Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I watch Season 2? Or rewatch season 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I watch Season 2? Or rewatch season 1?

Should I start with watching Season 2 or do I need to rewatch season 1? I have not seen season 2 but I have seen season one several years ago. Should I just jump in with season 2 or what?
    Hello
    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

If you have seen season 1 before I think you'll pretty quickly pick it back up OK with season 2. A lot of the stuff at the start of Season 1 was about how to survive on Destiny and then with the ship jumping in FTL all the time much of what they encounter doesn't follow through to future story lines anyway (with a few exceptions). Having said that there is no harm in re-watching season 1 first if you want to.

Comment

Personally, I'd give it a rewatch just so it's refreshed.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I know many have said they didn't enjoy Season 1 particularly but Season 2 they found was much better, so why not, it's not a ''complete'' season either due to cancellation of SGU.
        Spoiler:
        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

The last 3 episodes of season 1 are strongly connected to the season premiere, so I would definately rewatch at least those ones.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
            I know many have said they didn't enjoy Season 1 particularly but Season 2 they found was much better, so why not, it's not a ''complete'' season either due to cancellation of SGU.
            Why was it cancelled?
            Hello
            I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

Originally posted by VrotoTurtle View Post
              Why was it cancelled?
              Its ratings were too low to justify the expense, but the Sci Fi channel was badly mismanaging some of its shows at the time by sticking them in bad slots without proper programming blocks. Basically, they wanted it to air in the fall against heavy network competition and they only put original programming before/after it intermittently. For example, at one point the big announcement was that it was getting re-runs of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" as a lead-in.

That's not to say it definitely would've gotten the ratings necessary to make it to the planned 5-year mark under better management. The Sci Fi channel, though, tanked the ratings of two previous hits (Battlestar Galactica and Stargate: Atlantis) by taking them away from their strong summer programming block and airing them by themselves in the fall, so the Sci Fi channel is at least partly to blame for SGU's ratings problem.

Comment

I would add...

S01 was a shock for most SG fans since it was completely different than the SG1-SGA model paired with the fact that most people didn't particularly enjoy seeing the Destiny crew struggle to take control of the ship for so long and the divisions among them. That's not an opinion that I share but I can understand it.

Although, S02 was really the coming together and in my opinion the show gets exponentially better and so did the ratings if memory serves, but as Xaeden pointed out it was mostly due to the bad management and terrible business decisions just to pull in a bigger profit (they showcased Wrestling instead).
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  S01 was a shock for most SG fans since it was completely different than the SG1-SGA model
                  Proficient programming executives could've helped with this, too. The smart move would've been to keep Atlantis around for at least another season and not only pair it with SGU, but move them both back to the summer with a solid third show to round out their programming block. This would've prevented fans from feeling like Atlantis was canceled for SGU and it would've eased them into the different style. Whether the network should've forced the writers to make their third spin-off more like BSG than they wanted to is another matter (I agree that this was also a problem), but once that decision was made, keeping Atlantis around would've led to more engagement with SGU among fans if they aired together and there was the promise of crossovers.

When the two Stargate shows and BSG were together, the Sci Fi channel had a winning programming block that did very well for them in the ratings because they created an event night that drew in different types of science fiction fans. Not everyone liked Stargate's lighter tone or BSG's darker tone and many people would complain about this on a weekly basis. Nevertheless, BSG fans kept tuning in before 10:00 PM to watch Stargate and Stargate fans kept staying up late to watch BSG.

and so did the ratings if memory serves, but as Xaeden pointed out it was mostly due to the bad management and terrible business decisions just to pull in a bigger profit (they showcased Wrestling instead).
                  They didn't. Season 2 was when the network started messing with it the most (moving it off Fridays to make room for wrestling, moving it between earlier days in the week, briefly pairing it with the always poorly rated Caprica, etc.), and the ratings in fact declined. The lowest rated episode of season 1 was 1x14, which earned a 1.31, and the finale pulled in a 1.47. In comparison, no season 2 episode ever did better than 2x3's 1.22, and season 2 premiered to a 1.18. That was before the move from Fridays, but they had already cemented it as a show to DVR by failing to give it a programming block and a less competitive timeslot, and after the network messed with it repeatedly, it dipped repeatedly into 0.8 territory.

Meanwhile, Amanda Tapping's "Sanctuary" was allowed to stay on Fridays for a bit, so it had wrestling as a lead-in. At the time it was pulling in around a 1.4. When it was moved to earlier in the week like SGU, its ratings dropped to around the 1.0 that SGU typically brought in. Lead-ins and programming blocks matter.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 03 May 2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    Personally, I'd give it a rewatch just so it's refreshed.
                    I second that. I found with re-watching the first season there was loads I missed when it first aired as I was trying to deal with the different nature of this SG offering. It was better watching it on DVD at my own pace than waiting a week for the next episode.

Then you'll be set up for the great second season.

Comment

Okay. I will look to see if it is still on prime or something for free. It looks like it is still on prime.
                      Hello

Comment

The first season I watch 2 times 1 time lonely and the second time with my cousin so I have started to watch the second season with my cousin I would say you must start to watch the second season

Comment

Working...
                        X