Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The list of AD&D campaings and setting is shocking :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeo...paign_settings

But back to the Stargate. it can be challenging to tell such stories if everything is concentrated around the portal. I mean if the team is visiting a new world, then in spite of every actions, adventure, escape, outbreak, so basically whatever they will end up that they can leave (hopefully alive... ) the world only through the Stargate. I know the device is literally a plot device to bring a team from A to B, so the main events will happen on the planet and not necessarily around the gate.

For example a war scenario in the galaxy. You know the hostile groups were fighting for every corner in the space, like there would be a real 3D battlefield. But in the world of Stargate, can we talk about "real" domains? They have tried to introduce different Systemlord controlled territories, but basically everybody can dial everyone in the system if they know the planets' coordinates. So this information would be essential for any major galactic player. SGC was lucky as they could get their hands on Goa'uld, Asgard and Ancient databases, while their lack of DHD made them an unique part of the network too.

So my question is, whether the new SG RPG will introduce space ships? Or every season will be a different "setting"? A good GM can tell an exciting story without spaceships, so the usage of the Stargate won't be repetative in the stories as long as they are told well.
    Last edited by Platschu; 22 June 2019, 11:53 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Spaceships are now an inherent part of SG, you cannot escape them.
      What matters is how you deal with them.
      Is it just the Daedulus?
      Or are there more?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Hi all! Found you guys talking about Stargate Roleplaying Game and thought I'd shed some light on your discussion.

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
        My only problem is that they are following the MALP without hesitation while Chevron 8 and 9 are glowing as well, but they can be hardly noticed.
        mooseman and Elite Anubis Guard are right... its a F.R.E.D.

Platschu, you caught something we totally missed... Chevron 8 and 9 certainly should not be on unless we're going somewhere crazy! I'm having our artist correct this. GREAT CATCH!

Will the new RPG accept the "stories" from the Alderac RPG? Or will they re-write everything? So what if they name the races or planets differently? Will they make other Goa'uld dynasties etc.?
        We are going to do our very best to preserve "stories" from the the Alderac RPG. We want as much continutity as we can while still making it fit in what we're doing. So far we haven't run across anything we can't just build on top.

I like the cover art, but why would a Nox join the SGC? It is a bit weird, but not impossible in an RPG / fan fiction.
        It's not a Nox.
        We didn't want use any of the great races as playable characters, as this would be OP. The second character walking into the gate is a new race we've been working in conjunction with MGM to create just for this game. More about them later...

We also have a good story as to why we have SG teams with non-humans that makes the RPG fit in the same timeline as SG-1. We're not creating an Alternate Universe from the SG-1 TV series. You will be playing along the same events that occur in the show. I don't want to say exactly where the story starts in our RPG, but it is after the final death of Apophis, but before Atlantis.

So my question is, whether the new SG RPG will introduce space ships? Or every season will be a different "setting"? A good GM can tell an exciting story without spaceships, so the usage of the Stargate won't be repetative in the stories as long as they are told well.
        Our intial core rulebook won't have true spaceships. We'll address Death Gliders, but we'll be saving the big ships for a later book. We will also be releasing official SGC Missions that will tell the overall story for the setting, but of course you can also run the game in a homebrew where you take the story anywhere you like.

Hope this answered some of your questions. If you have others, feel free to ask. We are still in development so, I'll share what I can.

Thanks!

Comment

A dev is as probie??
          ROFLMAO!!

Congrat's, you found the fans, treat us well and we will give you all you want.
          Be kind, we are a bit beaten up right now.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WyvernGaming View Post
            ...it is after the final death of Apophis...
            Are you sure it's final?

I mean, even O'Neill says he's only 99.99% sure.

Look forward to seeing more artwork... not so much a RPG gamer.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Wow. Welcome and thank you for joining us. It is a nice surprise to see someone here from the official developers. I believe I can say in everyone's name that we can help you with fresh ideas, honest criticism if you need any feedback from us directly.

Here are a few questions:
              1. How many people are working on the devopment team? Have they studied the Alderan SG RPG system to learn what was and wasn't working? How much have they digged themselves into the official lore? Is there any creative limitation what MGM can or can't authorize for the writers? Are you in connection any of the original writers of the show?
              2. Are you planning to include some events of the extended (uncanon) Stargate merchanide products? So is there any chance to see races, planets from the Stargate : Infinity or the SG-1 novels or the unfinished SG games? I know these belong to different companies, so probably it will never happen, but a GM can easily involve them "unofficially". An RPG game would be a great way to combine the fragments of the franchise.
              3. Will your RPG cover SG-1 from season 1-6 until the introduction of the Prometheus? Can we expect later settings (Replicator war, Ori crusade, Atlantis exploration, Destiny, Wraith civil war expansion)?
              4. Can we expect race centric books? Lots of us would be happy to see maybe a Wraith or an Unas book... But I am guessing it depends whether the Stargate:Atlantis will be part of your rulebook or not.
              5. What type of system are you developing for the new SG RPG? Which current sytem is the closest to your plans?
              6. Will the system support such adventurers who are on the opposite, non-SGC side (like a Goa'uld, a Jaffa or any off-world citizen)?

Sorry for the lots of questions, I hope you can answer a few for us.
              Last edited by Platschu; 25 June 2019, 05:18 AM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Wow. Welcome and thank you for joining us. It is a nice surprise to see someone here from the official developers. I believe I can say in everyone's name that we can help you with fresh ideas, honest criticism if you need any feedback from us directly.
                It is our pleasure! It is very important to us to get the community input for the project. We were at Gateway this past weekend and we got to meet a ton of fans. Everyone was great!

1. How many people are working on the devopment team? Have they studied the Alderan SG RPG system to learn what was and wasn't working? How much have they digged themselves into the official lore? Is there any creative limitation what MGM can or can't authorize for the writers? Are you in connection any of the original writers of the show?
                The number on our development team is growing on a regular basis. Once we announced we got flooded with folks wanting to help. We also have some "head honchos" in the official lore consulting on the project. If I said who they are, you'd know immediately we were in good hands.

We have certainly gone through the AEG version of the RPG pretty in deepth, but I'd like to hear from this group what they liked and didn't like about that system. Please let us know!

2. Are you planning to include some events of the extended (uncanon) Stargate merchanide products? So is there any chance to see races, planets from the Stargate : Infinity or the SG-1 novels or the unfinished SG games? I know these belong to different companies, so probably it will never happen, but a GM can easily involve them "unofficially". An RPG game would be a great way to combine the fragments of the franchise.
                3. Will your RPG cover SG-1 from season 1-6 until the introduction of the Prometheus? Can we expect later settings (Replicator war, Ori crusade, Atlantis exploration, Destiny, Wraith civil war expansion)?
                Our license with MGM is currently for the SG-1 TV Series. So the content will be focusing there. However, assuming success we'll very certainly look to expand into the other properities as soon as possible.

4. Can we expect race centric books? Lots of us would be happy to see maybe a Wraith or an Unas book... But I am guessing it depends whether the Stargate:Atlantis will be part of your rulebook or not.
                It is entirely possible, but again it will depend on the success of the core rulebook how many expansions we will do.

5. What type of system are you developing for the new SG RPG? Which current sytem is the closest to your plans?
                We started the project building off the D&D 5th Edition Open Gaming License, but we've stripped out the fantasy and added what is needed for modern warfare. We are also playing around with a class-less character build. This is all heavy in the playtest stage at the momment. We hope to coalesce on the system by October.

6. Will the system support such adventurers who are on the opposite, non-SGC side (like a Goa'uld, a Jaffa or any off-world citizen)?
                We don't have the Goa'uld as a playable race, but there is no reason why you couldn't adapt a Tok'ra pretty easily. Jaffa and Humans are playable races, so in a home campaign, I don't see why not. We will have an official Stargate Missions campaign path, but it will focus on being the heroes rather than villians.

Let me ask you guys a question...
                What elements of a Stargate RPG do you feel are critical in making it to your table to play with your friends?

Thanks
                Brad
                stargatetherpg.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. It feels like I was doign an interview with you, Brad. You are almost Brad Wright.

I have never played the AEG version as I haven't played live action RPG for years. I have enjoyed that book as it has really given informations regarding season 1 and 2 and the Goa'uld. So I hope you will continue their efforts as I have always considered the AEG like a collection of fan fiction. I have never liked when a race or a planet was not named in the tv show, so these new half-official informations were the biggest adventage of the RPG books. I know that they are not "canon", but at least we could refer to events and races with something.

Will you have an army consultant in your team? It is an interesting question as the world of Stargate is heavily focused on the US Army. So the characters should know their limitations, maybe some rules what they can or can't do. Are you planning to involve non-human races? What will happen with other nations (Russians, Chinese)? NID agents? FBI agents? Etc.

How many playeable races can we expect? Can you tell us anything about the classes (like medic, scientist etc.)? Will technology replace the "magic" part of the classis wizards and priests?

The combat system is also challenging in an RPG since the characters use weapons. So how can you balance a pistol, a PG90, a zat or a staff weapon? How can you describe accurance, the firepower, the damage? Will the objects, weather, distance, eyesight, the number of opponents or anything else influence the effectiveness? The fight conditions will be really critical in the SG RPG and I hope you will establish a good and a believable system for it.
                  Last edited by Platschu; 25 June 2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Will you have an army consultant in your team? It is an interesting question as the world of Stargate is heavily focused on the US Army. So the characters should know their limitations, maybe some rules what they can or can't do. Are you planning to involve non-human races? What will happen with other nations (Russians, Chinese)? NID agents? FBI agents? Etc.
                    We don't have any US Airforce consultants on our team, but we'll just follow the lead of the show in that regard.

How many playeable races can we expect? Can you tell us anything about the classes (like medic, scientist etc.)? Will technology replace the "magic" part of the classis wizards and priests?
                    We're still in development on the races, so this is subject to change, but currently we have: Soldier, Diplomat, Medic, Scout, Engineer, and Scientist. Also, as I mentioned earlier we're also playing with the mechanic of a classless system, but even then we'd have "talent" trees that would resemble the classes as stated.

The combat system is also challenging in an RPG since the characters use weapons. So how can you balance a pistol, a PG90, a zat or a staff weapon? How can you describe accurance, the firepower, the damage? Will the objects, weather, distance, eyesight, the number of opponents or anything else influence the effectiveness? The fight conditions will be really critical in the SG RPG and I hope you will establish a good and a believable system for it.
                    I can't say too much on this at this time. Weapons are the hardest part about a modern RPG. You want them to feel realistic but at the same time you don't want insta-death for the characters. It is a tricky balance.

Thanks
                    Brad
                    stargateTheRPG.com

Comment

What elements of a Stargate RPG do you feel are critical in making it to your table to play with your friends?
                      Friends ... who know Stargate...

I have the first (would be sad if I didn't) but not the latter.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

If you are looking for inspiration for good modern weapons systems I highly recommend the old Victory games System For James Bond as worth a look.
                        Other good ones are Call of Cthulhu 3rd ed (the old D100 once, not the newer D20 one and Cyberpunk 2020 (The old R talsorian one.)
                        Twilight 2000 is ok, but gets horribly complex with it's phase system for combat.
                        All of them are fairly lethal, but that's the way modern weapons are.
                        Bond however as a system has the most cinematic feel however.

Here you go: http://www.epicwords.com/attachments/15308
                        Last edited by Gatefan1976; 26 June 2019, 08:53 AM. Reason: add link
                        sigpic

Comment

The number on our development team is growing on a regular basis. Once we announced we got flooded with folks wanting to help. We also have some "head honchos" in the official lore consulting on the project. If I said who they are, you'd know immediately we were in good hands.

We have certainly gone through the AEG version of the RPG pretty in deepth, but I'd like to hear from this group what they liked and didn't like about that system. Please let us know!
                          I had a chance to read the core rulebook the other night (love Scrib'ed) and in rule functionality, it has more in common with D20 Star Wars than 5th (or 4th) Ed D&D.
                          Things I like in it:
                          1: D20 is pretty intuitive as a rule, it's essentially a scaled down D100 system and is probably one of the most easily familiar systems to "modern" Pen and paper gaming fans, especially the DC check being the main core mechanic of every action.

2: The differentiation between "wounds" and "vitality", meaning that while PC's and NPC's can be incredibly resilient by virtue of have huge Vitality numbers, actually getting wounded by critical hits or unavoidable environmental damage remains an actual threat, regardless of Level / Encounter difficulty.

3: The Race/class subsystem is..... interesting. I think it needs a certain degree of work as on initial reading it seems rather haphazard, yet actually has a pretty broad and open ended logic to it.

4: the skill system is good, but as a pretty much direct lift from D&D 3.0/3.5 (and the spate of D20 systems that came soon after due to the OGL), that's no surprise.

Things I don't like are:
                          1: The classes are too niche for such an open ended system, especially in the Class/cross class skill pool. Yes cross class has no penalties but it seems an entirely artificial limit in the modern world.

2: feats for getting equipment.
                          This one -really- sucks as it uses level dependant consumables on gear. In fact, I find the whole gear pack system entirely stupid and a waste of time. "standard adventurer pack A" was a joke among gamers, having it as a actual mechanic?

3: the feat tree's
                          These just seem wrong. It could be my own issue with the in Rulebook formatting of them (god knows 3.5 had them, and they grew with every splat book), however it really struck me on how bad they were, especially the unarmed combat ones.

My overall take-away is that AEG built on a combined version of D&D 3.0/3.5 and Star Wars D20 and made stupid design changes for the sake of "being different", rather than any additional NEED for there to be different mechanics. There are good Idea's in there, but the system seems far more clunky than it needs to be (3 pages of dealing with computer systems and viruses? come on guys, that's un-needed)
                          You cannot create a better system by simply adding more complexity that is not needed, that's what the GM is there for, and a good GM does not need 3 pages of examples on a single skill to determine ad hoc modifications, something both D&D and SW covered amply well in the respective GM sections of their books, and what this system is based on.

Thanks
                          Brad
                          stargatetherpg.com
                          I'm not sure what you want here. The idea of any game is to immerse yourself in the "spirit" of the source material, and as such, if it FEELS like SG-1, it will come across that way, no matter the actual rules behind it. You could run a SG-1 game on just Skill, Stamina and Luck based on the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and it not detract from the STORY, or you could run it on something as complex a Bushido or role master.
                          Story is what matters, and if you can deliver THAT, gamers are pretty darn forgiving.
                          So, does SYSTEM matter, which I think is where you are going here to a degree. Well, yes, it does, but only as a vehicle to tell stories.
                          Complication for the sake of "uniqueness" is bad, Complication for storytelling is actually quite good.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have asked about the army consultant as most of us don't know anything about how the AirForce or Navy works. Since the Stagate is heavily based on this military environment, maybe it would be wise to "talk" about the army ranks, command chain, different part of the organization, military slang, abbreviations etc.

Stargate is not about fighting. I mean not just about fighting, so I hope you can balance out the non-soldier characters too. Even a medical doctor, any science, computer, history, language expert can have useful skills for a party. So I hope you will give them opportunity to shine (like hacking doors, jamming signals, raising shields, translating signs etc.)

I know how the combat system will look like, but I let you suprise us. Here are no sword fights (except for Mitchell ), so it must be challenging how to desribe modern walfare.

GateFan is right about that still the stories, the adventure are the most important if it makes you feel you part of the Stargate world. When I was a GM, I didn't mind if the party sit next to a table and they are doing anything useful as long as they are true to the characters. Since you are developing Stargate RPG, every planet can have different fun and surprise. Just other, bigger RPG worlds have got one planet with continents and detailed lore, while Stargate has got "fragment lore". Most of the actions have happened around the gate, then the heroes returned after saving the day. What I wanted to say whatever stories you are planning to tell, we have to keep in mind that not every planet can dial every planet as they simply won't know the coordinates. And even an adventure can be played on multiplied planets (locations). It would be nice to introduce such events in the game setting when something is going in the background but it can affect lots of planets (like Goa'uld systemrlords civil war or war between isolated worlds in space and through the stargate network etc.)

If I am completly honest with you gaters, I am the most excited about these little mini-fanfictions in your future RPG book. Where only one paragraph of story can initiate new ideas, new adventures for the future heroes. It will be good to see official missions as it will feel like we are "replaying" them. But I also hope the writers can give us tiny little details here and there which can extend the lore. That is the reason I have asked if you could keep the already established season 1-2-(3) informations from the AEG game / books / novels etc. You know when you hear such background informations which were not directly in the live action tv shows, but it can greatly extend the official canon. And an SG RPG would be a great way to merge these little pieces.

It would be nice if the RPG book would have an armory section, which describes the weapons. If you could introduce the stargate and DHD, so the readers could study these objects. Talking about objects, maybe the book should have an official item lists (like technologies, artifacts) from the show, while you could add many-many new elements.
                            Last edited by Platschu; 27 June 2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I don't know if your really NEED that much of an armoury section in the game. I mean, you don't really see a great variety of weaponry in SG-1. P-90's, pistols (probably browning HP's) the occasional shotgun, SMG and LMG's and then the Goa'uld/Jaffa weapons.

I think you would get more mileage out of an Armoury and Artifacts book as a stand alone splat book than needing them in the core rules.
                              (splat book definition for non gamers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook )
                              For good source material for the earth weapons if you are interested, Twilight 2000 has a great collection of semi-modern weapons in it's armoury guides

One example: https://kupdf.net/download/twilight-...f20a0a9ff1_pdf
                              Last edited by Gatefan1976; 27 June 2019, 10:11 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh, Platschu, if you want to talk military stuff, ask Magi877, he's an Ex Military man.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X