Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticking close to the original? Yes, no, maybe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking close to the original? Yes, no, maybe...

So I know some people love fanfic that is as close as possible to the original show, book, movie etc. that it is about while others love to have a more open take on the matter, using lore and characters but change things here and there or add own characters that take the lead maybe even.

Personally I like both though I prefer the ones that change things here and there a bit more. For once, because I like to see the ideas that people come up with that wouldn't be possible in the original (like certain cross-overs) and also, because I see fan fiction as a way for fans to "fix" things they were not happy with in the original, like the death of a fave character

What is your take on that when reading or writing fan fiction, as close to the original or more open to changes?

I too echo your preferences for the type of fanfic I like to read. Plus, we all have our shipping preferences an I like to see that ship showcased.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Speaking on SG1 I would welcome fan fiction being as a sequal.
      Carrying on from the original stories with the Goul'd, forget the Ori.
      Jack O'neil could be in charge of the SGC for continuity, & hand over to a new person anytime from the second episode. We have a new SG1 team. Teal'c has gone back to the Jaffa, Carter has gone to Atlantis, Daniel has retired, writting his memoirs. So this new team goes to new planets, or visits some planets the original team went to, see what has changed, find new enemies.
      That sort of thing. Maybe even meet the Furlings. Work out the connection of the Bermuda Triangle to the System lords.
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

I don't mind one way or another... I don't care if it's close enough to the shows or not. If the story is good enough, I'm okay with going off the beaten track.

Besides my favorite pairing is f/f and that never happened so I can't stay in line with what SGA did anyway.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

In one of my stories I changed Telya's baby to a girl and she was both Teyla and Johns baby, in another story I aded Falcon Horus here AKA FunlovingiinsaneLemming here into a story... more of a poem that made zero sense. In another story I mixed Terminator with Stargate Atlantis and somehow I wanna back at it....

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
            ...in another story I aded Falcon Horus here AKA FunlovingiinsaneLemming here into a story...
            Chaos ensued... Atlantis never recovered after that.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
              I too echo your preferences for the type of fanfic I like to read. Plus, we all have our shipping preferences an I like to see that ship showcased.
              Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              I don't mind one way or another... I don't care if it's close enough to the shows or not. If the story is good enough, I'm okay with going off the beaten track.

Besides my favorite pairing is f/f and that never happened so I can't stay in line with what SGA did anyway.
              Yes, relationships of course are another good reason indeed to not stay all in line with the original. Especially if one has a more specific and maybe not so widely accepted taste as Falcon

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Chaos ensued... Atlantis never recovered after that.
                Rodney is still in therapy too

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Rodney is still in therapy too

I wonder if some people write fics where he is not easily shocked by things or reacting so badly to lemons...that would also be not so close to the show

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post

I wonder if some people write fics where he is not easily shocked by things or reacting so badly to lemons...that would also be not so close to the show
                    I also wrote a fanfic drabble wherein Rodney made a lightsaber.... and it worked

Comment

I also wrote a fanfic drabble wherein Rodney made a lightsaber.... and it worked
                      Stargate and Star Wars is a nice combination, did he use the lightsaber too or give it to someone who probably is better suited to use it?

Comment

Working...
                      X