Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else afraid of being seen as a geek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop Culture rules the world now, the stuff I got made fun of for loving in high school is the same stuff everyone loves now. I think being a geek is mostly normal in today's world.

Comment

Im afraid of not being seen as a geek
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

I have never really liked the Big Bang Theory, but that tv show has increased the reputation of "geeks".

I don't know. I loved to go to the school and guess what even to attend to my classes. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't like loud music (especially with light show even if I am not epileptic). I was always overweight and I am a bit too clumsy for complicated tasks and I have got vertigo after quick head movements, so I was not really good at sports. These habits and skills already disqualified me from the "cool guys" group, but only a few people have asked me why. I don't want to pretend something what I don't like, so the social pressure hasn't really worked on me. Later I have considered myself as a "rebel" against the trends. I have never been drunk in my life as I believe it is pathetic to humiliate yourself in public to be seen as drunk. And I have promised to myself, I will never ever be seen in such condition. I have never smoked as I was a passive smoker next to my father while I had to watch how his physical and mental health was completly ruined by smoking. I was humiliated so many ways because of my stuttering that I have escaped into my fantasy and scifi worlds, so that is the short story how I have become a "geek".
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by who knows View Post
          i can leave it to you in my will if you want

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
            The first 'sifi' I can remember watching is Flash Gordon at the Saturday matinees.
            Larry Buster Crabbe if memory serves.
            I will hit 74 in December.
            After some thought and consideration, I bow to your superior age, hand you the crown and sword and pledge my allegiance. Sorry for the delay. It was caused by some unforeseen circumstance that got in my way.

Comment

Couldn't remember where you put your glasses?

*runs*

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sometimes it takes time to move with that walker and bionic hip

*doesn't run*

I meant what I said
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Sometimes it takes time to move with that walker and bionic hip

*doesn't run*

I meant what I said
                  Well, Mr. Smarty, I don't yet have a walker, but I do have hip problems ... just not a bionic hip. If I did have one of those, would that make me a human/replicator hybrid? I do, however, have pins in my neck, holding it together.

Comment

Pff... I'm half your age... give or take...and if I don't pay attention to how I sit, I end up flat on my face getting up because my joints fall apart at every ******* turn...

Also... I would like to proudly reaffirm my geekiness by saying I am TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH MY CRYTEX REPLICA from The Da Vinci Code. ...and my colleagues at work are jealous.
                    Yes, the film is 13 years old but I only just now bought a replica of the cryptex (and the book but I already read it before the film, just borrowed it then).
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I've never met a person in the flesh who liked Stargate, so i stopped caring about that a long long time ago. Besides, everyone has that show they like but everyone else finds ****ty (or alternatively, have no original taste). It's really not that unique, we just think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        I've never met a person in the flesh who liked Stargate...
                        I'm hard to find anyone who actually knows stargate.

Comment

I've met quite a few people who know Stargate and have seen it. And a lot of them say they "like" it, but whenever I go deeper and start talking about it, they back away. Some of them started, well, "bullying" me about me being "obsessed" and when I complained to my mentor about that they all said I never shut up about it. Not like they ever shut up about World of Warcraft, or whatever the trend was at that time...

And people wonder why I'm shy, socially awkward, and have a short temper.

Comment

Sounds familiar too.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                              I've met quite a few people who know Stargate and have seen it. And a lot of them say they "like" it, but whenever I go deeper and start talking about it, they back away. Some of them started, well, "bullying" me about me being "obsessed" and when I complained to my mentor about that they all said I never shut up about it. Not like they ever shut up about World of Warcraft, or whatever the trend was at that time...

And people wonder why I'm shy, socially awkward, and have a short temper.
                              Kindly point me towards those heretics and I will raise the middle finger up their collectives bums.

Honestly though you just met the wrong people. I'm the living proof being a geek and a bum is possible simultaneously, and so are all my friends to different degrees. People that think it's cool to fake not knowing about something, in this case SG, are just hypocrite douche-bags. Literally anybody that does that are fakes, pretentious baloneys.

If they don't respect you, they don't deserve your respect simple as bacon. Next time perhaps you could try establishing dominance by marking your territory in front of them, the smell isn't nice but that usually does it for me.
                              Spoiler:
                              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                                Kindly point me towards those heretics and I will raise the middle finger up their collectives bums.

Honestly though you just met the wrong people. I'm the living proof being a geek and a bum is possible simultaneously, and so are all my friends to different degrees. People that think it's cool to fake not knowing about something, in this case SG, are just hypocrite douche-bags. Literally anybody that does that are fakes, pretentious baloneys.

If they don't respect you, they don't deserve your respect simple as bacon. Next time perhaps you could try establishing dominance by marking your territory in front of them, the smell isn't nice but that usually does it for me.
                                Oh they weren't friends. They were classmates, we talked, etc. and this just happened over time. The thing is, there really was no one who shared my interests or who otherwise liked me enough to hang out with me. So I had to "improvise" and later just hang out "by myself". It was sad. Everyone talking with each other during breaks, and me just sitting by myself and at one time watching Independence Day on a cheap small MP4 player. Sad.

It got better later on, also after I managed to "contain" myself a little better and open up a bit more. I mean, trust me, even I think at times I'm too obsessed with certain things and have to dial it down. I do now have a few people I can call friends, some of whom also love Stargate. Maybe not as much as I do, but enough that we can frequently talk about and discuss it. One of them even went with me to Dutch Comic Con to meet RDA.

Comment

Working...
                                X