Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else afraid of being seen as a geek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm perfectly happy being considered a geek it is just interesting how 'geek' culture is now considered popular by everybody video games (Call of Duty), comics (via Marvel Movies), sci-fi movies/tv (StarWars etc.) I mention Stargate to coworkers and then give me weird looks because they never watched it or have never heard of it which is very sad it is a great show. Then I get the same people that think SG1/SGA is dumb but either loved SGU or are big StarTrek fans. I've never been a fan of Star Trek really I kind of dislike it TBH, but to each their own.

Comment

Umm.
      Geekdom is not "social arkwardness"
      That's a whole different issue.
      "Geekdom" can HELP with that, as a coping mechanism, but they are no where near the same thing.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Oh the joy of being a geek! When I first got into Sci Fi as a baby of 7 years old in 1965....who knew then there was a term for what I was! lol!

I lapped up Sci Fi, reading Azimov, the joy of Douglas Adams...loving everything Sci Fi....telling others this is what I like....blank looks! I wasn't afraid, I even told people I liked ABBA when I was at uni, they were not cool then! Now...who would have guessed..!!

I found a home, others liked Stargate.......the show I got hooked on big time after Star Trek TOS, never thinking another TV show would grab my attention like that did.

Letting the nerd out meant I met others who felt the same, loved a show I did, Stargate was the freedom to share being a nerd for the first time with a whole nerd gathering I discovered out there....thank you internet...thank you Gateworld!....and life moving in unexpected directions so I end up in Vancouver and able to go to conventions as I couldn't afford them when I lived in the UK.

Now or any time is not the time to be afraid of being seen as a geek, if you are a geek at heart, that is the only true way to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Umm.
          Geekdom is not "social arkwardness"
          That's a whole different issue.
          "Geekdom" can HELP with that, as a coping mechanism, but they are no where near the same thing.
          True story:

On a whim I decide to go along with friends to a Firefly convention (organized by Starfury) in the UK. I have a ticketnumber why out in the hundreds, they don't, so for autographs and photoshoots I'm on my own as they were called by number. I'm all on my lonesome, trying to not be noticed by anyone cause I don't do well with social interactions (autist speaking) and there's a couple of people in front of me who start up this conversation about Firefly (obviously) at first but then it moves to other topics, and before I know it, I'm hanging with them instead of my friends (while we're split up for auto's and shoots anyway) and have the best weekend I could ever had hoped for.

Bounderies fall away when you're among geeks. The walls are way less high and talking goes way easier. But that's my experience of course.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            True story:

On a whim I decide to go along with friends to a Firefly convention (organized by Starfury) in the UK. I have a ticketnumber why out in the hundreds, they don't, so for autographs and photoshoots I'm on my own as they were called by number. I'm all on my lonesome, trying to not be noticed by anyone cause I don't do well with social interactions (autist speaking) and there's a couple of people in front of me who start up this conversation about Firefly (obviously) at first but then it moves to other topics, and before I know it, I'm hanging with them instead of my friends (while we're split up for auto's and shoots anyway) and have the best weekend I could ever had hoped for.

Bounderies fall away when you're among geeks. The walls are way less high and talking goes way easier. But that's my experience of course.
            There are times when I understand SR's pursuit of you FH, this is one of them.
            You are worth knowing.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              There are times when I understand SR's pursuit of you FH, this is one of them.
              You are worth knowing.
              Thanks.

Comment

Jelgate get over here, we have work to do and I ain't doing it by myself while you hide in the shed, like last time.

*Picks up shovel and start digging a grave for GF besides Frank's*
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Sorry, I'm busy doing Jelgate things
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I've been a geek my whole life and am proud of it. My Star Trek geek self married a Star Wars geek and guess what? No fighting which is better. Turned the two kids into geeks also. I know we are horrible parents.
                    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                      Jelgate get over here, we have work to do and I ain't doing it by myself while you hide in the shed, like last time.

*Picks up shovel and start digging a grave for GF besides Frank's*
                      It's MY bloody shed!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                        I've been a geek my whole life and am proud of it. My Star Trek geek self married a Star Wars geek and guess what? No fighting which is better. Turned the two kids into geeks also. I know we are horrible parents.
                        I believe they call it "parenting done right" or some such...

I have no kids but I take every opportunity to geekify the kids of friends and soon-ish I have a wee lad in my family that I have all sorts of geeky plans for. My cousin's probably going to have to lay down some rules soon enough.

Comment

Being a geek is in the eye of the beholder
                          When you have a group who are into Stargate or Star Wars or Star Trek, & another group who do not like/understand Stargate or Star Wars or Star Trek, which group are the geeks?

The truth is out there (in the stars)
                          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                            Being a geek is in the eye of the beholder
                            When you have a group who are into Stargate or Star Wars or Star Trek, & another group who do not like/understand Stargate or Star Wars or Star Trek, which group are the geeks?

The truth is out there (in the stars)
                            All of them are...

Comment

What could be an interesting talk whether those people who like science fiction do they understand science at all? I mean it is very easy to say "I am a geek", but it won't make you more intelligent or more creative or more special than any other fan group who are into fantasy, medical drama or any other tv genre. Although the people would expect such things from geeks while sometimes it feels like roleplaying. I know that most of the scifi is based on techno blablabla, so I can't expect that scifi fans would be more trained in this area, just I don't want to force false misconceptions about us either. I like the creativity, the imagination side of being seen as a geek as sometimes the dreamers could imagine such technologies, such ideas what others wouldn't be able to find out.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf the Artist View Post
                                I am sometimes afraid of being seen as a geek because I like StarGate and other sci-fi shows? I have overheard some people acting like Stargate is stupid or something negative like that. I no longer know those people, but is anyone else afraid of what other people think?
                                I am trying to overcome what others think of me and trying to be myself but it is hard for me.
                                I used to be afraid to identify as a geek, but now? I embrace it. I have a Star Trek tattoo and have gladly worn Star Wars, Legend of Zelda, Star Trek and Doctor Who t-shirts in public. If anyone is stupid enough to have an issue with that, they're not worth my time.
                                To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
                                http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
                                http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X