a prequel episode to Star Trek: Picard.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 13 December 2019, 02:59 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I thought "The Trouble with Edward" was a total hoot, I loved it.

But the sad thing is, I've worked with people like him in the past.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I loved it too, H. Jon Benjamin cracks me up whatever he appears in

I suspect it'll be the last time we see her, but I liked the new captain as well. It was kind of neat to see a new captain on her first assignment--and then her straight-up honesty to the board of admirals at the end

How about that tie-in to The Trouble with Tribbles, though? There's just something about Star Trek that loves coming back to that episode...
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I kind of thought Capt. Lucero looked a bit on the young side to be a captain.

But then I looked up the actress, Rosa Salazar, on IMDB, and she was 34 on her last birthday.

My word, she looks barely out of her teens!
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          I kind of thought Capt. Lucero looked a bit on the young side to be a captain.

But then I looked up the actress, Rosa Salazar, on IMDB, and she was 34 on her last birthday.

My word, she looks barely out of her teens!
          not to mention that she wouldn't be the first young person to be a starship captain....the lady who wound up getting infected with one of those parasites in TNG's "Conspiracy" was pretty young when she made captain

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
            not to mention that she wouldn't be the first young person to be a starship captain....the lady who wound up getting infected with one of those parasites in TNG's "Conspiracy" was pretty young when she made captain
            Good call, I forgot about her.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tryla_Scott

Attained the rank of Captain faster than anyone in Starfleet history, though they didn't actually say how old she was at the time.

Comment

Ok, from memory it goes something like this.

In the ToS era (2260s) James Kirk is the youngest captain, having attained that rank at age 29.

In the TNG era (2360s) Jean luc Picard is the youngest, at age 28.

So, Captain Tryla Scott from "Conspiracy" must've been younger than Picard, and have done something pretty damn spectacular to have been promoted to Captain in her mid/late 20s.
              sigpic

Comment

Some people forget that "Captain" is a position as well as a rank.

So, on a smaller ship, an officer with the rank of Lieutenant who was the commanding officer would be addressed as Captain.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                  Ok, from memory it goes something like this.

In the ToS era (2260s) James Kirk is the youngest captain, having attained that rank at age 29.

In the TNG era (2360s) Jean luc Picard is the youngest, at age 28.

So, Captain Tryla Scott from "Conspiracy" must've been younger than Picard, and have done something pretty damn spectacular to have been promoted to Captain in her mid/late 20s.
                  Kirk was 32 when he was given command of Enterprise. As for Picard, he was given command of the Stargazer at a young age but it's never stated if he was promoted to the rank of Captain or just given the post of Captain He was the ship's flight officer when he joined the crew at 28 with the rank of Lieutenant Commander. I believe with Captain Tryla in Conspiracy Picard's exact words were that she "made Captain" faster than anyone else in Starfleet history. That implies the rank of Captain. It also doesn't discount the possibility that she simply got promotions faster than anyone else but if she joined the Academy late then she might not actually be the youngest.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

New episode "Ask Not" released the other day.

I liked it well enough, but it seemed like it was very, very short. And it also seemed like it was a character introduction for someone who would be in a Captain Pike series, should they decide to do that...

Comment

The "twist" was a bit obvious, I though, and the huge Enterprise engine room annoyed me.

But on the other hand, the engine room we saw in ToS was (I assumed) impulse control, rather than where the warp core lived.
                      sigpic

Comment

The twist was a bit obvious, I agree.

Was that meant to be the engine room though? Admittedly I don't know what else they would've been going for. (And never once in my 30+ years of watching Trek did I ever have the impression that the TOS engine room was impulse control)

Comment

Yeah, Pike says "Welcome to engineering."

But perhaps this is the point in time where the ship's compliment is increased from 200 to over 400?
                          sigpic

Comment

Ah I just looked, you're right, he does say that.

That's an interesting thought re: when the crew compliment increases. The episode doesn't give a date, and we know they're at a starbase, and there's definitely welding going on when she sees the big engineering room. Perhaps the ship is undergoing the refit that makes it necessary to have that many people aboard!

Wild speculation stemming out of that: if the ship is in the middle of a big refit, I suppose it's quite possible that the engineering section of the ship is gutted to do the work, removing walls and decks to do the retrofitting work. (This may end up being my fanwank head canon with no on-screen confirmation of such lol)

Comment

It's fun to speculate where each bit fits into the overall timeline.

This takes place at some point after "Q&A", since Spock's aboard.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X