Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Stargate Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Why are they having their laptops out?
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Why are they having their laptops out?
    RPGs have evolved since printing out stacks of paper and writing on a notepad. Now you can even use your computer to look at your sheets, edit them, and take notes It's also still in development, so it's possible they are taking notes to quickly save and share them.
    Stargatepedia: The Unofficial Repository of Knowledge
    (Under construction, PM if you want to contribute)

The Multiverse - Discord server dedicated to (Tabletop) Roleplaying, primarily Stargate, Star Trek, and a collaborative world.

Ah, paperless gaming...

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

All that paper is what made gaming good.
    It's a basic connection between people.
    You might as well say don't bother going to Cons, you can watch them on youtube.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    All that paper is what made gaming good.
    It's a basic connection between people.
    You might as well say don't bother going to Cons, you can watch them on youtube.
    I may never have really played a RPG like D&D (or the likes) but I do know that paper is part of the charm (for me maybe) so I kinda agree here.

Purists....

Whatever can make sure people have fun is good enough in my book. My e-book that is

I'm very happy that roleplaying has a resurgence (largely thanks to Critical Role), but, while not aimed at any of you personally, in general I think there also still a huge part of it that excludes people. People argue that RPGs are meant to be played like this or that, that they can only be played socially with friends in person with paper, etc. These "purists" even constantly criticize Critical Role for not strictly following certain rules of D&D, despite Rule Zero stating that any rule should be broken for the sake of fun.

Not to mention whenever someone mentions they'd want to play an RPG solo (e.g. by themselves with no GM). "It's a social thing" they say. "You have to play with friends". Well, what if you don't have friends to play with? Then there are also people who think RPGs can only be played "in person", so virtual tabletops (Roll20 etc.) or Play-by-Post are chaotic evil to them.

Let people just have fun their way. Lemme tell you a little secret (only slightly off-topic): I use "cheats" in almost every (single-player) video game, as that's the only way for me to still have fun playing them, finish them, and prevent any expensive hardware from getting destroyed. They're games, not a chore or a job that I get paid for. I want fun and relaxation, not to have to work for it. Not everyone has fun in the same way...

The End...

...?

The Multiverse - Discord server dedicated to (Tabletop) Roleplaying, primarily Stargate, Star Trek, and a collaborative world.

Ohhhkayyy, this might be long.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEast View Post
    Purists....
    Not purist, just have experience that you have stated over and over again you do not have. RPG's, especially the social aspect, pretty much saved my life. You simply don't know how that works. You can guess, assume, pretend that you do, but you don't.
    Whatever can make sure people have fun is good enough in my book. My e-book that is
    Playing by skype is just as valid as sitting at the table, so don't try the tech dinosaur route with me. It's not the same, but it is the real, viseral interaction that gaming embraces.
    I'm very happy that roleplaying has a resurgence (largely thanks to Critical Role), but, while not aimed at any of you personally, in general I think there also still a huge part of it that excludes people. People argue that RPGs are meant to be played like this or that, that they can only be played socially with friends in person with paper, etc. These "purists" even constantly criticize Critical Role for not strictly following certain rules of D&D, despite Rule Zero stating that any rule should be broken for the sake of fun.
    Umm, I think you are confusing two points.
    Rule Zero is the DM can do what they want, and I have SERIOUSLY abused that rule over time. I've fudged rolls, I've changed the story, I've allowed players to do what they want if it makes sense within thier character or background and the rules be damned

Point 2
    Who is getting excluded?
    I started gaming with the Fighting Fantasy series of books (and Choose your own adventure). Both were and are exclusively solo play, and a valid form of gaming.
    BUT they are not interactive with others.
    They fire the imagination, they get you to think, but they are NOT RPG's.
    They are PERSONAL fun.
    Not to mention whenever someone mentions they'd want to play an RPG solo (e.g. by themselves with no GM). "It's a social thing" they say. "You have to play with friends". Well, what if you don't have friends to play with?
    That is an issue that has absoulutly NOTHING to do with the game. RPG'S ARE social. Would you play chess with yourself?
    Monoploly?
    Jenga?
    Then there are also people who think RPGs can only be played "in person", so virtual tabletops (Roll20 etc.) or Play-by-Post are chaotic evil to them.
    Perhaps the people who have actually played have some insight?
    What is yours?
    Let people just have fun their way. Lemme tell you a little secret (only slightly off-topic): I use "cheats" in almost every (single-player) video game, as that's the only way for me to still have fun playing them, finish them, and prevent any expensive hardware from getting destroyed.
    Ok, you cheat, even in single player games. you are not the person I would want to RP with.

They're games, not a chore or a job that I get paid for. I want fun and relaxation, not to have to work for it. Not everyone has fun in the same way...
    Please don't become an actual Role player. It requires work, but that work is fun, and if you don't see that, there is no hope for you.

Purists....

I call it authentic.

Anywho... anyone familiar with the Firefly boardgame... I mosy around on my own plenty of times on that thing. On the upside the Reavers or the other bad guys rarely make it towards my ship.

Edit: "the other bad guys" I was looking for are The Alliance.
    Last edited by Falcon Horus; December 4th, 2019 at 06:08 AM.

Ohhhkayyy, this might be long.

Not purist, just have experience that you have stated over and over again you do not have. RPG's, especially the social aspect, pretty much saved my life. You simply don't know how that works. You can guess, assume, pretend that you do, but you don't.

Playing by skype is just as valid as sitting at the table, so don't try the tech dinosaur route with me. It's not the same, but it is the real, viseral interaction that gaming embraces.

Umm, I think you are confusing two points.
    Rule Zero is the DM can do what they want, and I have SERIOUSLY abused that rule over time. I've fudged rolls, I've changed the story, I've allowed players to do what they want if it makes sense within thier character or background and the rules be damned

Point 2
    Who is getting excluded?
    I started gaming with the Fighting Fantasy series of books (and Choose your own adventure). Both were and are exclusively solo play, and a valid form of gaming.
    BUT they are not interactive with others.
    They fire the imagination, they get you to think, but they are NOT RPG's.
    They are PERSONAL fun.

That is an issue that has absoulutly NOTHING to do with the game. RPG'S ARE social. Would you play chess with yourself?
    Monoploly?
    Jenga?

Perhaps the people who have actually played have some insight?
    What is yours?

Ok, you cheat, even in single player games. you are not the person I would want to RP with.

Please don't become an actual Role player. It requires work, but that work is fun, and if you don't see that, there is no hope for you.
    Then I only have this to say: you just proved my point... And honestly, thanks for showing that you, too, are not someone I would want to play with either. You don't know me, you don't know what I do, I don't know you, and I don't know what you do. This is exactly what has put me off of trying to find a group to play with, and why I never play multiplayer games, and thank you for convincing me to stop looking.

PS: plenty of people play chess by themselves, and have you ever heard of Solitaire? And I also kindly direct you to this YouTube show "Me, Myself, and Die", which happens to be created by voice actor Trevor Devall (who voiced Kvasir and Hermiod on SG-1 and SGA).

Then I only have this to say: you just proved my point... And honestly, thanks for showing that you, too, are not someone I would want to play with either. You don't know me, you don't know what I do, I don't know you, and I don't know what you do. This is exactly what has put me off of trying to find a group to play with, and why I never play multiplayer games, and thank you for convincing me to stop looking.
    You don't know what you are missing.
    I'm being blunt, because frankly, you guys simply don't know what you are talking about.
    Look for that group, go to a comic book store, or a Games Workshop store, or any game related store and find that group.
    It can change your life, for the better.

PS: plenty of people play chess by themselves, and have you ever heard of Solitaire?
    Solitaire is a card game, not a board game, and it is specifically designed for solo play.
    Can you play chess solo?
    Yes.
    Does it teach you anything about how other people think?
    Nope.

You don't know what you are missing.
    I'm being blunt, because frankly, you guys simply don't know what you are talking about.
    Look for that group, go to a comic book store, or a Games Workshop store, or any game related store and find that group.
    It can change your life, for the better.

Solitaire is a card game, not a board game, and it is specifically designed for solo play.
    Can you play chess solo?
    Yes.
    Nope.
    I wasn't trying to be "blunt" before, but now I will be. Frankly, I don't care what I'm missing. Maybe it will be great. Maybe it will make my life "better". Or maybe not. I've got burned before. I've been bullied for over ten years, and it made me even more introverted and shy than I was before. No one ever wanted to do anything with me, and if I wanted to join a group I always had to do what they wanted, and no one ever wanted to do what I wanted. Stuff like Stargate helped to cope with that.

I also don't have to do something to understand how it works. And why do I have to play RPGs with a group to "understand how people think"? It's a roleplaying game, not a psychiatrist's office, or parliament. Maybe you do want to, but you don't speak for everyone.

Do I expect people to agree with me? No, not really. But I don't care about what people think, I only care about what I want. I've missed so many things in life. Do I wish I found a group of friends in high school to play RPGs with, like most other players? Yeah, definitely. But that didn't happen. My life didn't turn out like everyone else's. I did what I had to do to "survive", and that meant doing things on my own. Now I have grown into that and got used to it. Why should that prevent me from playing RPGs now? Even if I want to play them on my own? I've adapted before, and I'm adapting right now. With the skills I have now, I'm a Jack-of-all-Trades and can achieve a lot on my own. I'm programming software to do that right this minute, and as the interest for RPGs are growing, so is the solo RPG community.

I wasn't trying to be "blunt" before, but now I will be. Frankly, I don't care what I'm missing. Maybe it will be great. Maybe it will make my life "better". Or maybe not. I've got burned before.
    You think I haven't?
    Have some faith dude, it hurts sometimes, but it works.
    I've been bullied for over ten years, and it made me even more introverted and shy than I was before. No one ever wanted to do anything with me, and if I wanted to join a group I always had to do what they wanted, and no one ever wanted to do what I wanted. Stuff like Stargate helped to cope with that.
    Cool, I was not attacking that.
    I also don't have to do something to understand how it works. And why do I have to play RPGs with a group to "understand how people think"? It's a roleplaying game, not a psychiatrist's office, or parliament. Maybe you do want to, but you don't speak for everyone.
    No I don't speak for everyone, but I have played RPG's for 30 years. And do you know what, it IS like a shrinks office, we work out our differences, or our problems over the table. Gaming can change your life.
    Do I expect people to agree with me? No, not really. But I don't care about what people think, I only care about what I want.
    And that's the problem.
    I've missed so many things in life. Do I wish I found a group of friends in high school to play RPGs with, like most other players? Yeah, definitely. But that didn't happen. My life didn't turn out like everyone else's.
    Ahh, so you are "unique" are you?
    I did what I had to do to "survive", and that meant doing things on my own. Now I have grown into that and got used to it. Why should that prevent me from playing RPGs now? Even if I want to play them on my own? I've adapted before, and I'm adapting right now. With the skills I have now, I'm a Jack-of-all-Trades and can achieve a lot on my own. I'm programming software to do that right this minute, and as the interest for RPGs are growing, so is the solo RPG community.
    Survive away.
    Play with yourself all you want.

You think I haven't?
    Have some faith dude, it hurts sometimes, but it works.

Cool, I was not attacking that.

No I don't speak for everyone, but I have played RPG's for 30 years. And do you know what, it IS like a shrinks office, we work out our differences, or our problems over the table. Gaming can change your life.

And that's the problem.

Ahh, so you are "unique" are you?

Survive away.
    Play with yourself all you want.
    The only thing I can gather about this is that I'm being judged by someone who thinks he's better than me at certain things, just because he has been playing for 30 years. Which in my eyes proves my point about "purists" who think that something can only be done their way and when someone comes in with a different way, they shoot them down and discourage them to try, and instead "encourage" them to "try" it their way. It also proves my point about being burned before. Is this what you really mean? I don't know. I can only infer what you mean based on your words, and those words seem to be judging me.

Before this goes too far and the mods have to jump in, and before I'll feel miserable, I will leave this topic alone. The longer this goes on, the more miserable I'll feel. So, sorry if I offended you in some way, I never meant to, but this is going nowhere.

The only thing I can gather about this is that I'm being judged by someone who thinks he's better than me at certain things, just because he has been playing for 30 years.
    1: You are not being "judged"
    2: Umm, yes I know more about RPG's than you do
    That's not arrogance or trying to put you down, it's a simple fact. I started playing games with 2nd ed D&D and the basic red box and I have been playing, or running games since.
    Which in my eyes proves my point about "purists" who think that something can only be done their way and when someone comes in with a different way, they shoot them down and discourage them to try, and instead "encourage" them to "try" it their way.
    If you can run a online game, go for it. It's not about it being "my way" at all.
    please try, because gaming can change your life.
    It also proves my point about being burned before. Is this what you really mean? I don't know. I can only infer what you mean based on your words, and those words seem to be judging me.
    Again, I am not judging you in the slightest.
    I have played games, you have not, so take that into account.
    Before this goes too far and the mods have to jump in, and before I'll feel miserable, I will leave this topic alone. The longer this goes on, the more miserable I'll feel. So, sorry if I offended you in some way, I never meant to, but this is going nowhere.
    You have not offended me, nor was my intent to make you feel miserable. In fact, I like talking to you.

You have not offended me, nor was my intent to make you feel miserable. In fact, I like talking to you.
    Okay. It's just that the "words" came across that away, and I guess it had that kind of impact on me that made it feel personal, and close to being a personal "attack". I'm sorry I vented, and I'm grateful you at least "tolerated" that. In which case I hope this hasn't ruined too much on your end .

Can you play chess solo?
    Yes.
    Nope.
    Nor does it teach me how I think apparently... I can't get it to work.

Okay. It's just that the "words" came across that away, and I guess it had that kind of impact on me that made it feel personal, and close to being a personal "attack". I'm sorry I vented, and I'm grateful you at least "tolerated" that. In which case I hope this hasn't ruined too much on your end .
    Dude, I am harsh, with people and opinions, does not mean I love you guys any less.
    Vent all you want, that's human nature, but understand that what you have looked at, at a distance, I have done for years.
    It gives me some insight, don't throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Nor does it teach me how I think apparently... I can't get it to work.
    Your brain?
    It works fine FH.
    You just like different stuff, and that is perfectly fine.

Your brain?
    It works fine FH.
    You just like different stuff, and that is perfectly fine.
    My brain is like the Escher Vault from Warehouse 13.