Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else afraid of being seen as a geek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I score with colleague's kids in 7 easy steps:

1) have Avengers themed tissue box in place behind you on your supply cabinet
    2) have daughter of colleague come by after school to go home with her mom
    3) bring that daughter to the office floor because mom has not finished packing yet
    4) daughter spots Captain America on tissue box and points it out to mom
    5) mom says: "Yes, you're right and she knows the Avengers too."
    6) confirm that knowledge by nodding
    7) be held in high esteem by another 8-year old

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

A little story. I have gone to a stand-up comedy night with my collegues a few years ago. The speaker had a session when he joked about such things as death and how different audience members will die. He pointed to different people and he tried to say something funny. Then he looked at me unexpectedly and he said " you will die at age of 45 playing World of WarCraft alone in your apartment". I have never been so humiliated in front of hundreds of people because of my body size. Funny enough I have played WarCraft3, but I have never played WoW. So the archetype of a gamer can be bullied easily in public without consequences. I should have stood up and gone home. So every time somebody mentions the "geek" word this embrassing memory also connected to the word.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

@ Platschu

That's not cool!
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
        X