Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
    What I meant is that despite 5e being simpler in design, or rather lighter in rules and stats, than previous editions, it's still Dungeons & Dragons. It's not "hand-holdingly" simple or "dumbed down" to the point that there is no challenge or any complexity at all. But it's just easier to get into.
    Ahh, the "crunchy" factor
    TBH, 2nd, 3rd and 5th are no more or less complex than each other. 1st was slightly more complex, 4th was mind numbingly less complex and basic was slightly less complex (with a fantastic world in Mystara). 5th is -currently- less daunting than say 3.0/3.5 but that's more a function of available official content (I have roughly 30 odd rules supplements for 3.5) rather than actual rule complexity.
    It's not my fave system, not by a long shot, but it is entirely serviceable, and has created some of my fave worlds such as Dark sun, Birthright, Ravenloft and Dragonlance.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/...eplaying-game/
      I started to get used to the Stargate Phoenix name in spite of my previous mixed feelings regarding the established lore.

A little improvised joke:
      - Why is the base called Phoenix?
      - Because it is regularly burned to the ground by the Goa'uld, but it is being rebuilt.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        I started to get used to the Stargate Phoenix name in spite of my previous mixed feelings regarding the established lore.

A little improvised joke:
        - Why is the base called Phoenix?
        - Because it is regularly burned to the ground by the Goa'uld, but it is being rebuilt.
        LOL --

Good one!
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I like "Stargate: Phoenix" as a title for the campaign, but not for the base itself. It just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as Stargate Command, and definitely doesn't sound right for a military base, alongside names as Stargate Command and Alpha site. If they have to use "Phoenix" I'd rather have the base called Phoenix Site, Phoenix Base, or Phoenix Command, in that order of preference.

Comment

Phoenix Base and Phoenix Command have my vote.

Edit
            GF got me the D&D 5e playbook so I'll have some reading to do first.
            And I just installed Discord again.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              Phoenix Base and Phoenix Command have my vote.

Edit
              GF got me the D&D 5e playbook so I'll have some reading to do first.
              And I just installed Discord again.
              Nice! But, first rule: RPG books are called "rulebooks", and every RPG has a "core rulebook". The D&D 5e core books are called the Player's Handbook (PHB), Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG), and Monster Manual (MM). This is me teasing you of course... but seriously... "playbook"?

Comment

Nice! But, first rule: RPG books are called "rulebooks", and every RPG has a "core rulebook". The D&D 5e core books are called the Player's Handbook (PHB), Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG), and Monster Manual (MM). This is me teasing you of course... but seriously... "playbook"?
                I sent her the PHB
                FH is not an English first language person, give her a break on that.
                sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of that scene in Robin Hood: Men In Tights where King Richard and the Rabbi had that sword/knife exchange.

But wait another week... when I get back from Spain, I'll know what I'm talking about...

Comment

Does one of you RPG experts want to review this one for GateWorld when it comes out? I might be able to score you a free copy if you can do a play-through, write up a review, and maybe include some pictures.

Drop me an e-mail if you'd be interested!

~Darren

Comment

What exactly are you looking for Darren? Are you after a system review, or do you specifically want a review after playing a "adventure" (probably will be called missions I would assume)
                      sigpic

Comment

NickEast and/or Gatefan1976 would be great candidates for review. If it ever happens and it is not cancelled before publishing. I know I sound a but sceptical, but the history of the Stargate merchandise was always rough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet
                        The off-world bases were always named after the Greek Alphabet, while the ships has followed mostly the Greek mythology. But I am sure the fans will accept the "Phoenix Site" as long as the backstory is well developed.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          NickEast and/or Gatefan1976 would be great candidates for review. If it ever happens and it is not cancelled before publishing. I know I sound a but sceptical, but the history of the Stargate merchandise was always rough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet
                          The off-world bases were always named after the Greek Alphabet, while the ships has followed mostly the Greek mythology. But I am sure the fans will accept the "Phoenix Site" as long as the backstory is well developed.
                          Given that Wyvern has already released a pre generated character: https://stargatetherpg.com/forums/to...en-characters/
                          There are already several things I can infer from this.
                          1: They are using the 5e PHB "standard array" for stat generation.
                          2: They are using a form of backgrounds, class and race to determine skill proficiency.
                          3: they have subtly altered the skill list to represent a more modern environment.
                          4: They are using the base proficiency advancement from 5th ed, which means they are probably using the class level ASI advancement as well.
                          5: They are re-writing the rules for Amour to be in line with a more modern system, but basing it off the armour classes of 5th ed rules.
                          6: They are seriously lowballing the damage guns are capable of putting out in comparison to whatever they have decided for a Hit Point system. I'm not good with this idea, as it just doesn't sit well with me personally. I hope they do something with burst shot's, cover fire and single fire for military grade weapons.
                          7: I am not sure how they will deal with the various 5th ed "bonus damage" types such as radiant, necrotic, thunder, force etc. They could simply ignore it, but that cut's out a lot of the "burst damage" of some class archetypes.
                          8: They are using the class based bonuses for saving throws.

If I had a 3rd lvl character to work with, I could infer a hell of a lot more as it would show some growth and progression, and weather they would go for sub-classes as is standard for 5th ed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            Given that Wyvern has already released a pre generated character: https://stargatetherpg.com/forums/to...en-characters/
                            There are already several things I can infer from this.
                            1: They are using the 5e PHB "standard array" for stat generation.
                            2: They are using a form of backgrounds, class and race to determine skill proficiency.
                            3: they have subtly altered the skill list to represent a more modern environment.
                            4: They are using the base proficiency advancement from 5th ed, which means they are probably using the class level ASI advancement as well.
                            5: They are re-writing the rules for Amour to be in line with a more modern system, but basing it off the armour classes of 5th ed rules.
                            6: They are seriously lowballing the damage guns are capable of putting out in comparison to whatever they have decided for a Hit Point system. I'm not good with this idea, as it just doesn't sit well with me personally. I hope they do something with burst shot's, cover fire and single fire for military grade weapons.
                            7: I am not sure how they will deal with the various 5th ed "bonus damage" types such as radiant, necrotic, thunder, force etc. They could simply ignore it, but that cut's out a lot of the "burst damage" of some class archetypes.
                            8: They are using the class based bonuses for saving throws.

If I had a 3rd lvl character to work with, I could infer a hell of a lot more as it would show some growth and progression, and weather they would go for sub-classes as is standard for 5th ed.
                            Remember that it's also still pre-alpha-style content, so everything can, and probably will, change.

That said, the information revealed through the interview has not made a good impression on me. It seems far too limiting for a "Stargate" RPG. It's more like the game as a whole is going to be a spinoff of the series rather than be based on the entire franchise, like other IP-based RPGs are. But I'll keep an eye out, I'd be interested in doing a review, but that entirely depends on how the game evolves, which would determine whether I'd be interested in playing at all.

Comment

Remember that it's also still pre-alpha-style content, so everything can, and probably will, change.
                              The chosen system will not however. That gives me insight om what they intend to do, to a degree.
                              That said, the information revealed through the interview has not made a good impression on me. It seems far too limiting for a "Stargate" RPG. It's more like the game as a whole is going to be a spinoff of the series rather than be based on the entire franchise, like other IP-based RPGs are.
                              MGM has proven itself to be risk adverse, and given that 5th ed is leading the resurgence in pen and paper games, it makes perfect sense they would adopt it's system. I don't think it is the best system for Stargate, but that is where we are.
                              But I'll keep an eye out, I'd be interested in doing a review, but that entirely depends on how the game evolves, which would determine whether I'd be interested in playing at all.
                              Have you ever actually played a RPG, with a GM and players?
                              sigpic

Comment

The chosen system will not however. That gives me insight om what they intend to do, to a degree.
                                As you've said so yourself, they've already changed parts of it. They use 5e as a base, doesn't mean it will be identical. So while you may be able to get a rough idea, that doesn't mean you can judge the game accurately at this moment.

MGM has proven itself to be risk adverse, and given that 5th ed is leading the resurgence in pen and paper games, it makes perfect sense they would adopt it's system. I don't think it is the best system for Stargate, but that is where we are.
                                MGM licenses the Stargate IP. While they likely have some input in regards to story material, making sure it's "canon" for how much they care, I'm 100% certain they have no influence on the actual development. Wyvern chose to make a Stargate RPG, and they chose to use 5e (though you are right about the reason they chose it, because they feel it's the most accessible).

Have you ever actually played a RPG, with a GM and players?
                                No, but that doesn't mean I won't be able to review the game. Perhaps I will be able to play with a group in the near future. But it doesn't affect my understanding of 5e in general and the Stargate RPG in particular.

Comment

Working...
                                X