Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Peter Allan Fields

https://ca.startrek.com/news/peter-allan-fields-tng-ds9

DS9 producer Ira Steven Behr shared yesterday that his friend, Trek writer & producer Peter Allan Fields, has passed away.

Fields served as producer on the first two seasons of DS9, as well as writing 13 episodes of TNG and DS9, including:
    - TNG: Half a Life
    - TNG: Cost of Living
    - TNG: The Inner Light
    - DS9: Dax
    - DS9: Progress
    - DS9: Duet
    - DS9: The Circle
    - DS9: Necessary Evil
    - DS9: Blood Oath
    - DS9: Crossover
    - DS9: For the Uniform
    - DS9: In the Pale Moonlight
    - DS9: The Dogs of War
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 20 June 2019, 03:05 AM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Fields really knew how to do complex story lines. Some of the best of DS9 is in that list. And of course Inner Light which is also one of the best in TNG.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Some stories about Fields from Trek colleague Robert Hewitt Wolfe (source, any spelling errors are his as I'm just copy/pasting) :

Peter Allan Fields was a storyteller and a great one. So what is true about him and what is a story? I certainly don’t know.

So here are my favorite stories about Pete. 2

Pete lied about his age and joined the Marines at 16 to fight in the Korean War. He fought at Inchon. He was captured and spent several months as a POW. 3

While he was a POW they fed him rotten fish and maggot filled rice. He hated sushi. Wouldn’t touch it. 4

He was released when his captors duscovered how young he was. He was sent home. Turned 18. Was drafted into the army and sent back to Korea. He fought at the Chosen Reservoir. But maybe that’s where he was captured? I don’t know. 6

When he got back home, Pete want to @USC on the GI Bill. He got a law degree. He was a lawyer for strip clubs and card rooms. 7

He write. I don’t know when it started or whether it was short stories or whatever, but he wrote and wrote well. Somehow he got into TV Writing. 8

Now we arrive into what I call “documentable Pete.” He cut his teeth on THE MAN FROM UNCLE. He wrote for MCCLOUD and SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN. 9

But even here, there are things I can’t find proof of. Did he showrun THE BIONIC WOMAN and MRS COLUMBO? Maybe, but it’s not on IMDB. 10

At some point he had a fling with Sophia Loren. He and Robert Vaughn were best buddies. Why not? 11

Anyway somewhere along the way, Pete decided he’d lost his way in show biz. So at the height of his career, he quit. He left TV and became a train conductor. 12

Pete worked the LA to New Orleans overnight trains. It wasn’t as much fun as he thought it would be. 13

Eventually he decided to go back to TV (though he wrote some more episodes at some point. JAKE AND THE FATMAN. MAN FROM ATLANTIS. KNIGHT RIDER.) He got a gig on #StarTrek #TNG. That’s where I met him. He was there when I pitched “A Fistful of Datas”

He was already on #DS9 when I got the gig to write “Q-Less.” I got hired and he became my mentor and friend. 15

And yet he never really let me in. Maybe he’d seen too much death at a young age. Maybe he didn’t trust shoebiz friendships. Maybe I was just too much of a snot nosed punk. But that’s how it was. 17

Clearly I can’t count so maybe it was that. 16

He created raktajino. Latinum? That was Pete. He was an integral part of the birth of #DS9 18

Eventually Pete and #DS9 parted ways. He went on to write for #XENA. I tried to stay friends but it didn’t happen. Maybe I should have tried harder. 19

Pete retired to Santa Barbara. He finally found love late in life. Then he lost it when his love passed way. He was mostly alone at the end. Maybe that’s how he wanted it. But I wish it weren’t so. 21

Now Peter Alkan Fields is gone, but he leaves behind his only family... 60+ episodes of television. Watch some. They’re great. 22

In lieu of flowers, in memory of Peter Allan Fields, please tell someone an outrageous story about yourself and surprise them when it turns out to be true. #StarTrek #TNG #Ds9 #Xena #TVWriting 23/23
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Im just repeating P90 but their are a lot of good episodes on that list. The only one I Don't like is Blood Oath
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
        X