Lucifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucifer

Has anyone watched the first season of Lucifer? Thoughts? Let's discuss!

I thought Tom Ellis was phenomenal in the role. He plays a fantastic Lucifer.
    sigpic
    [call me loser.]

I watched it, mostly delayed on Hulu. It was okay, Ellis was the best part, but I also liked Lesley-Ann Brandt as Maze. I may watch next season, but wouldn't have been too upset if it had been cancelled, which is what I expected.

Comment

Your expectations would be wrong
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Your expectations would be wrong
        If that's in reply to me, please note I said "what I expected," not "what I'm expecting." I know it was renewed, but it surprised me since the ratings were mediocre and there was hardly any buzz about the show, and I visit a lot of media sites very frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
          It was okay, Ellis was the best part, but I also liked Lesley-Ann Brandt as Maze.
          I agree! Maize was fun as well! It took a little while for them to get in a groove, but I thought they were really hurting their side by the end of the season.

The episode with Lucifer befriending the priest was def my favorite. It was a great character piece.
          sigpic
          [call me loser.]

Comment

Nothing like the comic but I liked the show. The show was at it's best when dealing with magic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
              Nothing like the comic but I liked the show. The show was at it's best when dealing with magic stuff.
              I haven't read the comic yet, but I plan to eventually. I agree tho, that the highlights of the show were when they dealt with magic. The actual crime stories were all extremely predictable IMO.
              sigpic
              [call me loser.]

Comment

I thought I'd recommend a show (and I didn't see a thread on it made yet). If you like family dramas I think this is a good one involving a son who was disowned and hates his father as a result, his back and forth relation with his crush, his brother who cares for him while wanting the approval of his father, his neurotic mother who is willing to release what is essentially a WMD to get back at her husband, and a whole lot more.

I phrase it like this because while it is technically a crime drama (the devil works with the LAPD), its first and foremost focus is its characters and anyone who is dead, dying, or will die are simply the catalyst by which these dramas are resolved.

And the best part? Things actually happen. I mean in like NCIS the Tiva relationship once established was pinned on a wall and not touched again until the end. In Lucifer, the character relationships and the characters are almost constantly changing. Abet very slowly at times. But things actually happen in their drama.

So, if you like crime dramas I recommend this one. And there is, of course, a supernatural twist to it all. After all, this is the devil working with the LAPD.

sigpic
                Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

No wonder I couldn't find this thread, it's all the way back in 2016.

sigpic

Comment

So S5 dropped and I thought I'd drop my opinions.

Every season of Lucifer has been so different from each other that S5P1 being remotely similar to S4 is actually a surprise. Current ranking is S4, 2, 1, 3. So where does S5P1 rank? Binged watched the half a season in one day and walked away...disappointed. I was confused by this though. If I had disliked it then why was it I couldn't stop myself from clicking the next episode? So I slept on it and it finally occurred to me. Disappointment is when reality falls short of your desire, but it is not a testament to how good it actually is. So I watched it again with my blinders off and I greatly enjoyed it. The thing is S4 set the bar high, like REALLY high. And I expected more of what S4 gave. But so I don't think it reaches S4's level. And I can say I think it's better than S1. But how does it stack against S2? I actually can't say. I've been flipping between which I consider better and can't decide. S5 does a lot right. But it also does stuff wrong.

The plot with Maze is like "are we really doing this song and dance AGAIN?". It feels like the writers want to do something with her but don't know what. The pacing could feel wonky at times. Things that felt like would need two episodes got one and things that could take one episode got two. Though it was still better paced than S3. Another strange thing about the pacing results from the filler eps. S1, 2 & 4 had little in terms of filler. Each ep served to take the plot a good step forwards. S3 had filler where it simply nudges slightly forward though the more episodic nature helped with the pacing. S5 seemed to try to tell a single linear story merely to stop and tell some filler. So the pacing was strange. Luci's actual return felt very anti-climactic for such an emotional goodbye. This also may be a symptom of it being on netflix and I know this is just half a season but I felt the finale was also anti-climactic. When you compare the showdown with Malcolm, the final farewell of the Goddess, or the showdown with Pierce, we have what feels like an entire season building up to a two-part finale, that it all leads up to this with everything on the line. S4's finale didn't have that. S4's showdown with the demons didn't get the feel of an entire season's build up. So I guess S5P1 does have a leg up in that department over S4 as it did feel like there was a showdown with Michael brewing though it still didn't hit the emotional highs S1-3's showdowns did. And the plot point of Chloe's ex returning one final time did feel contrived.

I do like their take on Chloe knowing the truth about herself and I think her attitude is justified. I like that Charlie is playing a big role and isn't just forgotten or turned into an occasional name drop. I like how even after they culminate their relation, Chloe and Lucifer are still Chloe and Lucifer. They haven't lost their identities. Michael was very impressive and had a Heath Ledger Joker vibe. I liked seeing evolution in the characters such as Dan coming back form his grief or Linda and Amenadiel figuring out how to be parents. And you can tell the Luci writers were just trying to have fun with Diablo and the Noir episode (though I have a soft spot for black and white noir detective stuff).

Some stuff about the pacing. It feels like the writers had wrote another season with the same style as S4, but when they got room for 6 more episodes, they weren't sure what to do. So they stretched certain plot points to cover these eps while putting in filler plot. Now there is a negative connotation with filler, that the writers just jam random crap. And while what we see doesn't quite move the plot like the rest of the eps, they aren't crap either. One downside of S4 is that the tight story telling left little room for stuff we used to see. Trixie. Luciferisms. Etc. So the writers dedicated these episodes to that. So your enjoyment of S5P1 will come down to if you like the characters. If you don't you'll be impacted by the pacing and the filler middle will be a bore to you. If you like the characters then you'll like the filler since those are the writers having fun with the gang.

Fears going forward:

For crying out loud, stop doing the same thing with Maze. Maybe just let her be.

And romance contrivances. They haven't done it yet but I always fear it. Luci and Chlo are now a couple, so they'll have their dramas. How dumb will it be if the drama turns out it doesn't work out, they break up, then they have to work to get back together. I think we can all agree that would be stupid. Yet it's a very common romance plot point. I hope it's one they do not use.

sigpic

Comment

This is the song I have for my first daughter (who is now almost 17) but it is PERFECT for Lucifer.
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                      X