Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/...etop-rpg-2020/

The rulebook covers looks promising as a Nox and an Unas is walking through the gate as part of an SG team. Interesting.
    https://www.gateworld.net/wp-content...e-rulebook.jpg
    My only problem is that they are following the MALP without hesitation while Chevron 8 and 9 are glowing as well, but they can be hardly noticed.

We will see what they will show us in August! I can only hope they won't waste the license which must have been cheap if a seemingly unknown and small company could pay for it. I have to admit that the MGM has caused a surprise, but at least it shows that they haven't given up on their brand. Yet.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Wyvern Gaming will organize a kickstarter, just like American Mythology did for the comics.

I'm not a tabletop RP gamer so this is basically wasted on me.
    Come back when it's a boardgame like the Firefly boardgame, or an actual first person shooter, or even a MMORPG online (no mobile games).

Was the earlier version of the Stargate RPG ever a hit?
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am guessing it wasn't a great success or they would have published more books. I have liked the Alderac SG RPG for the little fan fictions and small informations. I know that they were not part of the canon, but I could accept them as the Stargate : Infinity, like an AU version of our main timeline. The Goa'uld handbook was definately a good read as well for any Goa'uld fans. The S1 and S2 were interesting as they have extended the existing episodes with lots of background informations (name of the planets, name of the races). I have never tried the RPG part of it, so I can't judge their system.

It will be interesting how they want to integrate SG-1 into this new RPG. I mean which era, which season. With ships? Without ships? Before the introduction of the Prometheus? Before the fall of the Goa'uld or even after it as well? Ori? Atlantis? Destiny?

And almost every action happens near or at the Stargate since that is the only way to arrive and to leave a planet, so it must be challenging to write such adventure moduls for an adventurer team which won't be recurring.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

To be fair to the older RPG, they did publish a core book and 3 additional supplement books so it can't have been that big a failure.

I'm not much of an RPGer myself, but I have interest in the format. I've mostly never played any because they're all fantasy related and I really don't like wizards and orcs and etc.

There's an Alien one due out this year and that is right up my alley. So is this game. Even if I don't find people to play with - and in this day and age of Discord and Roll20 - the lore included in the core books is usually interesting enough. I've got the old Alderac ones just for their interpretation of the lore and their world.

I'll be backing this one.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
          To be fair to the older RPG, they did publish a core book and 3 additional supplement books so it can't have been that big a failure.
          Considering the "limited" (in the grand scheme of geekdom) audience for RPG -- even with Critical Role out there -- I don't think failure is ever true for these things.

My D&D edition can be played solo. Nevertheless, I'm not a RP gamer and since my D&D box has only been opened once in all the time that I've had it -- several years now -- I'll wait until someone comes with a boardgame. I wouldn't mind a Monopoly Stargate edition, or something similar as the Firefly boardgame.

Comment

It's a shame the Stargate TCG died a death. That was a super fun tabletop game that captured the spirit of the show IMHO.
            sigpic

Comment

Never heard of it but here's a blog --> Stargate Trading Card Game blog <-- if you are like me and never heard of it before.

Also amused that while it was never made, the promo cards for the Atlantis set had a Kate Heightmeyer card. Now I want that.

Comment

Oh, it was super fun! I took part in the online beta but went physical when the game was actually published. I've got complete collections of the first 2 sets, but am missing the starter deck exclusive cards and some promos from the 3rd set. The singles are what I tend to get the actors to sign at conventions.

The Heightmeyer card did actually get made as one of those promos for the 3rd set! Some of the promos tended to be previews of cards coming in the next set (while others were alternate art for ones from the current set). Heightmeyer is actually one of the ones I have from set 3!
                sigpic

Comment

I only have the autograph cards and stuff.

Still don't know what to do with them. Except the autograph cards obviously, those two are in a prominent place (Cadman & Heightmeyer).

Comment

My only problem is that they are following the MALP without hesitation...
                    Could be one of those equipment carriers they used occasionally.

Comment

Yeah, a FRED rather than MALP.
                      sigpic

Comment

Will the new RPG accept the "stories" from the Alderac RPG? Or will they re-write everything? So what if they name the races or planets differently? Will they make other Goa'uld dynasties etc.?

It could be interesting to see the Stargate : Infinity races here in the RPG as well, so we would have more variety in the Milky Way, while it could connect the whole SG franchise into a new system.

But I would be happier to see an Atlantis book for the existing Alderac system. And later they could make a Wraith handbook... But I am just dreaming.

Comment

Ask Wyvern online on twitter. I think they may answer your questions.

Comment

I don't use Twitter. I am too old. Maybe I shoud join so I could reach Brad Wright.

I was asking the question seriously. I know the RPG's lore is not part of the canon, but if they make a new RPG, doesn't it mean they will re-write even those informations? Like the uncanon of uncanon?

A new RPG could be nice the merge the different segments of the SG franchise (like mentioning the events of books, computer games etc.), but I know it will never happen as the rights belongs to here and there. Even the races of the Stargate : Infinity could be introduced as NPCs.

I like the cover art, but why would a Nox join the SGC? It is a bit weird, but not impossible in an RPG / fan fiction.
                            Last edited by Platschu; 16 June 2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              I don't use Twitter. I am too old. Maybe I shoud join so I could reach Brad Wright.

I was asking the question seriously. I know the RPG's lore is not part of the canon, but if they make a new RPG, doesn't it mean they will re-write even those informations? Like the uncanon of uncanon?

A new RPG could be nice the merge the different segments of the SG franchise (like mentioning the events of books, computer games etc.), but I know it will never happen as the rights belongs to here and there. Even the races of the Stargate : Infinity could be introduced as NPCs.

I like the cover art, but why would a Nox join the SGC? It is a bit weird, but not impossible in an RPG / fan fiction.
                              If the information or stories are good, chances are they will retain it. Happens all the time in RPG's that swap publishers/developers. World of Darkness kept -a lot- when they changed hands from WW, as did SW when it went from West End, to WOTC, to Fantasy Flight.
                              What you might find is some kind of time shift however.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X