Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else afraid of being seen as a geek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else afraid of being seen as a geek?

I am sometimes afraid of being seen as a geek because I like StarGate and other sci-fi shows? I have overheard some people acting like Stargate is stupid or something negative like that. I no longer know those people, but is anyone else afraid of what other people think?
    I am trying to overcome what others think of me and trying to be myself but it is hard for me.
    Hello
    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Embrace it, love it. There's really only three possible outcomes to someone thinking you're a geek:

1) They think you're silly and wasting your time, and you in turn have found someone that you don't need to associate yourself with. If they're that judgemental and condescending toward you as a person for liking what you like, their opinion is garbage and they aren't worth a second of your time.

2) They're indifferent, and you find other common or differing factors that define your relationship with them.

3) (And this one happens a lot more than you'd expect) it turns out they are a closet geek too, and you've found yourself someone awesome to be friends with.

Nothing to fear, all three are terrific options. As the saying goes: let your freak flag fly, baby!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Guessing you're still pretty young. Trust me, being a geek is cool.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Most sci-fi fans or gamers are considered geeks, but that doesn't make you a nerd. A nerd is not someone that's fun to hang out with.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

All of us on here like Stargate, so all of us on here are geeks, so you are in good company.

It is quite likely they (whoever THEY are) like things that cause you to label them geeks.

When I come across people like THEM, I always find it is a case of mind over matter.

I do not mind,
          And they do not matter
          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            Most sci-fi fans or gamers are considered geeks, but that doesn't make you a nerd. A nerd is not someone that's fun to hang out with.
            I use the words interchangeably. *shrug*
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Meh to me a nerd is like say you're in a party or something, at a bar for or at a live show, and the guy besides you just can't shut his yap about how Elrond should've been the one holding on to the One ring.
              Spoiler:
              I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Every one of my colleagues knows I'm a geek who loves Star Wars and scifi shows, boardgames, MINIONS (it's even in my job title --> One-In-A-Minion Document Designer), ... and will show me things they think I'll find interesting.

They find it funny and amazing, and are always asking me when an event has come and gone like a convention or a new Star Wars film being released whether I've seen in or been there. Mind you, the replica prop group I belong to has exclusive access to the official Star Wars celebrations so we build stuff and get the plans directly from Disney/Lucasfilm.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

You'd actually be surprised how many people have a little geek inside them. Take my mma gym alone. The least geekiest place you would expect. But you have a guy who held #1 score in the country in one of those EA sports games. Another one is always on the hunt collecting pokemon cards. Back in college I knew a football player who did LARP. Those people around you, they're geeks of something.

sigpic
                  Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I believe it is not a shame to be a geek. The essence of it is still to step-up out of our confort zone, to be able to see the world differently, to accept other cultures (alien or human), to understand other opinions, traditions or religions, to be a better person for ourselves and for our community. So if you think like that then all adventurer, traveller, artist were "geeks" as they believed in the change that their acts will move humanity forward. Maybe some of them reached it with exploration, others with imagination, scientist with technological upgrades and new ideas and invention. But the core of geekness is stilll giving out more from ourselves after we understood ourselves.
                    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by VrotoTurtle View Post
                      I am sometimes afraid of being seen as a geek because I like StarGate and other sci-fi shows? I have overheard some people acting like Stargate is stupid or something negative like that. I no longer know those people, but is anyone else afraid of what other people think?
                      I am trying to overcome what others think of me and trying to be myself but it is hard for me.
                      I am 72 and am not afraid of what anyone thinks of my being a fan of Stargate. In fact, I have a t-shirt with the gate on it and inside the circle, it says "No Place Like Home", which I wear a lot. It has started several conversations over the time I have had it - all positive. I also have a license plate on my car that says "Got SG1". I have had a few people comment (positively) on that, too. Don't let what other people think; just be yourself. Other folks likely have interests they don't discuss with anyone for fear they will be ridiculed. Don't let that stop you.
                      Last edited by hedwig; 07 July 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        I am 72...
                        ARE YOU FOR REAL?!?

You're 3 decades (+4 years) older than me... I thought you were of similar age.

In which case ... congratulations, you're the oldest geek I know.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          ARE YOU FOR REAL?!?

You're 3 decades (+4 years) older than me... I thought you were of similar age.

In which case ... congratulations, you're the oldest geek I know.
                          Yep. I'm 72. and have been pretty nerdy for most of my life, and I don't care if others find that strange. I know a lot of others like me who feel the same way.

Comment

She was my age when the original Star Trek came out
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              ARE YOU FOR REAL?!?
                              This was my reaction too, but I chose not to voice it

Comment

Working...
                              X