SDCC 2019: Farscape revival being discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDCC 2019: Farscape revival being discussed

Fans may soon be able to return to the world of Farscape. Series creator Rockne S. O’Bannon and The Jim Henson Company’s Brian Henson say they’re working on a revival of the sci-fi series. The two were on hand for Farscape’s 20th-anniversary panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2019. They say that they’ve never stopped trying to bring Farscape back and teased that something may be on the way soon.

“For a number of years we wanted to continue Farscape in movies,” Henson said. He went on to say that the story they want to tell won’t fit into a single two-hour block, so they’ve gone back to looking at television. O’Bannon assured fans, “We’re not done with Farscape.”

Farscape was an Australian-American sci-fi series produced for the Nine Network. O'Bannon created the series and The Jim Henson Company and Hallmark Entertainment produced. The Jim Henson Company focused on the show’s extensive prosthetics and makeup. The Creature Shop even created two animatronic puppets as series regulars, Rygel and Pilot.

Farscape was planned to run for five seasons but was canceled after its fourth. The season ended with a cliffhanger suggesting two of the core characters had been killed. Henson later secured the rights to the series. In 2004, he directed a three-hour miniseries, Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars. The series resolved the cliffhanger and addressed some other lingering plot threads.

Farscape starred Ben Browder as John Crichton, an American astronaut. Crichton travels through a wormhole and emerges in unfamiliar space. He winds up aboard a living ship named Moya. The ship is crewed by individuals on the run from a corrupt, authoritarian military group called the Peacekeepers. On the same day that Crichton boards the ship, the crew also picks up a stranded Peacekeeper named Aeryn Sun. The rest of the crew includes a hot-headed warrior named Ka D’Argo, an ex-priestess of a plant-people named Pau Zotoh Zhaan, the deposed emperor Donimar Rygel XVI, the roguish Chiana, Moya’s Pilot, and the unstable Stark. The series follows the motley crew as Crichton searches for a wormhole back to Earth while evading Peacekeepers. Throughout their journeys, the crew grows closer to one another, Crichton and Aeryn in particular.

At one point, plans for Farscape webisodes were announced. They never materialized, with O’Bannon and Henson citing issues with funding as the reason for the delays.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

It would be great if they could make a movie or a pilot for a FarScape spinoff.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Posting most my post from the Appreciation thread here since it's fit's here too.

Video clips from the 20th Anniversary Farscape Panel at SDCC:

The reddit post about about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/farscape/co...s_of_the_2019/

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I'll believe it when I see it.
          Pretty much. But, just imagine...

Originally posted by planet_tv View Post
          Posting most my post from the Appreciation thread here since it's fit's here too.

Video clips from the 20th Anniversary Farscape Panel at SDCC:

The reddit post about about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/farscape/co...s_of_the_2019/
          Ah, apparently I need to spread around my green before giving you any more!
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh, I would love to see more Farscape.

I came into it way after it was cancelled but OMGoddess, I loved it from the start.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I love Farscape, it's easily one of my all time favorite shows ever. But I'm not sure it's wise to revisit something that had a near perfect ending, in my opinion at least.
              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                I love Farscape, it's easily one of my all time favorite shows ever. But I'm not sure it's wise to revisit something that had a near perfect ending, in my opinion at least.
                It did have that... It also had the best ever cliffhanger. I was literally laughing out loud when that happened. Joss Whedon has nothing on cliffhangers -- Farscape wins.

Although, there's a Farscape comic (which I have) which continues from where Peacekeeper Wars leaves of.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Although, there's a Farscape comic (which I have) which continues from where Peacekeeper Wars leaves of.
                  44 issues across 5 different titles! I don't even tend to be into comic continuations, but I quite liked the Farscape one(s).

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    44 issues across 5 different titles! I don't even tend to be into comic continuations, but I quite liked the Farscape one(s).
                    Oh... looks like I'm missing 43 issues.

Comment

Link to Farscape wiki about them: https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/Far...c_Book_Series)

Any links below are to amazon.com.

They also came out as graphic novels except for this https://www.amazon.com/Farscape-Vol-.../dp/1608862682 but one of the comments said this was included in a revised edition of Part 7.

There is also this but I don't know what comics are included: https://www.amazon.com/Farscape-Omni...2MSKMZ67EHTMX4
                      There was a volume 2 but it looks like it was never released.

There were also 3 novels that came out during the series run and from looking at the reviews the only good one seems to be House of Cards written by Keith R. A. DeCandido aka krad on Gateworld. I have House of Cards but haven gotten around to reading it.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

There are 3 miniseries that are set during the show's timeframe, and then post-PKW there are several different titles, first a few miniseries that run uninterrupted, and then the final run which was the Farscape title and the Scorpius title running at the same time and crossing over with each other.

It's been a long time since I re-watched/re-read so don't ask me to justify the order here, but I was pretty attentive last time I read and came up with this.

Comment

I will always have hope for more Farscape. It continues to be one of the finest shows I have ever seen.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                          X