Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel of Time (Amazon TV series) -- news/speculation/discussion (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel of Time (Amazon TV series) -- news/speculation/discussion (spoilers)

We have a thread for the book series already, but it looks like there isn't one for the upcoming show just yet.

Amazon Prime's Wheel of Time series is coming! A couple months ago they announced that the first two episodes will be directed by Uta Briesewitz, who began her career as a cinematographer on the HBO series Hung, and has since racked up directing credits in The Deuce, This Is Us, Jessica Jones, Orange Is The New Black, Jane the Virgin, Fear the Walking Dead, and Stranger Things.

Just now, they announced their first casting news. Moiraine will be played by actress Rosamund Pike!

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'm looking forward to this. I started out on the books a number of years ago, but by the 5th or 6th, it felt like the author was just milking it to get more books. I just couldn't maintain interest.

I'm hoping they plan on speeding up the pace quite a bit, covering the story in a season or so, rather than dragging it out over 10 seasons or 6-7 movies.

Comment

That would be impossible. Their are 14 books in the series. They can't realistically show the whole series over one TV season
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        That would be impossible. Their are 14 books in the series. They can't realistically show the whole series over one TV season
        And it seemed to me that much of the content from book 5 on was filler; It felt to me like he was just dragging it out to get more books. They can edit out the filler.

Comment

I tried to read wheel of time but that was a long time ago but I do not remember what it is about.
          Hello
          I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

Originally posted by VrotoTurtle View Post
            I tried to read wheel of time but that was a long time ago but I do not remember what it is about.
            Farm boys and village girls from the sticks, rescued by magic lady from attack by monsters because they have a destiny to save the world from the Dark One and his minions. Also foreign warriors returning from overseas, gingers inexplicably living in the desert, and the female-only magic users living in a tower on an island that’s blatantly shaped like ladyparts.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              And it seemed to me that much of the content from book 5 on was filler; It felt to me like he was just dragging it out to get more books. They can edit out the filler.
              As someone who read the whole series, you are wrong
              Jelgate is right

Comment

They have cast their Rand

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...68876720984064

A young Dutch actor by the name of Josha Stradowski, who judging by his IMDb is still fairly new at this.
                https://m.imdb.com/name/nm4413036/fi...?ref_=m_nmfm_1

Comment

I kind of said that most of the cast would be unknowns
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I kind of prefer that, honestly. It's less distracting from the story.

Comment

The rest of the cast....

Marcus Rutherford as Perrin:
                      https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...448947201?s=20

Zoë Robins as Nynaeve:
                      https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...117867008?s=20

Barney Harris as Mat:
                      https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...534413824?s=20

Madeleine Madden as Egwene:
                      https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/statu...436185600?s=20

No sign of Thom though...

Comment

These are really not even close to how I pictured them while reading....except for the one they've cast as Mat. Guy looks like a s**t-disturber, exactly like Mat Cauthon should

Comment

The Pernin actor looks close
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I've only read the first book and I really can't remember much about it except that it's an absolutely epic journey.

Is it worth pushing on with it, to get more background (like with Game of Thrones - I was glad I'd read the books before watching because otherwise I felt I'd miss a lot) or do you all think it will be OK just to watch and forget about the books (14 isn't it?)

Comment

Hard to say without knowing how the TV show tackles it. I am glad that I’ve read the series, even if it did drag a little in some of the middle books.

Comment

Working...
                              X