New show "Another Life" July 25th on Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New show "Another Life" July 25th on Netflix

So today Katee Sackhoff (aka Starbucks BSG) tweeted about this new sci-fi show, Another Life, beginning at the end of the month.

Never heard about this until today, I'll do some research and see what it's about. Always a little on the edge with Netflix and their reputation of killing shows after 2-3 seasons.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

this, was pretty bad

where to begin?

it as so many lifts and borrowed bits from almost every other sci fi show there is.

the engine room looks like something from a 19th century steam shop

the chief engineer seems to not know how human reproduction works

the show reminds me of the low budget stuff syfy used to put on to fill gaps in between seasons of their bigger shows

Comment

I watched this, of course, because of Katee Sackhoff. She looks amazing, she's definitely been hitting the gym a lot.

I'm 8 episodes in (out of 10). Is it great sci-fi? Not sure, but I think it's at least pretty good sci-fi, especially considering it's on a streaming network with probably not a huge budget. It has some interesting ideas and entertaining crew dynamics.

Comment

I binged through it yesterday.

The first four episodes were atrocious, just an absolutely awful mishmash of sci-fi cliches, blended together in the most horribly boring and irritating way they could possibly have imagined, magnified by some really terrible acting.

And then at episode 5, it took a sharp turn and actually became watchable. I actually found myself enjoying it, and by the time the season ended, honestly hoping for a season 2.

Really weirdly unbalanced show.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I binged through it yesterday.

The first four episodes were atrocious, just an absolutely awful mishmash of sci-fi cliches, blended together in the most horribly boring and irritating way they could possibly have imagined, magnified by some really terrible acting.

And then at episode 5, it took a sharp turn and actually became watchable. I actually found myself enjoying it, and by the time the season ended, honestly hoping for a season 2.

Really weirdly unbalanced show.
            netflix has been pretty liberal with doing multiple season deals on their 'originals'. i dont know if they have ever cancelled a previously approved second season due to ratings/reviews though, so you will probably get the s2

----------------
            and why are aliens always naked in bad sci fi? indicator of the budget? that bat like alien in the cave. how is it that civilization had AI and built cities yet went around undressed?

maybe i missed it with a heavy finger on the FF button, but probably not

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
              and why are aliens always naked in bad sci fi?
              Grumpy Thor is not amused

Thor1.jpg
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wanted to wait until some of you commented and I only looked at the general score on the web, which was a bad 4.3/10.

Couple things were odd. Wasn't sure exactly what lvl of tech these guys had, at first the interior looked like a modern version of the ISS and but then FTL and other crazy advanced ship systems.

On the first episode I prayed that this wasn't going to be another Nightflyer, the most horrendous series I've watched in the past decade. The AI, mature and horror-ish series, looked very similar. Chaka was scared.

The intro was a copy paste of SGU's, made me smile and I actually appreciated this insignificant detail.

My issue with Kathee is just like her recent space movie I have a hard time watching her as lead commander of a mission. IDK it just seems like she doesn't fit this particular role, maybe she's stuck in an eternal Starbucks for me.

I don't mind seeing "revisited concepts" because that's how creativity works, just like music, if done right. Overall I would say I enjoyed it, it's a fresh and mature show, and even though we've all seen those concepts before (Annihilation vibe for the artifact or The Arrival) I think it was chaotic but well done nonetheless.

I'm not seeing how this show can survive the critics, the intense swearing and most of all Netflix waiting around the corner with a 2 handed battle axe. Not to mention dark sci fi shows are rarely a hit with the mainstream. I give it 2 seasons on the most hopeful scenario, but I would totally watch it. Others? IDK.
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
                  netflix has been pretty liberal with doing multiple season deals on their 'originals'. i dont know if they have ever cancelled a previously approved second season due to ratings/reviews though, so you will probably get the s2
                  You're right. Reviews and ratings are irrelevant for Netflix business model but still they could decide to cancel, who knows. Netflix profits from new subscriptions. People buy a few months to watch a new show then leave.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Apart from a handful of shows, Netflix is terrible about cancelling their shows after one or two seasons. All they're interested in is the buzz to pull in new subscribers, and once they're aboard, forget it.

And good luck if you're a woman, POC, or non-hetero.

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/dive...hows-canceled/

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      You're right. Reviews and ratings are irrelevant for Netflix business model but still they could decide to cancel, who knows. Netflix profits from new subscriptions. People buy a few months to watch a new show then leave.
                      they will probably go through with he season 2- who knows, it could be a lot better then s1. that has been true, imo, with other nf originals, like TRAVELERS

Comment

any threads for NF's german made DARK here? i did a search, but not seeing anything

of course, that means nothing...

Comment

I enjoyed season 1, and am hoping for season 2.

The alien look clothed to me, https://nypdecider.files.wordpress.c...rip=all&w=1236

I wonder what the Achaia are planning. It doesn't appear to be the complete destruction of a species, afterall there were some Zakir present on their home planet until Salvar destroyed the artifact.

I know this is unlikely but it would be great, if we get a season 2, they show what happened on Zakirian, via the knowledge they gain from their AI, or the whole of the AI manage to escape Zakarian before it was destroyed aboard the Salvar.

even through the above idea would be atrociously expensive I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            I enjoyed season 1, and am hoping for season 2.

The alien look clothed to me, https://nypdecider.files.wordpress.c...rip=all&w=1236

I wonder what the Achaia are planning. It doesn't appear to be the complete destruction of a species, afterall there were some Zakir present on their home planet until Salvar destroyed the artifact.

I know this is unlikely but it would be great, if we get a season 2, they show what happened on Zakirian, via the knowledge they gain from their AI, or the whole of the AI manage to escape Zakarian before it was destroyed aboard the Salvar.

even through the above idea would be atrociously expensive I'm sure.
                            I honestly have no clue where the naked alien comment came from, unless we both missed something?

Achaia = Goa'uld to me, their tech and motives look similar complete with the bug-in-the-head part. I don't think your idea would be atrociously expensive and I think it's worth exploring.

As for the weird Alien you linked a pic of, anybody else got a Labyrinth of Pan vibe from that scene? I also hope we get a S02 but I'm not hopeful for a long-lasting series because of Netflix.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                              I honestly have no clue where the naked alien comment came from, unless we both missed something?
                              The Zakirian alien in the cave wasn't wearing anything, I don't think. Although it didn't really register for me, it's a CGI alien--why would it conform to our conceptions of modesty?

Comment

Working...
                              X