Staff Sergeant Bad Wolf the Artist's Avatar
    Hopefully somewhere near a bathroom and coffee!

Default Is 30 something too much for season 1 for dvd?

I was about to order Star Trek Discovery season 1 on DVD but I thought that the thirty something amazon wanted was too much. Or maybe it was Blu-ray instead of DVD, but still I was not sure if it was a good deal or not.
    Hello
    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Default Re: Is 30 something too much for season 1 for dvd?

Amazon isn't usually the cheapest way to buy anything, but considering it's a remote purchase, you have very little recourse if the deal goes sour. I'd rather pay Amazon a little more for it because they've got a very good track record.

Myself, I have no plans to buy it anytime soon. I will not subscribe to their streaming channel to watch it.

CBS is a rich, old-line network. All of these new shows will be subscription only. They're just trying to use the Trek franchise to bootstrap their streaming service, and since I don't like that all that much, they can keep "Discovery" and whatever else they paint Trek's name on.
    Last edited by Annoyed; June 17th, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

In the rest of the world, Discovery is on Netflix so until the series ends, I'm not investing in DVD's for it.

But I guess, in the USA that's a different ballgame.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

On Amazon Canada, the season 1 set is currently listed for $17.99 (DVD) / $48.90 (BD). Maybe just keep an eye on it for price fluctuations to make sure you get the best deal.

Discovery is an awesome show, but there is zero chance I would pay $30 for a DVD of 15 episodes. BD yes, DVD no. Heck, there's no way I would pay $30 for any DVD at this point, it's an obsolete/outmoded format and has been for over ten years -- even DVD's replacement is now being obsoleted out by a superior format. Excepting MOD or specialty products, no DVD should be priced higher than $15-20.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    On Amazon Canada, the season 1 set is currently listed for $17.99 (DVD) / $48.90 (BD). Maybe just keep an eye on it for price fluctuations to make sure you get the best deal.

Discovery is an awesome show, but there is zero chance I would pay $30 for a DVD of 15 episodes. BD yes, DVD no. Heck, there's no way I would pay $30 for any DVD at this point, it's an obsolete/outmoded format and has been for over ten years -- even DVD's replacement is now being obsoleted out by a superior format. Excepting MOD or specialty products, no DVD should be priced higher than $15-20.
    $49 bucks for BD? Man, they really are milking that cow for all its worth.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Yes. Continuing on with what I was saying in my previous post here, BD is also being obsoleted out by a superior format, so I was also surprised that it's priced so high. These days I'm surprised to see a BD set that's priced higher than $30-40.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I’d be all for buying it for that price. Seems very fair for a season no set. But i’m All for supporting physical media.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

never heard of a physical format set to replace BD's

4K discs.

4K discs.
    ah I see....must be really new...and I guess people will be looking for players that can play all 3 video disc formats now

Not super new no, they started releasing them around mid-2016 sometime. But much like BD supplanting DVD, it's been a gradual process of more and more releases, 'combo pack' bundles, that kind of thing.

I don't actually own a 4K TV, but I've been 'future proofing' my disc purchases for a year or two now by getting the 4K/BD combo pack releases, so I can play on what I currently own while still being prepared for whenever I end up getting a new TV.

I dunno about you, but I can't afford to update every time there is a new format.

I don't plan on upgrading TV's anytime soon. All are either Plasma or LED, with digital tuners and HDMI connections.

And at my age, I don't think I can tell the difference anyway. I've seen displays in stores, and I don't see that big a change.

You'll note that I said I don't own a 4K TV, three-ish years into their lifecycle

Prices on 4K TVs are significantly down from where they were at launch, which is just how I like to buy things, but even then, I won't be bothering until my current TV croaks. Gotta keep up with new formats and new standards....but that doesn't mean I have to do it at full/launch price.

*still has some old VHS cassettes...and a VCR to play them on*

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    *still has some old VHS cassettes...and a VCR to play them on*
    They almost pre-date you dude!!
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

I guess that depends on how much you actually want that DVD/blu-ray. Though one should also keep in mind that they can get more expensive the longer you wait....I had that a few times with something I wanted. Thought I wait, it will get cheaper but the actual opposite to that happend

The last major film to be released on VHS was A History of Violence, back in 2006, and production on VCRs ceased entirely in 2016. VHS is definitely dead

I won't try to predict when the same will happen to DVD - it's really only the second-ever mainstream home video format - but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

I installed the DVD/BR app on my Xbox One just yesterday because I mixed up my Xbox's. I usually play DVD's on my 360. So now, I could probably buy BR's if I wanted to but will I... depends on the price and what's available.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf the Artist View Post
    I was about to order Star Trek Discovery season 1 on DVD but I thought that the thirty something amazon wanted was too much. Or maybe it was Blu-ray instead of DVD, but still I was not sure if it was a good deal or not.
    Forgot to ask, how many discs are in there?

Like for 2 discs I would say 30 is too much, but for 6 I would say it's alright