HD Release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD Release?

I know this may have been done to death. Any one have a clue when and or if MGM & Co. may release SG1 in HD. I know the film stock can support HD (Season 1 & 2 were shot in 16mm, which can be used for HD with some enhancing and 3-7 was shot in 35mm which is perfect for HD), so it isn't a film quality issue. I know it will cost money, but you would figure with all of us hard core Gaters out there you would figure the demand would be there. Or is it a situation that studio doesn't want to spend the money.
    Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
    End of line.

This is literally an age old question... at least since the HD-age.

But considering MGM has not gone that way yet with older releases, I'd say the chances of it happening are rather slim (to none existent).

They do claim that the Stargate franchise is near and dear to them but I don't get that impression from them really, the way it has been treated, or how fans are treated.

Personally, I'm not going to spend more money on a new set of DVD/BR version of the series. I already own them and I'm quite okay but with the quality.

I find that we've been spoiled so much with HD and superquality that we now want it all in splendid editions but I quite like the filmgrain from the old days.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Star Trek TOS cost 1M per episode to remaster... And that's just 3 seasons. And the main reason DS9 and VOY weren't remastered was because the TOS and TNG remasters didn't get a sufficient return of investment.

While the raw footage was shot in 16, and later 35, mm film not everything was shot on film. Being a science fiction show, plenty of shots contain CGI, which are rendered digitally. As with Star Trek, if there would be any remaster, they'd had to recreate all the visual effects to be rendered at HD resolutions, which in turn would look much worse.

I'm all for it though. Even redoing the visual effects would allow them to fix errors and upgrade effects to match the later seasons. Yes, I love the shows as they are, but I still think that by remastering everything in HD would allow it to stand the tests of time. Because I know for a fact that the vast majority of people who'd be interested in such older shows are put off by their SD quality. With Stargate having been shot in 16:9 since day 1, and with only the first 7 seasons of SG-1 not being in HD, if the entire franchise was in HD then you'd hardly think about how old it actually is. Atlantis, regardless of whether you're watching it on DVD or Blu-ray, ages quite well. I can hardly notice it's a show from 2003.

I love what CBS did with Star Trek, and somewhere I do hope DS9 and VOY will get the treatment because they too deserve it. Stargate deserves it too (and really only the first 7 seasons need to be remastered, as after that the episodes were shot in HD and VFX were more "standardized"). But unfortunately it will cost almost as much as making new episodes. And seeing as MGM won't even do that... Hell, not even SGU S2 is on Blu-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
        Atlantis, regardless of whether you're watching it on DVD or Blu-ray, ages quite well. I can hardly notice it's a show from 2003.
        Well, yes and no

The VFX still look fabulous on BD, but the sets (particularly the Atlantis ones) look super cheap in better resolution. Sort of the argument that, maybe we don't really need to see every freckle and pimple and hair follicle on a character's face.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Well, yes and no

The VFX still look fabulous on BD, but the sets (particularly the Atlantis ones) look super cheap in better resolution. Sort of the argument that, maybe we don't really need to see every freckle and pimple and hair follicle on a character's face.
          I respectfully, but definitely wholeheartedly , disagree. The sets still look good. What about it looks "cheap"? What may look "cheap" could very well be just the general architectural style. Not every wall needs to be filled with pipes, cables, signs, buttons, etc. . Other than that, 90% of TV sets, from the 1960s to the 2010s, are made from the same materials (that is, sets on a stage, excluding location shoots in real buildings). But Atlantis doesn't actually exist, sadly, so they had to improvise ...

Comment

Star Trek TOS cost 1M per episode to remaster...

[snip for length]

Stargate deserves it too (and really only the first 7 seasons need to be remastered, as after that the episodes were shot in HD and VFX were more "standardized"). But unfortunately it will cost almost as much as making new episodes. And seeing as MGM won't even do that... Hell, not even SGU S2 is on Blu-ray.
            1 million per episode -- -- yeah no, MGM's not gonna spend that on any Stargate.... It wasn't even spend on Origins.

We can definitely kiss that HD-quality goodbye, unless we do it ourselves, like how fans rebuild lost Doctor Who episodes.

But Atlantis doesn't actually exist, sadly, so they had to improvise ...
            The interior sets did.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I respectfully, but definitely wholeheartedly , disagree. The sets still look good. What about it looks "cheap"? What may look "cheap" could very well be just the general architectural style. Not every wall needs to be filled with pipes, cables, signs, buttons, etc. . Other than that, 90% of TV sets, from the 1960s to the 2010s, are made from the same materials (that is, sets on a stage, excluding location shoots in real buildings). But Atlantis doesn't actually exist, sadly, so they had to improvise ...
              Nah, I just find the Atlantis sets look kind of....flimsy. Where the SGC sets actually looked and felt like poured concrete and the SGU sets like rusted steel hallways (in both low and high-def!), the Atlantis sets manage to look like they've just slapped some paint onto sheets of plywood. Sometimes you can even see the floors or walls bend/give a little bit when the actors put weight on them. The city's interface/computer screens (or the gate dialing keyboard) look and feel less like the solid glass of a smartphone or Starfleet LCARS interface, and more like the cheap plastic. Even the gate itself looks like if you hit it with a hammer, shards of plastic would shatter off of it, vs. the gates of the other two series that feel like the things are made of stone. And watching in HD on the Blu-ray just makes all of this more pronounced.

If ever Stargate comes back, and Atlantis makes an appearance, I'm really hoping that they do a better job/use better materials when constructing the new sets.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Nah, I just find the Atlantis sets look kind of....flimsy. Where the SGC sets actually looked and felt like poured concrete and the SGU sets like rusted steel hallways (in both low and high-def!), the Atlantis sets manage to look like they've just slapped some paint onto sheets of plywood. Sometimes you can even see the floors or walls bend/give a little bit when the actors put weight on them. The city's interface/computer screens (or the gate dialing keyboard) look and feel less like the solid glass of a smartphone or Starfleet LCARS interface, and more like the cheap plastic. Even the gate itself looks like if you hit it with a hammer, shards of plastic would shatter off of it, vs. the gates of the other two series that feel like the things are made of stone. And watching in HD on the Blu-ray just makes all of this more pronounced.

If ever Stargate comes back, and Atlantis makes an appearance, I'm really hoping that they do a better job/use better materials when constructing the new sets.
                While you're right, more-or-less, about SGU, all the things you point out apply 100% to the SGC as well. You can clearly see that the "concrete" walls are not actually solid walls; there's a clear gap between most walls and the floor (because they could be moved or replaced to change the set). And then there's the control room blast door, which if raised would block the window of the briefing room. That's why you never see it being raised or lowered the whole way, as it had to be hung in place about halfway up.

And all three gates were made of the same resin material. Hell, every time the SGC gate starts or stops spinning you see it wiggling, and with any close up you could see the imperfections, and even some of the damage. Not to mention the hooks where the "iris" would hang on. It definitely doesn't give you the feel it's made of stone, at least not any more than with the Atlantis gate.

Not that any of this is a bad thing. It adds charm to the shows, just like the 60s vibe of Star Trek TOS and the odd "whoosh" flyby and other shots of the Enterprise, which they kept even in the remaster.

Comment

Working...
                X