Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The prospect of a new show, and how it could be approached [Not Fanfic!]

Well hello.

After lurking around on GateWorld for a few months without actually signing up, I thought it was finally about time to register and throw my hat and thoughts into the ring. I'm an avid Sci-Fi fan and after finishing yet another rewatch of every show in the franchise (besides Infinity and Origins), my mind naturally went on to consider ways in which the franchise could move forward now that a new show is a definitive prospect.

We know MGM have approached Brad Wright about rebooting - or more precisely - continueing the Stargate franchise properly, after their failed attempt to satisfy fans with Stargate: Origins. And I believe this is indeed a very good thing. We see alot of other franchises being rebooted in recent years, where the reboots do not stay true to the existing established source material, characters, canon and timelines. Take Stargate Discovery for an example. Science fiction fans are thirsting to see their favorite characters from existing stories brought back to life on the tv-screen. In all this mess where shows get politicized and franchises betray what the fans hold dear, Brad Wright gives us hope that Stargate will not make that mistake and will actually stay true to 17 seasons of established cast and canon.

Now, to pick up the franchise where it left off is indeed very tricky. Stargate Universe ends with the Destiny in a very peculiar situation, the crew in the stasis pods and Eli left with not alot of time to fix his own, let alone figure out a way to maybe change that outcome of what would happen within the three years of stasis if the Destiny were to continue on the course it is currently set to follow.

There are multiple ways to resolve this (and while I know the story has already been continued in comic form, a new show would have to pick up at the ending of the second season of SGU simply because the majority of Stargate fans just aren't familiar with the comics and only ever watched the show on TV).
    - We know Atlantis has a type of wormhole drive that far exceeds the speed and range of classic intergalactic hyperdrives. This is one potential way to get to the Destiny and get the crew on board before the Destiny will be out of reach forever.
    - We know Rodney McKay and Samantha Carter managed to build the gate bridge and link gates to pass on their buffer to the next gate instead of materializing it. This could potentially be used in a different form with the gates seeded by the seed ships along the path the Destiny took.
    - There is the potential option of cloning the crew of the Destiny on earth with existing DNA samples, then using Asgard technology to download the consciousness of the crew members from the Destiny into those bodies using the ancient communication stones.
    - Ori supergate anyone?

Why would the new show have to begin by resolving the storyline of the Destiny?
    It wouldn't. But the story really should be resolved given the opportunity, and there are pretty good options to do this.
    2 main ways actually.
    First of all, the first season of the new show could resolve the storyline on the side, with nobody from the Destiny actually appearing until the end of the season when Rodney and Sam finally manage to bring them home with either of the three techniques mentioned.
    Alternatively, if one season equals one year in the Stargate universe, then the three year statis could mean that the new show has three seasons for the characters to come up with a solution, and it would make for a bigger overarching storyline.

Here's a few things I really think the new show needs to do in order to live up to expectations:
    - most of the existing and established living characters should appear, some of them as recurring characters, and some of them potentially even as series regulars such as Dr. Rodney McKay.
    - the Stargate program will have to be disclosed to the public at some point during this show, since all notable enemies in the home galaxy have been defeated by now, the Ori have been dealt with, Ba'al is dead, and the Wraith do not yet have the ability to reach earth again so easily.
    - the inhabitants of the Pegasus Galaxy need to play a role of some form. The Wraith as villains have not been dealt with, there are still several dozen hive ships out there and they still need somebody to feed on. Also the Asgard in the Pegasus Galaxy could come in as very handy allies - or potential enemies.
    - the Stargate Universe storyline has to be resolved, not necessarily right at the beginning but over a time span of several episodes or seasons for sure.

We know a new show would necessarily come with a new cast of main characters, with certain old characters now inhabiting new roles. Where to take these characters from is a very interesting question though. There is one possibility that I think hardly anyone has considered yet.
    We know from an appearance of Bill Nye on Blindspot and his mention there of Dr. Rodney McKay that both shows are set in the same universe. Blindspot is coming to an end after its upcoming 6th season, freeing up several cast members to potentially become leads in a new show.
    What I think could work would be for three of the Blindspot characters to end up with the SGC:
    Kurt Weller, Jane Doe, and Rich Dotcom.
    It is not even that far fetched. Kurt Weller and Jane Doe would make for excellent SG-Team members, and Rich Dotcom as a capable hacker would make sense to stumble across top secret Stargate Command documents somehow, linking the two shows.

The show could deal with a variety of issues. The disclosure of the Stargate program and subsequent putting it into different hands, which could lead to Homeland Security and the IOA ending up in charge (again that is, for the IOA). Dealing with the Lucian Alliance who might figure out Ori technology along the way to actually become an enemy worth taking serious throughout the show. Dealing with the Wraith and strategically bringing back Atlantis into the Pegasus as a base of operations in defeating them. Finally turning the free Jaffa nation into something that actually works and isn't constantly on the brink of civil war.

Overall there are enough existing storylines that haven't been resolved yet to properly do about 3 seasons of 16 episodes each, which would be more than the 10 episodes alot of other shows do nowadays, but still reasonable (considering The Walking Dead does it as well). If MGM really stands behind the franchise and gets Brad Wright the budget he needs, we could get a show bigger in scale than anything we've seen so far, but still staying true to every last bit of established canon. And if after 3 seasons the Wraith are defeated, the Lucian Alliance has been dealt with in a number of different possible ways, and the Destiny or at least its crew have been brought home, maybe this would really mark the point where disclosure of the program is the only option, and that is a storyline well worth exploring over the course of at least another season. How could it come to be? Many possible options. But how about a big spaceship like the Destiny landing somewhere where a coverup simply isn't possible, forcing the IOA to come forward and slowly disclose information one piece at a time over the course of the season, while we see the mess of reporters and international media trying to keep up and get their hands on new information ahead of time, and the whole stress this is gonna put on everyone already involved in the Stargate program.

Now is the time to do a new show, and there is so much great stuff that can be done with it. Amanda Tapping is up for it, David Hewlett is up for it, Richard Dean Anderson is up for it, Brad Wright is up for it, and I'm sure alot of the other actors will be up for it as well.

I'd really be interested in your thoughts on this. MGM currently has the opportunity to really crush the competition by doing this properly. The fan interest is there, the convention panels get more fans attending than ever before, and even the actors are in!

Mister Brad Wright, I hope you are going to make this happen!

Also on a side note:
    What would happen if you use a ring transporter but the recieving end gets destroyed or moved while the matter stream is still on its way? Would the matter stream fly until it hits something else, or would it just dissolve after a time.
    Also what would happen if you send the matter stream of a ring transporter into an active stargate?
    Two questions well worth exploring in a new series. Since in modern Sci-Fi with overarching storylines (as precedented by Babylon 5), there should usually be at least 2 main storylines going on per episode. An A story that only appears in the actual episode and happens in the foreground, a B story that happens over a span of a few episodes and is part of the larger overarching storyline, and a C story that could happen in the background and slowly evolve until it culminates in something either resolving or going terribly wrong and setting off a chain of events in B and A storylines.

Well anyways, thats my formulation of thoughts on a new stargate show and how it could be approached. What do you folks think? I'd love to get a discussion going about this to rule out bad ideas and get a more complete image of what this new show could be to really satisfy fans of all existing notable shows, while keeping the audience engaged and not drowning in fan service or repetitiveness.
    Have a great day and lets get this party going!

[apologies for any typos or grammatical errors, I'm not a native english speaker AND my keyboard isn't in the best condition, so sometimes keys might not have registered]
    "In the middle of my backswing?!?"

I don't want to be the pessimist in the da house here but the only thing Brad Wright is currently doing, is working on a new show, tentively named Timescape HQ. Nothing to do with Stargate whatsoever, though according to Mallozzi it might have some Dark Matter crossover potential.

MGM isn't interested in continuing stargate as a tv-series. If they were, they would make a lot more noise about it, and not let peakmoments of interest go to waste, or have you forgotten how quickly the "hype" for Origins died down? The fact we're still waiting for that alleged video of that alleged script table read almost 2 months ago. American Mythology hasn't heard from MGM since september 2018 about renewing the license to continue the comics.

A freaking RPG game developer gets a license to create a stargate themed RPG... That's called playing it safe in a market that's relatively small in comparison to, let's say, a video game. To me that screams MGM has no interest in spending too much money on their franchise. The more income, the better but investing is too much to ask. HECK, Stargate Origins was produced by Mercedes Bryce Morgen herself and the production company she's employed at, Vanishing Angles. MGM was barely involved. Oh yeah, they probably pay the bill for that stupid website of theirs... Stargate Command.

IF you there's ever a new Stargate show, it won't be with any of the characters from past series. For the love of all that is holy, I have no desire to see more of McKay at all. The "old" cast is literally too old for something new. They can come in and introduce the new cast which will consist of nobodies and maybe a name to pull in the audience -- as was the case with SG-1 (RDA).

In fact, the old cast would the fan service you so desperately want to avoid.

A new show should be that, new -- new characters, new stories, new enemies, new writers, new ideas, new actors/actresses, new everything... none of the old which has been done to death.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Can't say that I agree with most of what you said. MGM did approach Brad Wright, that much we know. He is in talks with them. Nothing has come of that as of yet, but since Dean Devlin pulled out of the Movie Reboot project and that has been put on ice, a new TV show is the most likely way that Stargate can move forward. After years of almost no news, alot of Stargate media has recieved alot of updates in the last 12 months, with the website being overhauled, the facebook pages being active again, and the youtube channel showing whole episodes to probe for interest. Yes the hype for Origins died down but mostly because Origins was a low budget tiny scale project not worthy of the name stargate and not staying true to established canon/timeline. Stargate is one of these shows where a Prequel really doesn't work. Which is what leads me to your statement about needing entirely new characters, stories, enemies, writers, actors, everything.
      I both agree and disagree. I think the new show will have to include a number of established characters and unresolved stories to really satisfy fans. I don't think any of the very old guard (SG1 for example) should be main characters anymore. But having Sam Carter in a George Hammond kind of role could work very well, with a cameo from RDA every now and then, and of course actors like Gary Jones and Bill Dow and Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge reprising their roles when needed. From the actors that haven't been in the franchise yet for 17 seasons like Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett we can probably expect alot more screentime, but of course any main characters in the new show would have to be new to the franchise or at least only have been minor side characters in the past (kind of like Woolsey or Rodney were before they became regulars on Atlantis). You being done with Rodney McKay is your opinion, but I wouldn't mind more of him as long as we get to see some character development and a bit less technobabble - or at least the technobabble being changed into something a bit more Sam Carter style - in that it actually makes sense physically for the most part. A new show with an entirely new setting and only new characters has only two ways it could happen: alternate universe/timeline or a setting a few decades from where SGU ended. I don't like the idea much of turning Stargate into a very futuristic franchise. What made the charm of SG1 was how at the beginning the technology standard on earth was basically mid 90s, and as the show went on, any new technologies discovered either made sense via just having been developed on earth, or respectively made sense via having been brought back to earth from alien civilizations.
      I don't think Stargate Origins is representative of what MGM thinks of the franchise. They made money off it for over a decade and made one of the best sci-fi franchises in history (probably only second to Babylon 5 really). Interest is there, they just have to be careful. With Star Trek Picard launching, Star Trek Discovery going on (longer than it ever should've tbh), 2 other Star Trek series being worked on, and The Orville on the air - not to mention The Expanse and The 100, there are currently a whole number of big Sci-Fi shows and franchises being worked on, and you can't just toss Stargate in there and hope that it sticks - they have to get the timing right and make sure they don't make some of the mistakes these other franchises made (like The 100's mistake of basically killing off any character over the age of 30, or STD's mistake of being too political and having one dimensional characters, or their own previous mistakes with SGU and SGO are too obvious to point out really).
      If they do it properly it can work great, and it will work best if the old characters are still there in that universe and show up when it makes sense. So actually not like Richard Dean Anderson did on SGU and SGA - where he basically just showed up for fan service.
      "In the middle of my backswing?!?"

Comment

As FH has stated MGM doesn't do anything with this brand. The story could still pass 10-20 years and the next generation of heroes could lead the new SG show while the older faces could have some cameos and references or their children could get some spotlight. There are so many nice fan fictions as all of us had different visions of the future of our SG heroes. If you read the MGM thread we have talked about it for two years how the franchise could be revived step by step, but then nothing has happened. And now it looks like the even the most loyal fans have moved on as life itself.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by PsychedeliCon View Post
          Can't say that I agree with most of what you said.
          Well, that's the fun part of being here in this place... I don't expect you to agree with my opinions, nor do I expect to agree with all of yours.

Doesn't mean we have to be enemies, though.

MGM did approach Brad Wright, that much we know. He is in talks with them.
          If my timing is correct, he's been in talks for 2 years... ever since around the time of SGO coming about.
          That's all there is, "talk of talks".

The problem with "talks" is exactly that, just talks. And in the meantime, MGM pretty much ignored the stargate tweet storm for which Command staff apologized a year later. "Too late" doesn't even cut it here.
          They have no stargate buzz -- they let it fizzle out every ******* time. They have zero social media precense, not as MGMStudios nor as StargateCommand.

Remember that "video from the table read at SDCC"... still hasn't passed the "check-fase". It's been 2 months. Yet again, a buzz that fizzled out.

...alot of Stargate media has recieved alot of updates in the last 12 months, with the website being overhauled, the facebook pages being active again, and the youtube channel showing whole episodes to probe for interest.
          You may not realize this because you're German, according to your location, but Stargate Command's all-access isn't actually available to most of us. So that overhaul made even less things accessible for people with no means of access to the hidden treasure trove all of 6 countries have access to.

I stopped visiting the place after the overhaul. I was done being treated as a 3rd class fan.

The Facebook pages of stargate... wouldn't know. I occasionally see it pass by in my timeline but usually with articles referencing Command which is blocked.

The Youtube channel shows episodes for 48 hours, and all of a sudden everyone can access that which they don't want to open to all fans @ Command because of what "license reasons"? They're not for gauging interest -- none of it is. That's just a sales pitch. I mean, does the audience grow?

Yes the hype for Origins died down but mostly because Origins was a low budget tiny scale project not worthy of the name stargate and not staying true to established canon/timeline.
          We couldn't disagree more than with Stargate Origins. I liked it. Watched it illegally of course because no access, remember.
          I want it on DVD and with commentary from the goofballs.

Stargate is one of these shows where a Prequel really doesn't work.
          It could work perfectly. The Ancient/Wraith war. The coming to power of the Goa'uld.
          Plenty of short miniseries could be build upon those subjects.

You being done with Rodney McKay is your opinion, but I wouldn't mind more of him as long as we get to see some character development and a bit less technobabble...
          The character has been overdeveloped. There's nothing left with him.
          That's the problem with McKay.

I don't hate him. I like him, but there's nothing left to discover. He is what he is.

I don't think Stargate Origins is representative of what MGM thinks of the franchise.
          If it isn't than they would never have allowed the project to happen. They were after all involved in its creation. Vanishing Angle probably footed most of the bill, but MGM was there with them.

They made money off it for over a decade and made one of the best sci-fi franchises in history (probably only second to Babylon 5 really).
          I wouldn't say it's the best... but it wasn't bad.

...Star Trek Discovery going on (longer than it ever should've tbh)...
          Oh hey, more we can definitely disgree on. I love Discovery. In fact, I like it so much I took a Netflix account, just so I could watch it legally when season 2 came around.

...not to mention The Expanse and The 100, there are currently a whole number of big Sci-Fi shows and franchises being worked on...
          The Expanse and The 100 are both cancelled. The latter in its last season, I think, or has to start its last season.

...and you can't just toss Stargate in there and hope that it sticks - they have to get the timing right...
          That was a year ago when Stargate Origins ended.
          So, I say they missed that opportunity quite spectacularly.

...and make sure they don't make some of the mistakes these other franchises made (like The 100's mistake of basically killing off any character over the age of 30, or STD's mistake of being too political and having one dimensional characters, or their own previous mistakes with SGU and SGO are too obvious to point out really).
          Again, your opinion.

Also, I always have to laugh when people say shows are too political. What does that even mean?
          I'm not saying that's not a valid opinion but please, explain.

If they do it properly it can work great, and it will work best if the old characters are still there in that universe and show up when it makes sense. So actually not like Richard Dean Anderson did on SGU and SGA - where he basically just showed up for fan service.
          Doing it properly means doing it wrong for others, so it's always going to speak to a general audience.

Stargate fans will always make a comparison to what came before, and new fans won't care about that, but it's the general audience that keeps a show alive in the end.

Comment

The 100 wasn't cancelled. They decided to end it.

I have to agree with FH about Stargate sadly. Most of us want something to continue but with the information we currently have its not realistic. I also hate prequels
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              The 100 wasn't cancelled. They decided to end it.
              Same thing... it's not coming back, except they get to choose the ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Also The expanse was renewed for a 5th season before the 4th was even released on Amazon Prime.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  Also The expanse was renewed for a 5th season before the 4th was even released on Amazon Prime.
                  Then I'm mistaking it with something similar... Sorry, my mistake.

No Amazon Prime here either (no access unless one gets really creative with VPN)...

Comment

Stargate is dead in the water. Even if they did bring it back I don't see how they can continue with the same continuity without telling us offscreen what happened with Atlantis and Destiny. Its been too long now.

Though to be honest I wouldn't mind a show set a decade after public disclosure, a more down to Earth modern Star Trek-ish like thing.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      Got to love Bezzos' pockets full of gold. Praise him.
                      Spoiler:
                      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I think the 100 was a good case of a great show that ran for a proper amount of time, wouldn't say it's the same by a long shot.

Originally posted by SG-17 View Post
                        Stargate is dead in the water. Even if they did bring it back I don't see how they can continue with the same continuity without telling us offscreen what happened with Atlantis and Destiny. Its been too long now.

Though to be honest I wouldn't mind a show set a decade after public disclosure, a more down to Earth modern Star Trek-ish like thing.
                        Agreed, the only way I could see this working is if the show would be set in the future. TBH a creative producer could spin the story so the details are slowly revealed as the episodes go on. Could be that Atlantis got lost on its way back to Pegasus, and they stumble upon clues and try to find what happened to the expedition. I don't know.Honestly in sci-fi there is always a way to fix things, bringing dead people back alive, time travel, you name it.

That being said, Origins kind of killed the last hope for SG and tarnished the franchise's reputation. Kind of like if Lamborghini would release an affordable family vehicle model, it just doesn't work and people would believe the company is ran by idiots.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                          That being said, Origins kind of killed the last hope for SG and tarnished the franchise's reputation. Kind of like if Lamborghini would release an affordable family vehicle model, it just doesn't work and people would believe the company is ran by idiots.
                          Seems to work for Porsch though.

Comment

Seems to work for Porsch though.
                            You can't compare Porsche with Lambo's! That's blasphemy.

Porsche is not on the high-end of the luxury scale, more like a little above halfway, below Mercedes and above the Acura's and most Lexus'.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                              You can't compare Porsche with Lambo's! That's blasphemy.

Porsche is not on the high-end of the luxury scale, more like a little above halfway, below Mercedes and above the Acura's and most Lexus'.

Also, Lamborghini build a full electric car, so they basically skipped the family car stage and went to electric car instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X