Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wheel of Time (Amazon TV series) -- news/speculation/discussion (spoilers)

We have a thread for the book series already, but it looks like there isn't one for the upcoming show just yet.

Amazon Prime's Wheel of Time series is coming! A couple months ago they announced that the first two episodes will be directed by Uta Briesewitz, who began her career as a cinematographer on the HBO series Hung, and has since racked up directing credits in The Deuce, This Is Us, Jessica Jones, Orange Is The New Black, Jane the Virgin, Fear the Walking Dead, and Stranger Things.

Just now, they announced their first casting news. Moiraine will be played by actress Rosamund Pike!

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Default Re: Wheel of Time (Amazon TV series) -- news/speculation/discussion (spoilers)

I'm looking forward to this. I started out on the books a number of years ago, but by the 5th or 6th, it felt like the author was just milking it to get more books. I just couldn't maintain interest.

I'm hoping they plan on speeding up the pace quite a bit, covering the story in a season or so, rather than dragging it out over 10 seasons or 6-7 movies.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Default Re: Wheel of Time (Amazon TV series) -- news/speculation/discussion (spoilers)

That would be impossible. Their are 14 books in the series. They can't realistically show the whole series over one TV season
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    That would be impossible. Their are 14 books in the series. They can't realistically show the whole series over one TV season
    And it seemed to me that much of the content from book 5 on was filler; It felt to me like he was just dragging it out to get more books. They can edit out the filler.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Staff Sergeant Bad Wolf the Artist's Avatar
    Hopefully somewhere near a bathroom and coffee!

I tried to read wheel of time but that was a long time ago but I do not remember what it is about.
    Hello
    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Quote Originally Posted by VrotoTurtle View Post
    I tried to read wheel of time but that was a long time ago but I do not remember what it is about.
    Farm boys and village girls from the sticks, rescued by magic lady from attack by monsters because they have a destiny to save the world from the Dark One and his minions. Also foreign warriors returning from overseas, gingers inexplicably living in the desert, and the female-only magic users living in a tower on an island that’s blatantly shaped like ladyparts.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    And it seemed to me that much of the content from book 5 on was filler; It felt to me like he was just dragging it out to get more books. They can edit out the filler.
    As someone who read the whole series, you are wrong
    Jelgate is right

They have cast their Rand

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...68876720984064

A young Dutch actor by the name of Josha Stradowski, who judging by his IMDb is still fairly new at this.
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm4413036/fi...?ref_=m_nmfm_1

I kind of said that most of the cast would be unknowns
    Jelgate is right

I kind of prefer that, honestly. It's less distracting from the story.

The rest of the cast....

Marcus Rutherford as Perrin:
    https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...448947201?s=20

Zoë Robins as Nynaeve:
    https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...117867008?s=20

Barney Harris as Mat:
    https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...534413824?s=20

Madeleine Madden as Egwene:
    https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...436185600?s=20

No sign of Thom though...

These are really not even close to how I pictured them while reading....except for the one they've cast as Mat. Guy looks like a s**t-disturber, exactly like Mat Cauthon should

The Pernin actor looks close
    Jelgate is right

I've only read the first book and I really can't remember much about it except that it's an absolutely epic journey.

Is it worth pushing on with it, to get more background (like with Game of Thrones - I was glad I'd read the books before watching because otherwise I felt I'd miss a lot) or do you all think it will be OK just to watch and forget about the books (14 isn't it?)

Hard to say without knowing how the TV show tackles it. I am glad that I’ve read the series, even if it did drag a little in some of the middle books.

They're just so ginormous. (plus weirdly, I've never read the Anne McCaffrey books so someone just sent me a boxful so I feel I ought to read those first...)

Quote Originally Posted by Major_Clanger View Post
    I've only read the first book and I really can't remember much about it except that it's an absolutely epic journey.

Is it worth pushing on with it, to get more background (like with Game of Thrones - I was glad I'd read the books before watching because otherwise I felt I'd miss a lot) or do you all think it will be OK just to watch and forget about the books (14 isn't it?)
    Just my own two cents worth. I read the books up to about 5; after that, it sorta began to feel that he was just dragging the story out to sell more books.. 6,7,8.. and so on.

Thanks. I may watch the series and based on that decide whether or not to continue with the books.

Daniel Henney is playing Lan on the Wheel of Time TV series. I think this could end up being a pretty good casting.

Also, the first picture of the primary cast together. Seeing them together really gels for me. Rand (knowing his true background) makes sense why he would stick out from the people who raised him.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    No sign of Thom though...

I've always kinda pictured him looking like Timothy Spall
    Last edited by Spimman; September 13th, 2019 at 11:12 AM.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Principal photography begins today!

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/statu...558875649?s=21