Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 30 something too much for season 1 for dvd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 30 something too much for season 1 for dvd?

I was about to order Star Trek Discovery season 1 on DVD but I thought that the thirty something amazon wanted was too much. Or maybe it was Blu-ray instead of DVD, but still I was not sure if it was a good deal or not.
    Hello
    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Amazon isn't usually the cheapest way to buy anything, but considering it's a remote purchase, you have very little recourse if the deal goes sour. I'd rather pay Amazon a little more for it because they've got a very good track record.

Myself, I have no plans to buy it anytime soon. I will not subscribe to their streaming channel to watch it.

CBS is a rich, old-line network. All of these new shows will be subscription only. They're just trying to use the Trek franchise to bootstrap their streaming service, and since I don't like that all that much, they can keep "Discovery" and whatever else they paint Trek's name on.
    Last edited by Annoyed; 17 June 2019, 03:24 PM.

Comment

In the rest of the world, Discovery is on Netflix so until the series ends, I'm not investing in DVD's for it.

But I guess, in the USA that's a different ballgame.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

On Amazon Canada, the season 1 set is currently listed for $17.99 (DVD) / $48.90 (BD). Maybe just keep an eye on it for price fluctuations to make sure you get the best deal.

Discovery is an awesome show, but there is zero chance I would pay $30 for a DVD of 15 episodes. BD yes, DVD no. Heck, there's no way I would pay $30 for any DVD at this point, it's an obsolete/outmoded format and has been for over ten years -- even DVD's replacement is now being obsoleted out by a superior format. Excepting MOD or specialty products, no DVD should be priced higher than $15-20.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          On Amazon Canada, the season 1 set is currently listed for $17.99 (DVD) / $48.90 (BD). Maybe just keep an eye on it for price fluctuations to make sure you get the best deal.

Discovery is an awesome show, but there is zero chance I would pay $30 for a DVD of 15 episodes. BD yes, DVD no. Heck, there's no way I would pay $30 for any DVD at this point, it's an obsolete/outmoded format and has been for over ten years -- even DVD's replacement is now being obsoleted out by a superior format. Excepting MOD or specialty products, no DVD should be priced higher than $15-20.
          $49 bucks for BD? Man, they really are milking that cow for all its worth.

Comment

Yes. Continuing on with what I was saying in my previous post here, BD is also being obsoleted out by a superior format, so I was also surprised that it's priced so high. These days I'm surprised to see a BD set that's priced higher than $30-40.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I’d be all for buying it for that price. Seems very fair for a season no set. But i’m All for supporting physical media.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

never heard of a physical format set to replace BD's

Comment

4K discs.

Comment

4K discs.
                    ah I see....must be really new...and I guess people will be looking for players that can play all 3 video disc formats now

Comment

Not super new no, they started releasing them around mid-2016 sometime. But much like BD supplanting DVD, it's been a gradual process of more and more releases, 'combo pack' bundles, that kind of thing.

I don't actually own a 4K TV, but I've been 'future proofing' my disc purchases for a year or two now by getting the 4K/BD combo pack releases, so I can play on what I currently own while still being prepared for whenever I end up getting a new TV.

Comment

I dunno about you, but I can't afford to update every time there is a new format.

I don't plan on upgrading TV's anytime soon. All are either Plasma or LED, with digital tuners and HDMI connections.

And at my age, I don't think I can tell the difference anyway. I've seen displays in stores, and I don't see that big a change.

Comment

You'll note that I said I don't own a 4K TV, three-ish years into their lifecycle

Prices on 4K TVs are significantly down from where they were at launch, which is just how I like to buy things, but even then, I won't be bothering until my current TV croaks. Gotta keep up with new formats and new standards....but that doesn't mean I have to do it at full/launch price.

Comment

*still has some old VHS cassettes...and a VCR to play them on*

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                              *still has some old VHS cassettes...and a VCR to play them on*
                              They almost pre-date you dude!!
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X