If in an alternate universe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If in an alternate universe...

...where SGA and SGU didn't get cancelled in 2009 and 2011 respectively and had been able to run their full course, then where do you think Stargate would be now?

How much longer do you think it would have survived into this decade? How well do you think it would have dealt with the changing TV industry? How many more series of Atlantis and Universe do you think we would have got? How many more movies do you think we would have got of SG1, SGA, and possibly SGU, and do you think Stargate would have ever made it to the big screen?

Provided that MGM was in a good financial state and would have enough financial resources to support the production of the shows with, I think with a good planning ahead Stargate would have lasted at least for 1 more spin-off after SGU. Of course, ratings would play an important role as well, but I think with the right direction and some things done right, everything could work out pretty nicely for SG.

SG-1 would probably get an 11th season where most of the long-runnung storylines would be brought full-circle - provided that the needed actors/actresses besides the main cast would be available to do their parts. Then, whatever would stay open-ended, would eventually be ended in a direct-to-DVD movie series as the producers would think ahead of time, go completely digital and release the full seasons of the show for download in exchange of a price in a dedicated online store. The full seasons packs would also include behind the scenes stuff and the show itself would be available in the highest video quality possible. The same content would be available for rent as well at a smaller price for those that would not be able to afford it in a lower video quality. This would also get both MGM and Syfy to work together and actually release more SG-related merchandise and other material as well such as video games, online books, online novels and online audio novels narrated by the original cast members which would be based on each show and done by its own cast member group. There would also be a ton of other merchandise that would turn out to be very profitable for the franchise, thus making it maintianable trough great audience/fan support.

SGA would probably last 6-7 seasons, however, it would still run back-to-back with SG-1 for its first 4 seasons. SG-1 movies would be done during SGA's final 3 seasons so by the end of SGA, SG-1 would be 100 % concluded.

SGU would have lasted as long as it was intended by the producers/writers - and SGA movies would be made during its production, but it still wouldn't have aired alongside SGA. By SGU's 4th season, SGA would be concluded as well with the main and recurring characters from both shows still showing up in SGU if and whenever the episode (arc) plot would require it. Come the 100th episode of SGU, we would probably get another direct-to-DVD movie series to properly end the 3rd spin-off, sending it off. The final SGU movie would be a set up for a 4th show which would be a special request by both MGM and Syfy, which would probably last for as long as the ratings would be good.

After that, the producers/writers would fight MGM to allow the franchise to continue in a movie series format that would utilize cast members from all 4 shows. So after 11 seasons of SG-1, 7 seasons of SGA, 5 seasons of SGU and thanks to some wired stroke of luck, some 8 seasons of the 4th show and after more than a dozen direct-to-DVD movies for the first three shows, MGM would settle for the movie series format which would eventually grow into a very successful series of feature movies based on the TV show as long as there would be interest by the auidence for it. Then MGM would give the green light to re-boot SG with a very successful series of cinema movies, attracting newer audiences while still kepping the older auidences interested thanks to regular reunion shows on TV.

So long-story short, I think 2024-2025 the 4th show would end, the movie series based on the TV shows would have lasted for a couple of years (2 movies per year), then the cinema part of the franchise would have taken over by 2030 and last at least a decade, when MGM would have enough of Stargate and would want to move on to do other things.

If the above sounds stupid to you, just ignore my post. It's late here and I'm probably sounding very stupid anyway since I'm bored at the time of writing this post.

Comment

Nice!

The well-made, critically and fan favorite SG game, the Stargate : Worlds could have brought a new life to the franchise. Maybe even the franchise could have survived on digital platform after the live action tv shows were cancelled then the new SG:W expansions would prove it to the MGM to make a new spinoff.

Or similar scenario could be imagined with a successfull new Stargate tv movie on Netflix / in the cinema which could lead to new spinoffs like the StarTrek.

The DVD movies could have been continued yearly...

Never mind, this thread just made me sad again. Wasted potential of this scifi name. You know there are writers who could make contract for 100 million dollars to develop new shows for different companies. Imagine what if Brad Wright could be really called back....
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Hey, if making and keeping SG on would be up to me and provided that I would have the financial resources and people available to make it happen, I would have made 12 seasons of SG-1 with just Goa'ulds and later, the Replicators being the bad guys, SGA would have the Wraith and the Ori as the two enemy groups in a 10-season long storyline and SGU would go for 8 full seasons just because I'd feel like it. That plus three-four direct-do-DVD movies for each spin-off with the digital and online support I mentioned above in my post. When SG-1 would complete its TV run, it would get movies, same with the other two. Not sure if I'd be in for another spin-off - I would probably attempt to go cinema right away or just go to do other things.

But one can only imagine...
        Last edited by Mnikolic; 01 August 2019, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I would be hired as showrunner / story consultant / creative producer in an alternate universe...
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I would be one of the main writers who would be always careful about each episode not going overbudget in production unless really necessary for plot/story puproses. Not sure how would that affect the franchise, but I think it would be beneficial in the long run.

Comment

Working...
            X