Telling your partner you do secret stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telling your partner you do secret stuff

I rewatched Chimera (ep 715)recently for the first time in yonks. One of the things that used to absolutely INFURIATE me about SG-1 at the time popped up - and annoyed me all over again - but I really can't remember if I posted much about this back in the day.

And it is this: Pete seems lovely, until he doesn't and goes all cop-stalker on Sam. He's a cop. I assume he comes into contact (or at least knows about) government agencies and undercover work and the very necessary secretive nature of being undercover or whatever. So when Sam says she can't tell him what she does he completely overreacts and turns in to the kind of person that you should probably run a mile from rather than continue a relationship with.

I think that's not a normal reaction. Sure you can be a bit miffed that someone won't tell you exactly what they do, but if it's secret, it's secret and trying to sneak around finding out what that is, is IMO so underhand it's a deal breaker and not a normal reaction. Because I'm a bit biased here, I asked Mr MC - he said "nope, it's not normal. If they can't tell you, they can't tell you. it's not like cheating or anything".

So, mighty GW members: what do you think? Overreaction or it's how you think someone should react?

[also: *waves to Forum* it's been a while! this isn't actually my original mod-account because I can't get into it. So this is my resurrected MC account - anyone remember me?]

I seem to remember that was more or less the reaction at the time - that Pete was a creepy stalker.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Pete is nuts...….
      …….. but somewhat understandably nuts as a COP.
      Your new GF vanishes -completely- off the grid all the time, with the weak cover story they provide Sam?
      He's less stalker creepy when he knows, but that -puzzle- would turn a cop, a P.I. or hell, even a Corrections officer nuts.
      I get his obsession, but it was portrayed -very- badly.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

She had already told him though, before he started the creepy stuff.

In my day I went home and said to Mr. MC: doing secret stuff. Sometimes I can tell you absolutely nothing, sometimes just a hint. He, like all the families of all my colleagues didn't suddenly go weird.

I always thought the writers could have handled it better.

Comment

Did she?
          I remember Sam telling Pete she works for the government, and she couldn't tell him some stuff.
          I don't remember Pete ever accepting that.

I Agree however, it was badly done.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I thought he was creepy....

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Clanger View Post
              She had already told him though, before he started the creepy stuff.

In my day I went home and said to Mr. MC: doing secret stuff. Sometimes I can tell you absolutely nothing, sometimes just a hint. He, like all the families of all my colleagues didn't suddenly go weird.

I always thought the writers could have handled it better.
              Your reasoning is flawed.

I for one can't believe their is a Mr. MC. That defies reason.

I've always personally Pete gets unfair criticism from the shippers. No one likes when your significant other hides stuff from you
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Clanger View Post
                I rewatched Chimera (ep 715)recently for the first time in yonks. One of the things that used to absolutely INFURIATE me about SG-1 at the time popped up - and annoyed me all over again - but I really can't remember if I posted much about this back in the day.

And it is this: Pete seems lovely, until he doesn't and goes all cop-stalker on Sam. He's a cop. I assume he comes into contact (or at least knows about) government agencies and undercover work and the very necessary secretive nature of being undercover or whatever. So when Sam says she can't tell him what she does he completely overreacts and turns in to the kind of person that you should probably run a mile from rather than continue a relationship with.

I think that's not a normal reaction. Sure you can be a bit miffed that someone won't tell you exactly what they do, but if it's secret, it's secret and trying to sneak around finding out what that is, is IMO so underhand it's a deal breaker and not a normal reaction. Because I'm a bit biased here, I asked Mr MC - he said "nope, it's not normal. If they can't tell you, they can't tell you. it's not like cheating or anything".

So, mighty GW members: what do you think? Overreaction or it's how you think someone should react?

[also: *waves to Forum* it's been a while! this isn't actually my original mod-account because I can't get into it. So this is my resurrected MC account - anyone remember me?]
                There is a big file on this subject in the "Chimera" episode in Season 7 that discusses all of this.

Personally, I think Pete was completely out of line in doing this. But I also think Sam should have dumped him the minute she found out what he was doing. He should not have been brought to the SGC infirmary to treat his injuries. I also think he should have gotten in big trouble with his superiors for doing the stake-out on his own with no authorization from the police department. And he also should have gotten in trouble for getting his friend to do a background check on Sam. Oh well.

Oh, and at the time of this episode, Pete was not Sam's significant other. They had just met and gone on their first date. So they were only potential significant others to each other.

And another thing, since Pete was a cop, he should realize there are times when he can't tell anyone what he does in his work either.

Also, how did he know that SG1 was going to be doing their own stake-out and where it would be?

And, while I am a Sam and Jack fan, I would still be offended by what Peter did no matter who he did it to.
                Last edited by hedwig; 24 August 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  Oh, and at the time of this episode, Pete was not Sam's significant other. They had just met and gone on their first date. So they were only potential significant others to each other.
                  Not quite. He'd been there a bit ("humming!"), that scene in the restaurant was a bit of playful role-play.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Your reasoning is flawed.

I for one can't believe their is a Mr. MC. That defies reason.

I've always personally Pete gets unfair criticism from the shippers. No one likes when your significant other hides stuff from you
                    oh dear.

it's a shame, it used to be good here.

Comment

Working...
                    X