Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
    As you've said so yourself, they've already changed parts of it. They use 5e as a base, doesn't mean it will be identical. So while you may be able to get a rough idea, that doesn't mean you can judge the game accurately at this moment.
    Indeed, but it gives me a mechanical framework which simply will not change. The math, while used for different things will still be the same. I'm not judging the end product, just the mathematics behind it.
    MGM licenses the Stargate IP. While they likely have some input in regards to story material, making sure it's "canon" for how much they care, I'm 100% certain they have no influence on the actual development. Wyvern chose to make a Stargate RPG, and they chose to use 5e (though you are right about the reason they chose it, because they feel it's the most accessible).
    I can't judge the story, in fact, given that I haven't played published module's for a very long time and use homebrew adventures, I would actually be bad at dealing with that notion. I would say however, don't look to published modules to create "canon". RPG's are simply not about making canon, they are about playing in a sandbox where your hero's can shape the world(s) in any way they want. Designers can make "canon" modules, but they are the most basic form of gaming.

No, but that doesn't mean I won't be able to review the game. Perhaps I will be able to play with a group in the near future. But it doesn't affect my understanding of 5e in general and the Stargate RPG in particular.
    Not at all, but it does mean your experience is limited to the theoretical, and theory is like war, it does not survive first contact with the enemy. I'm not ragging on you here man, I too can only deal with the theoretical as I have not played 5th ed and I have no real experience in it's interactions, but I have played the pervious editions 5th ed is based on.
    I have no doubt whatsoever you could review the system however.
    If you are looking for an online group to play with, be it 5th or many other games, check out this site:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/
    They have a specific section looking for online players, or perhaps you could find some people in your local area to play with as well
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

It is not a competition, guys.

Thanks for the link, it is nice to read a little more about "Kulera", the Aturen healer. By the way it would be nice to connect this race to the mythology of nymphs :
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph
      So they could be like the Prior of the Nox, like an advaned human race, while the mythological background could provide Earth related or mythology based missions as well. It could be also connected to envrionment, law of nature, basically Nox things, so while they don't interfere in the evolution, maybe their evolved human race did. I always wanted to introduce a similar race in my own SG fan fictions.

The healing could be still connected to the flow of the Cosmic Background Radiation (CBR), so even the Wraith has got the skill to drain it. But I know this RPG is based on SG-1 season 7, so maybe this planning should be made for the future expansions.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Oh hey, I'm not trying to sound... "competitive", for the lack of a better word that I can't come up with.

All's good!

Comment

Oh hey, I'm not trying to sound... "competitive", for the lack of a better word that I can't come up with.

All's good!
          Indeed.
          sigpic

Comment

Darren, I was hoping you would get back to us on this.
            sigpic

Comment

https://twitter.com/WyvrenGaming/sta...35025079336960
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Why are they having their laptops out?
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Why are they having their laptops out?
                  RPGs have evolved since printing out stacks of paper and writing on a notepad. Now you can even use your computer to look at your sheets, edit them, and take notes It's also still in development, so it's possible they are taking notes to quickly save and share them.

Comment

Ah, paperless gaming...

Comment

All that paper is what made gaming good.
                      It's a basic connection between people.
                      You might as well say don't bother going to Cons, you can watch them on youtube.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                        All that paper is what made gaming good.
                        It's a basic connection between people.
                        You might as well say don't bother going to Cons, you can watch them on youtube.
                        I may never have really played a RPG like D&D (or the likes) but I do know that paper is part of the charm (for me maybe) so I kinda agree here.

Comment

Purists....

Whatever can make sure people have fun is good enough in my book. My e-book that is

I'm very happy that roleplaying has a resurgence (largely thanks to Critical Role), but, while not aimed at any of you personally, in general I think there also still a huge part of it that excludes people. People argue that RPGs are meant to be played like this or that, that they can only be played socially with friends in person with paper, etc. These "purists" even constantly criticize Critical Role for not strictly following certain rules of D&D, despite Rule Zero stating that any rule should be broken for the sake of fun.

Not to mention whenever someone mentions they'd want to play an RPG solo (e.g. by themselves with no GM). "It's a social thing" they say. "You have to play with friends". Well, what if you don't have friends to play with? Then there are also people who think RPGs can only be played "in person", so virtual tabletops (Roll20 etc.) or Play-by-Post are chaotic evil to them.

Let people just have fun their way. Lemme tell you a little secret (only slightly off-topic): I use "cheats" in almost every (single-player) video game, as that's the only way for me to still have fun playing them, finish them, and prevent any expensive hardware from getting destroyed. They're games, not a chore or a job that I get paid for. I want fun and relaxation, not to have to work for it. Not everyone has fun in the same way...

The End...

...?

Comment

Ohhhkayyy, this might be long.

Purists....
                            Not purist, just have experience that you have stated over and over again you do not have. RPG's, especially the social aspect, pretty much saved my life. You simply don't know how that works. You can guess, assume, pretend that you do, but you don't.
                            Whatever can make sure people have fun is good enough in my book. My e-book that is
                            Playing by skype is just as valid as sitting at the table, so don't try the tech dinosaur route with me. It's not the same, but it is the real, viseral interaction that gaming embraces.
                            I'm very happy that roleplaying has a resurgence (largely thanks to Critical Role), but, while not aimed at any of you personally, in general I think there also still a huge part of it that excludes people. People argue that RPGs are meant to be played like this or that, that they can only be played socially with friends in person with paper, etc. These "purists" even constantly criticize Critical Role for not strictly following certain rules of D&D, despite Rule Zero stating that any rule should be broken for the sake of fun.
                            Umm, I think you are confusing two points.
                            Rule Zero is the DM can do what they want, and I have SERIOUSLY abused that rule over time. I've fudged rolls, I've changed the story, I've allowed players to do what they want if it makes sense within thier character or background and the rules be damned

Point 2
                            Who is getting excluded?
                            I started gaming with the Fighting Fantasy series of books (and Choose your own adventure). Both were and are exclusively solo play, and a valid form of gaming.
                            BUT they are not interactive with others.
                            They fire the imagination, they get you to think, but they are NOT RPG's.
                            They are PERSONAL fun.
                            Not to mention whenever someone mentions they'd want to play an RPG solo (e.g. by themselves with no GM). "It's a social thing" they say. "You have to play with friends". Well, what if you don't have friends to play with?
                            That is an issue that has absoulutly NOTHING to do with the game. RPG'S ARE social. Would you play chess with yourself?
                            Monoploly?
                            Jenga?
                            Then there are also people who think RPGs can only be played "in person", so virtual tabletops (Roll20 etc.) or Play-by-Post are chaotic evil to them.
                            Perhaps the people who have actually played have some insight?
                            What is yours?
                            Let people just have fun their way. Lemme tell you a little secret (only slightly off-topic): I use "cheats" in almost every (single-player) video game, as that's the only way for me to still have fun playing them, finish them, and prevent any expensive hardware from getting destroyed.
                            Ok, you cheat, even in single player games. you are not the person I would want to RP with.

They're games, not a chore or a job that I get paid for. I want fun and relaxation, not to have to work for it. Not everyone has fun in the same way...
                            Please don't become an actual Role player. It requires work, but that work is fun, and if you don't see that, there is no hope for you.
                            sigpic

Comment

Purists....

I call it authentic.

Anywho... anyone familiar with the Firefly boardgame... I mosy around on my own plenty of times on that thing. On the upside the Reavers or the other bad guys rarely make it towards my ship.

Edit: "the other bad guys" I was looking for are The Alliance.
                              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 04 December 2019, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                Ohhhkayyy, this might be long.

Not purist, just have experience that you have stated over and over again you do not have. RPG's, especially the social aspect, pretty much saved my life. You simply don't know how that works. You can guess, assume, pretend that you do, but you don't.

Playing by skype is just as valid as sitting at the table, so don't try the tech dinosaur route with me. It's not the same, but it is the real, viseral interaction that gaming embraces.

Umm, I think you are confusing two points.
                                Rule Zero is the DM can do what they want, and I have SERIOUSLY abused that rule over time. I've fudged rolls, I've changed the story, I've allowed players to do what they want if it makes sense within thier character or background and the rules be damned

Point 2
                                Who is getting excluded?
                                I started gaming with the Fighting Fantasy series of books (and Choose your own adventure). Both were and are exclusively solo play, and a valid form of gaming.
                                BUT they are not interactive with others.
                                They fire the imagination, they get you to think, but they are NOT RPG's.
                                They are PERSONAL fun.

That is an issue that has absoulutly NOTHING to do with the game. RPG'S ARE social. Would you play chess with yourself?
                                Monoploly?
                                Jenga?

Perhaps the people who have actually played have some insight?
                                What is yours?

Ok, you cheat, even in single player games. you are not the person I would want to RP with.

Please don't become an actual Role player. It requires work, but that work is fun, and if you don't see that, there is no hope for you.
                                Then I only have this to say: you just proved my point... And honestly, thanks for showing that you, too, are not someone I would want to play with either. You don't know me, you don't know what I do, I don't know you, and I don't know what you do. This is exactly what has put me off of trying to find a group to play with, and why I never play multiplayer games, and thank you for convincing me to stop looking.

PS: plenty of people play chess by themselves, and have you ever heard of Solitaire? And I also kindly direct you to this YouTube show "Me, Myself, and Die", which happens to be created by voice actor Trevor Devall (who voiced Kvasir and Hermiod on SG-1 and SGA).

Comment

Working...
                                X