No announcement yet.

Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falcie : Thanks for the link, finally we got more informations.

I like the name Stargate : Phoenix as it would fit for the revival of the franchise. On the hand, this name was meant to be kept for an X304 ship which was renamed to Hammond onscreen when Don. S Davis has pasted away.

Atlantis 4x20
    "Finally, they decided to give her a new ship, the Phoenix. It was barely off the assembly line. Half the Asgard systems weren't finished, the other half…weren't working."
    http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...%22_Transcript

So maybe the name of the base shouss be changed to something else. Like Stargate Valhalla - it could refer to the gathering new heroes from different worlds. Or maybe Olympus, but it would be too much Goa'uld connection. Talking about Norse mythology, can we expect the Asgards as NPCs or later a playable race?

I also like the 3 character portraits. It will be definately worth of buying this rpg if we can get lots of Stargate related artwork. I can't wait to hear about the old and new Goa'ulds. Please make some drawings about the different Jaffa guards.

The Aturen looks interesting like a Nox raised human. Just their race name sounds like uterus. Maybe it is just me who has misread the characters. Probably job related, my bad. Ehh.

I like the "gate master" naming as it sounds much better than game master.

So anyway I am interested and excited so far. Let us know if you need any help.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'm not too excited about the default setting though. The interview also implies that the base game does not include the Tau'ri, but only "alien" humans. But of course you can create your own game and use the built in stats to still create a Tau'ri character, as long as the base system contains rules for Earth equipment.

@Platschu unlike with video games, if there are rules for an Asgard species, then you can make an Asgard Player Character and NPC. Mechanically-wise there are no differences between PCs and NPCs, just who controls them and how much detail they should have (most NPCs usually have less detail so it's easier on the GM to control them, but important NPCs and bosses are typically the equivalent of a PC).

Also, as for a group, while it's not much to look at yet, I've got a Discord invite in my signature below for a server where I've got a place for Stargate and Star Trek games. I'm also going to play Stargate solo (and perhaps record it) at some point, solo play is very much possible and a godsend if you can't get a group together, it just requires more work on your part. I'll be playing a Stargate adventure tomorrow for the 25th anniversary, and to get better at solo play, using a different system (FATE if anyone's curious).

Comment

5e as a base ruleset?
        That will require some serious overhauling.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I haven't noticed the non-Tauri criteria, but now as you have mentioned it I have readed the whole interview more accurately. I don't know why the SGC is closed out, probably it must about leadership and canon continuity. But then it feels they have made an SGCv2.0 with aliens like Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9. And how can we know if the leaderships' goals are the same for SGC and SG-P if there are different commanders? And why would an alien race live on that base instead of living offworld? Then when they are needed they can dial the base. And how can be kept in secret? Why do you think the Goa'uld won't find a brainwashing way to capture it? Will it have an own energy shield/Iris with a GDO?

Asgards are too powerful and often unpredictable. So why somw new Asgard could give them missions, maybe their technology would be too powerful and unbalanced for the gameplay. Especially if we could see those drones what were meant to be in Stargate : Worlds. But that game and concept arts became an alternate universe anyway.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            I haven't noticed the non-Tauri criteria, but now as you have mentioned it I have readed the whole interview more accurately. I don't know why the SGC is closed out, probably it must about leadership and canon continuity. But then it feels they have made an SGCv2.0 with aliens like Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9. And how can we know if the leaderships' goals are the same for SGC and SG-P if there are different commanders? And why would an alien race live on that base instead of living offworld? Then when they are needed they can dial the base. And how can be kept in secret? Why do you think the Goa'uld won't find a brainwashing way to capture it? Will it have an own energy shield/Iris with a GDO?
            It's so the effects of the TV series can sit adjacent to SG . It also allows more variation in team composition and goals.
            Asgards are too powerful and often unpredictable. So why somw new Asgard could give them missions, maybe their technology would be too powerful and unbalanced for the gameplay. Especially if we could see those drones what were meant to be in Stargate : Worlds. But that game and concept arts became an alternate universe anyway.
            I suspect that will form part of the re-writes on the 5thED magic system.
            sigpic

Comment

5e works fine. The original Stargate RPG ran on D&D's system as well (3/3.5e), through the Spycraft system. Then there's also the upcoming The Spy Game which also runs on 5e and also works quite well. It does require work, sure, because of stripping out the magic, and adding technology and different types of weapons. But that's mostly the flavor mechanics, the core mechanics (classes, skills, abilities) can remain the same, just rebranded and styled according to the Stargate setting.

But of course, not everyone likes D&D (5e). But there are of course plenty of conversions for other systems (Savage Worlds being quite popular I think). I'll be using FATE for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                5e works fine. The original Stargate RPG ran on D&D's system as well (3/3.5e), through the Spycraft system. Then there's also the upcoming The Spy Game which also runs on 5e and also works quite well. It does require work, sure, because of stripping out the magic, and adding technology and different types of weapons. But that's mostly the flavor mechanics, the core mechanics (classes, skills, abilities) can remain the same, just rebranded and styled according to the Stargate setting.

But of course, not everyone likes D&D (5e). But there are of course plenty of conversions for other systems (Savage Worlds being quite popular I think). I'll be using FATE for the time being.
                Sure, it works fine. The class system though would have to be stripped out (I don't think you could run class concepts like paladins, warlocks, sorcerers or wizards and some classes would have to have race restrictions).
                I have a few issues with 5th ed but none that good DMing can't solve
                sigpic

Comment

It looks like both of you are experts. I have never played D&D. I have played with the Eye of the beholder 1-3 games, then I have read 15-17 Drizzt Do'Urden books, so I am familiar with the Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun settings, but that is all. I hope they know what they are doing. Earlier I have expected that they will develop their own rpg system, when we have suggested the skill tree-glyph idea, but now it looks like they use the D&D. I would still not afraid of it as the gameplay depends on the players and the creativity of the gate master. So you can introduce your own playable races, characters, new enemies what you want as even the rulebook should be considered as a guidelime. The goal is the entertaining time together.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                    It looks like both of you are experts. I have never played D&D. I have played with the Eye of the beholder 1-3 games, then I have read 15-17 Drizzt Do'Urden books, so I am familiar with the Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun settings, but that is all. I hope they know what they are doing. Earlier I have expected that they will develop their own rpg system, when we have suggested the skill tree-glyph idea, but now it looks like they use the D&D. I would still not afraid of it as the gameplay depends on the players and the creativity of the gate master. So you can introduce your own playable races, characters, new enemies what you want as even the rulebook should be considered as a guidelime. The goal is the entertaining time together.
                    I'm no expert at all. I've never even played an RPG properly, let alone D&D. But I have studied game design and understand the underlying mechanics of D&D, among others.

Comment

I've not played 5e, my experience with 4e sorta soured me on WoTC, and as such have only looked at 5e in white room theory. It's a cross between 4th and 3.x. Design wise it's a solid system, if relatively basic (not that that is inherently bad) and it's certainly better than the D20 Modern / Spycraft system used in the previous SG-1 game. It will be interesting to see how they adapt 5e to a SG-1 setting.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        I've not played 5e, my experience with 4e sorta soured me on WoTC, and as such have only looked at 5e in white room theory. It's a cross between 4th and 3.x. Design wise it's a solid system, if relatively basic (not that that is inherently bad) and it's certainly better than the D20 Modern / Spycraft system used in the previous SG-1 game. It will be interesting to see how they adapt 5e to a SG-1 setting.
                        Kind of. I have no experience with older D&D at all, but from what I've heard from those who do, 5e is barely comparable to older editions. And despite the general consensus that WotC is still bad, those same people still say that they've redeemed themselves somewhat from the 4e debacle with 5e. People also seem to attribute the resurgence of RPGs, and D&D in particular, to developments like 5e.

From what I know about older D&D (through reading the old Stargate RPG and Star Wars Saga), and having bought the 5e core books, the latest edition is far easier to get into yet still powerful enough to run a proper game.

Comment

It's all Fenician to me...
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
                            Kind of. I have no experience with older D&D at all, but from what I've heard from those who do, 5e is barely comparable to older editions.
                            The closest would be 3.0 in terms of the general rules but character development is more akin to 4th in the way that class features develop. Skill wise, it's more like 2nd ed (not a feature I like TBH, I liked the skill system of 3.0/3.5)
                            It's really a mishmash of older D&D systems streamlined to work togeather.
                            And despite the general consensus that WotC is still bad, those same people still say that they've redeemed themselves somewhat from the 4e debacle with 5e. People also seem to attribute the resurgence of RPGs, and D&D in particular, to developments like 5e.
                            It's certainly ALOT better than 4th, that's for sure.
                            From what I know about older D&D (through reading the old Stargate RPG and Star Wars Saga), and having bought the 5e core books, the latest edition is far easier to get into yet still powerful enough to run a proper game.
                            I would agree with that, though I am not sure what you mean by "powerful" in this context.
                            sigpic

Comment

If you want to read the rules for 5th ed FH, PM me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                I would agree with that, though I am not sure what you mean by "powerful" in this context.
                                What I meant is that despite 5e being simpler in design, or rather lighter in rules and stats, than previous editions, it's still Dungeons & Dragons. It's not "hand-holdingly" simple or "dumbed down" to the point that there is no challenge or any complexity at all. But it's just easier to get into.

Comment

Working...
                                X