No announcement yet.

The prospect of a new show, and how it could be approached [Not Fanfic!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FH : Thank you, you have made my day with your positive comment. I was thinking on Stargate and different settings, characters, story ideas as a mental escape from the boring reality.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
      FH : Thank you, you have made my day with your positive comment. I was thinking on Stargate and different settings, characters, story ideas as a mental escape from the boring reality.
      I'm looking forward to playing the RPG with you... not sure how yet, but we'll figure it out.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

RPG? If anyone wants to play a Stargate RPG, call me. I've got stuff that could help (just need the actual books when/if they come out, and come up with a story, maps, and artwork)

Comment

Great! That's three players... or two players and a game master.

Comment

Yay. Three of us here again. Three of us should have been SuperFans, but never mind...

NickEast : just check the RPG thread. Honestly, I am a bit sceptic if the new rulebook will be ever puboished.

Hopefully I can lead you into my Stargate realm with some fan fiction or/and open brainstorming. Maybe the "official" Stargate is dead, but we know the universe is infinite. But according to Skaara's modified quote, even the death of the franchise is only the beginning of the journey. There are so many creative people here, who has made posters, comics and animations in the past, so maybe short 2--3 minutes "projects" could be the next step as a non-profit SG fan project. So every story, idea, scene can happen in an alternate reality, so don't be shy to share them even if it sounds ridicolous.

Here is a quick improvization (fan fiction is coming) :
            Earlier I was thinking on such an idea, where my DHD living Jinn character can see on the network map in the Hub that some abnormal gate activities are concentrated only in one world, then he sends out a team to find out what is going on. They arrive with their "shell" ship which uses the latest stargate drive technology. They find a very modern noir type world which has got many Stargates, but they can be found only one planet. The local noir nations could use this network for travelling (like the doors in Monsters inc). So the team arrive there and the shell occupied the stargate, they decide to study the local civilization. They find out the locals have translated some Ancient ruins which has given them a big technological boost. Unfortunately the team was treated as intruders after the first contact, so when they want to escape and they manage to flee back to the cloaked shell ship, they find out they can't dial out from the planet after the local modifications, but they can jump to the next one. They discover that there are 39 gates on the surface of the planet, which is against any stargate protocol what they have encountered before and even the navigation of shell is starting to malfunction as it shows every location as 8 symbol addresses. At least they know now that the unusual gate activity was that the gates are used for daily transport between the continents. They also find out that the locals are not evolved enough to understand the higher gate technology, so there must be some secret what they haven't told them. The team findnd out that the Ancient ruin was actually a crashed gate seeding ship which was still working, but it was unable to be repaired to fly again. This ship could make dozents of stargates but since the locals didn't know any coordinates, they could never dial out. The seeder ship has got only one 8 symbol coordinate and when they compare it with their reading it is actually the local planet's dialing code from an other galaxy. The seeding ship was called back centuries ago by someone, but then the ship has crashed into the atmosphere. The team finds out with their unique shell ship that all the local gates have got the same coordinates. They have to use 8 symbols, where the first 6 and the last one is the same, but the the 7th symbol is different and it works like a point of origin within the same location. So this was the way how the locals could place only 39 gates on the planet, but since they have never found any cartouche they could never leave their homeplanet. The team also realizes they couldn't dial out as the priority is shared between the newly named "subgates" and only one can be dominant and even their shell ship can't cope with it. So they have to jump around to find the original stargate, so they could escape. Since the locals would be a treat anyway to the galaxy, they decide they won't reveal that they are part of a bigger network. They also make a vote in the Hub that they have to turn off their network, so they will dial them to infect their network, while the Jinn warns the team that the local overactive mini-stargate network is maybe neutralized and the flow of the cosmic background radiation (CBR) restored, but maybe they have just released a new hostile threat to the galaxy with their actions....

I hope you liked it. This idea could work in any stargate network, while it connects and extends the gate lore. There could be any human or alien race on the planet, while their motivations could be varied whatever the main plot needs.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

IMHO the only approach that will work is just a straight reboot. Go back to the core idea of SG1.

Mallozzi wrote a blog ages ago that the core demographic of SG1 was in the 40'-50's. (IE the "younger" audience for SGU was in the 30's-40's range not teens as got endlessly memed). That demographic is pretty much gone by now. SGU failed to make the core group younger. Trying to recapture the old fanbase is doomed to fail because it doesn't exist.

What's left is to build on a new fanbase.

Comment

With the way MGM is treating it, the existing fanbase is all they can use. And a reboot would definitely destroy what's left of that small fanbase. I'll reiterate: there is no reason to create a reboot. Target audience, passed time, actor's ages, fan's ages, nothing says it needs to be rebooted. Creating a new show does NOT mean it has to feature the same actors or the same stories. It just needs to build upon the universe that already exists rather than start over with younger actors.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                  RPG? If anyone wants to play a Stargate RPG, call me. I've got stuff that could help (just need the actual books when/if they come out, and come up with a story, maps, and artwork)
                  There -is- an existing SG-1 TTRPG out now: https://rpggeek.com/rpg/813/stargate-sg-1

It's not that good of a system, but you could hack the skills into a better system.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Stargate should return to exploration, first contacts, character drama, moral questions and also fun. I believe the adventure and the mythology based fantasy elements were the real success of this franchise as other scifis don't build so strongly on legends, gods, old mythical places. There are bigger and better space ship related scifis on the market, but we have got a gate system which can be expanded and evolved with the additional new networks, new galaxies, new gate functions or even different time eras. It is a shame that MGM doesn't want to invest into it as literally stargate is one of the best story telling device what could work in cinema or on tv small screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                      Maybe he has ascended.

What we need... (Chiana.... ) ... so what we need to be able think outside of the box. I mean we loved SG-1 and Atlantis and the Destiny ship, but a new SG show should not necessarily build on these characters and places. I mean everyone wants a direct in-canon continuation and not a reboot, but a new show should stand on its own. We could still refer to old storylines and characters, but sometimes I feel that most of the fanfictions are strongly connected to the source material instead of letting it go.
                      I agree with everything you said. Introducing new elements, plots, characters, storylines, sets, props, filming locations and cast does not mean it must be a re-boot. Hence why I said what I said about SGC creating its own versions of the already discovered tech and science knowledge and use it in brand new storylines with brand new everything and everyone. Maybe even discovering new stuff like, perhaps, a different-looking Stargate which is far more advanced than eny other model and was not entirely developed by the Ancients? What if that was used to introduce a new race that has developed their own science and tech based on their own mythology?

I think, for once, Stargate should explore something that is not directly connected to our civilization or to our own planet. It'd be interesting to see new SG teams/expeditions banging their heads over something that their SG team/expedition predecessors didn't encounter with. A storyline like that could also reveal that the Ancients also had the tendency to take credit for tech they didn't create.

That way, new places could easily be introduced, even new tech, new knolwedge, new mythology, all of which could help the science teams over at SGC to begin to understand the previously discivered stuff. That way, old characters wouldn't be needed and the old storylines wouldn't need to be continued, but instead, new storylines could be created that utilize some of the old tech and the new tech. That would enable for the new movie/TV show to stand on its own since only new characters would be used, while still maintaining the connection to what and who came before.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        There -is- an existing SG-1 TTRPG out now: https://rpggeek.com/rpg/813/stargate-sg-1

It's not that good of a system, but you could hack the skills into a better system.
                        That's the old Stargate RPG, which I already knew existed. It's out of print (though I did manage to find the PDFs). But it's based on D&D 3.5e, which is a little complicated for me to jump into. And I have no time to really homebrew everything (and other alternatives aren't that good either). Having a new modern dedicated RPG system makes it easier to get into.

That said, I'm willing to try something if there's sufficient interest, and time, for a group to be assembled and play at some point. I already have a "spin-off" story set during SG-1 that I could use.

Comment

I have zero experience with RPG's but I would love to learn so ... I'm game.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                            That's the old Stargate RPG, which I already knew existed. It's out of print (though I did manage to find the PDFs). But it's based on D&D 3.5e, which is a little complicated for me to jump into. And I have no time to really homebrew everything (and other alternatives aren't that good either). Having a new modern dedicated RPG system makes it easier to get into.
                            It's actually based on Spycraft, which is a D&D 3.0 variant, which is a far more skill heavy variant of D&D, which adds more complexity to what is a VERY simple system. I would suggest looking at Space D6 as an alternative.

(Spoiler in case it breaks forum rules)
                            There ARE other Systems you could adapt, I've lost count of the systems I have played and run, so If you want an "old hand" at TTRPG's, hit me up here, or on the Wyvern thread, or just PM me.
                            That said, I'm willing to try something if there's sufficient interest, and time, for a group to be assembled and play at some point. I already have a "spin-off" story set during SG-1 that I could use.
                            The Gate is open, are you willing to step through?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              It's actually based on Spycraft, which is a D&D 3.0 variant, which is a far more skill heavy variant of D&D, which adds more complexity to what is a VERY simple system. I would suggest looking at Space D6 as an alternative.

(Spoiler in case it breaks forum rules)
                              There ARE other Systems you could adapt, I've lost count of the systems I have played and run, so If you want an "old hand" at TTRPG's, hit me up here, or on the Wyvern thread, or just PM me.

The Gate is open, are you willing to step through?
                              I also have D6 Space I also think adapting Star Trek Adventures could work to a degree. And I have the previous version of Savage Worlds.

Comment

Space D6, or a skill variant of James bond (old Victory edition) would be -perfect- for SG-1, far better than the actual old AEG system.
                                You need to play with the skills, but the core system just works, without needing levels or other complications.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X