Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    (splat book definition for non gamers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook )
    It's a book, that goes splat...

And thanks for the link cause y'all are talking chinese as far as I am concerned so my tip to Wyvern: I have never played an RPG before so I wouldn't know where to start and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's never picked up a roleplay before so don't make it overly complicated to start with. Add a beginnersguide (for dummies) or something.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      It's a book, that goes splat...

And thanks for the link cause y'all are talking chinese as far as I am concerned so my tip to Wyvern: I have never played an RPG before so I wouldn't know where to start and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's never picked up a roleplay before so don't make it overly complicated to start with. Add a beginnersguide (for dummies) or something.
      You have an imagination, you are far better off than a lot of players back in the 80's.
      Basic rules are not a bad idea however.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I am a true pacifist, so I hate weapon and violence. But as Methos from the Highlander said "just because I don't like fighting, it doesn't mean I can't ". I have suggested the armory as most of us (non Americans) have never seen a close-up photo or drawing about those weapons which were used in the SG-1.

FH: RPG is like an interactive fan fiction, where instead of bunch of Mary Sues, everybody follows a rulebook what and how they should react in a situation. So if you choose a warrior class then you won't use spells, while a wizard won't run into the battle if he can cast a spell. And then the story is created, evolved, enjoyed by the GM and the players together. It is not just about throwing dices and killing monsters. There are so many settings, RPG systems that you can easily find that one what you like.

But back to Stargate. I really hope the civil side of SGC will be supported as well. Stargate can tell so many non- combat scenarios in so many technological or historical eras (ancient, medieval, i dustrial, futuristic). It really depends how the GM tells the story and if he can motivate and surprise the team with unusual twists.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Being "Civil" has -always- been part of RPG's, what it has not been is incentivised in many of the major systems in the past. (look at most games XP systems)
          Also, Combat is probably the most complex part of any rules set because of the variables involved. I get where you are coming from, but it's an "end user" Point of view, not a design one.
          Last edited by Gatefan1976; 28 June 2019, 10:39 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Okay, I am just a little RPG gamer so I am sorry if I have sounded dumb. You have more experience as you can compare more systems what you have played. I like the civil side of a party, but it really depends on the GM, the story and the attitude of the other players. If everybody wants to shoot hostile Jaffas and kull warriors then it is fine, just it would be nice to see opportunity to shine for non-warrior characters in a combat situation.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              Okay, I am just a little RPG gamer so I am sorry if I have sounded dumb. You have more experience as you can compare more systems what you have played. I like the civil side of a party, but it really depends on the GM, the story and the attitude of the other players. If everybody wants to shoot hostile Jaffas and kull warriors then it is fine, just it would be nice to see opportunity to shine for non-warrior characters in a combat situation.
              You are absolutely right, it depends on the GM.
              HOWEVER
              Most games systems, at least back in the past gave you XP NOT for being civil, but for "defeating enemies".
              To get what you want, you need to have a system that allows combat to not dominate the experience system.
              sigpic

Comment

Great feedback everyone. We really appricate it. In Stargate we can go several episodes without combat so there will definitely be support for diplomatic solutions. We're even considering implementing a demerit system, at the discretion of the GM, if a character shoots first and asks questions later. The opposite should be encouraged.

The experience will be rewarded by resolving the situation, either by one means or the other. However, a peaceful solution is always preferred.

We're going to try to strike a good balance.

Comment

Thanks. I hope you don't mind. We just thinking loudly how could you pleass everyone.

I really would like to see realistic options for non-warriors in a combat situations (like solving puzzles, hacking, raising shields, giving out Jaffa command orders, cloaking, placing bombs, traps, giving aid, mass healing etc.). While it could be interesting to see warrior type heroes in non-combat situation, where they have to use their oure logic and survival instinct without using any weapon. I am guessing you have to stick what was showed on the tv shows, so random new heroes won't run around with alien tech (like Tollan, Asgard tech.)

Is there any chance that you can use some parts of the unfinished Stargate : Worlds game? There were nice concept arts and maybe some of those could be re-used in the RPG (like different Jaffa Guard helmets, zats, staff weapons etc.) if MGM still has got the rights of them.

The live action shows never had the chance to show so many things (for example how the SGC levels look like in the Cheyenne Mountain, the other teams etc.). Such little details can make the story more believable.

Comment

Wyvern's new cover photo on Facebook. An Unas!! :O

65392342_2087268204735368_985048782242578432_o.jpg
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

FH: RPG is like an interactive fan fiction, where instead of bunch of Mary Sues, everybody follows a rulebook what and how they should react in a situation. So if you choose a warrior class then you won't use spells, while a wizard won't run into the battle if he can cast a spell. And then the story is created, evolved, enjoyed by the GM and the players together. It is not just about throwing dices and killing monsters. There are so many settings, RPG systems that you can easily find that one what you like.
                      Thanks.

I really would like to see realistic options for non-warriors in a combat situations (like solving puzzles, hacking, raising shields, giving out Jaffa command orders, cloaking, placing bombs, traps, giving aid, mass healing etc.). While it could be interesting to see warrior type heroes in non-combat situation, where they have to use their oure logic and survival instinct without using any weapon. I am guessing you have to stick what was showed on the tv shows, so random new heroes won't run around with alien tech (like Tollan, Asgard tech.)
                      And now I want an Escape Room game, Stargate themed.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                        Wyvern's new cover photo on Facebook. An Unas!! :O

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42952[/ATTACH]
                        It looks so cool. A Cronoss Jaffa, then a Vala type Goa'uld, Falcon Horus, a Nox, Indiana Jones and an Unas. Nice team composition.

I have seen a short promo video on the GW's FaceBook page regarding the Wyvern RPG, but it was never published on the main page. Maybe Darren will show it within a few days.

Honestly I have expected a slightly bigger buzz here. I can see that GW is almost dead or the long time fans can hardly talk about new things in SG threads, just it would be nice to hear more opinions and suggestions.

I really would like to see more Jaffa Guards, alien races, mythology related artifacts and races, weird planet landscapes in the RPG as illustrations. Such art work could create lots of new fan fictions, so the fandom can be pleased.
                        Last edited by Platschu; 01 July 2019, 02:56 AM.

Comment

It looks so cool. A Cronoss Jaffa, then a Vala type Goa'uld, Falcon Horus, a Nox, Indiana Jones and an Unas. Nice team composition.
                          If I can get a character named after myself, I'll definitely be playing this game.

Comment

Of course you can name your own character.

Like. You can play whatever you want.

: FH is playing a naquadah reactor :

Okay, you can play whatever can move.

: FH is playing the MALP of the team :

You can play any living thing you want.

: FH is playing the RepliFalconHorus :

You can play any really living person you want.

: FH is playing the AscendedFalconHorus :

GM gives up.

: FH is playing herself as the AscendedReplicatorFalconHorus with a Wraith-Unas love child host with a Tok'ra symbiote as a Lucian Alliance agent :

GM cries.

The End

Last edited by Platschu; 01 July 2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

It's not a Nox.

We've been working with MGM closely on this. We originally wanted the Nox to be a playable character but the story group felt it would be too over powered. So we've developed a new never before seen race known as the Atruen. I can't say too much yet, but they were essentially nurtured by the Nox.

Comment

Oh yeah, you mentioned it on the previous page. Thanks for the exclusive confirmation of the new Atruen race.

Here I was brainstorming my own, mainly mythology based races and new gate related technologies and how I would continue the franchise :
                                https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...galaxy-in-2020

11. Random idea - "Nymph"
                                I could imagine them in the SG world as such chosen people who were educated by the Nox. They were like an "anti-Goa'uld Systemlords", who were also guarding different worlds in the galaxy. The studied the laws of nature. They were protecting the local animals and plants. So it would be nice to introduce a peaceful advanced human group as "Nymphs" who could be like the Priors of the Nox. Like space druids. Different skills, different motivations. Most of them were wiped out by the Goa'uld, so only a few have remained on secret and hidden worlds. The peaceful Nox also couldn't find any other solution to the galaxy wide aggression that they started to hide the non-human worlds and races from the human worlds when Ra was rising up his dynasty. This way we could introduce an interesting chapter of the past of our galaxy, while we could connect it to the current situations. Maybe one of our main hero could get a "membership" in time as a character development. Some nymphys could be friendly, some of them could be really aggressive. Most of them would be passive and over-protective. Some of them could be living underwater / underice worlds (like nereids) from the mythology. They could even play an ambassador type characters in communication between humans / Jaffas and non humans.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph
                                Since I wanted to focus on bio hazards and environment protection related scifi stories, even the main bad guys could be some kind of "eco terrorist", like a very strict, deadly version of Green Peace in space. It could change the status quo.

But anyway I hope we can hear more and more details from the story. I always wanted to see more mythology based races in Stargate, so maybe some of them are extinct now, maybe some of them are still hiding on planets. I don't know how much new elements are you allowed to introduce if your license is about SG-1 and you said the story setting is in late season 5-7.

You have also said the last one is not an Unas, so can you confirm it? How many playable races do you plan? Will there be any offworld human "races"? Like Kelownians? Serrakins? Abydonians?

If there is no class system, will you introduce some kind of skill tree?
                                Last edited by Platschu; 01 July 2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X