What is the difference between fanfic and Orville like homage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the difference between fanfic and Orville like homage

What is the difference between fan fiction and Orville like homage? I got a story universe stuck in my head, but I feel like it is to Stargate as Orville is to Star Trek.
    I have been told my ideas are tripe and I threw a stargate into it without much thinking. Ever since I saw stargate (the 1994 movie) I fell in love with it. I love gate travel. It brings interplanetary travel into my stories that make sense without need for starships or oddly explained travel that only a few can do.
    Hello
    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Fan fiction = fiction written by a fan, unsanctioned by the copyright owners but they generally won't come after you to take if offline unless you're selling your fiction for profit. You do not own a license so do not have the right to do that.

If you've got yourself a Stargate Orville homage -- it's still fanfiction cause you're the fan who wrote it.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Also, fan fiction uses characters and/or settings from the established shows. An homage creates original characters and a setting similar, but not identical, to the original.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Yes, also that...
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Would this idea be a homage or fan fic? The story does not take place on Earth, but two different planets. It is about a guy and a gal who live on a different planet than each other. I thought of this idea some years ago, but I remembered it had a stargate to have the two lovers meet each other and fall in love. I wanted them from two different planets but I do not want them to use starships so I have them use a StarGate.
          I think it is a homage but I am not sure.
          Hello
          I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf the Artist View Post
            Would this idea be a homage or fan fic? The story does not take place on Earth, but two different planets. It is about a guy and a gal who live on a different planet than each other. I thought of this idea some years ago, but I remembered it had a stargate to have the two lovers meet each other and fall in love. I wanted them from two different planets but I do not want them to use starships so I have them use a StarGate.
            I think it is a homage but I am not sure.
            The idea of a device that transports people between worlds predates Stargate. For example, a 1989 episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" introduced a world that contained doorways which transported people to other planets. Here's an image of the Iconian gateway: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Iconian_gateway?file=Iconian_gateway_toronto.jpg

Whether your story is fan fiction or not depends on how heavily you lean into the mythology of Stargate. If you just have a device that transports people between worlds and it's not an exact copy of a Stargate, it's fair to say you were inspired by the Stargate franchise and leave it at that. What you're ultimately doing, in that case, is taking a generic fiction idea and inserting it into your unique setting.

That happens all the time. Star Trek, for example, did that very thing with transporters. Some people mistakenly think the idea originated with them and that other science fiction shows are ripping them off, but all they did is put their own spin on an established fictional idea as an easy workaround to their budget woes (they couldn't afford to do everything necessary to make it look like a shuttle landed on a planet each week).

Edit: If you want to distinguish your device from Stargate lore, it might help to expose yourself to different iterations of this trope. See what aspects from different authors that you like/dislike, incorporate the aspects you really like into your story, and see if this spurs your imagination to create new aspects. I'll list a few sources for you below in case you're interested (although a mix of sci fi and fantasy, they use different explanations for many of the same effects, so I think it's valuable to look at both).

Hyperion Cantos - This is a science fiction book series that uses portals to transport between worlds. You can read an overview and see an artistic depiction of it here.

Wheel of Time - A fantasy series. The most common portals here are called redstone doorways.

The Dark Tower - Stephen King uses doors to connect to different worlds here.

The Chronicles of Narnia - You probably know of the magical wardrobe already.

Alice in Wonderland - The mirrors are also a familiar one.

Morgaine Cycle - A sci fi series from the 70s that uses portals linking both time and space.

**Basically anything in a Dungeons and Dragons setting**

Exit West - This is recent novel that uses portals in a non-traditional immigrant story. This is a bit different from the previous suggestions in that the portals are the only magical element; outside of that, it's a true to life story.

Fringe - To switch things up, this is a TV show that uses portals to get between different dimensions.

Sliders - Similar to above.

(I'm sure others can offer you even more suggestions if you're interested, and you can find more if you look online.)
            Last edited by Xaeden; 26 June 2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X