No announcement yet.

Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the game is made, will any of you buy it?
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Certainly will. Though I imagine I'll be relying on some online groups for this one.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        If the game is made, will any of you buy it?
        I don't have any friends who RPG's so probably not... (and even less friends -- read: none -- who know Stargate).
        I've never played roleplay games either. They don't really appeal to me -- probably because I don't know anyone who plays. I prefer my games on PC (online gaming to a minimum) or console (no online gaming here), or boardgames.

Maybe the artwork is noteworthy, and the price right.

Basically, I'm not in the target audience of roleplay games, stargate or otherwise.
        Last edited by Falcon Horus; 09 August 2019, 03:56 AM.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

There are lots of good RPGs on PC or consoles with rich lore, but there is fun in the live-action RPG games too. I also haven't played any in the last 20 years, but I know a few middle-aged people who still prefer this entertainment.

When I was a game master I have used to make xerox copies of such pages of Fighting Fantasy books which had some kind of relevant picture to the story. It was visually entertaining as our own imagination was combined with those professional fant art works. Maybe they should add something similar in the SG RPG too : like a little bunch of art gallery of different planets (to see environments, buildings, animals, monsters etc.)

What could work for an SG RPG if they could add some kind of planet / event / enemy / quest generator which could be decided by dice rolls. Then the whole adventure module could be based on these steps. I am sure this could help any beginner game master.

https://stargatetherpg.com/news/
          There is nothing on it about the con.
          Last edited by Platschu; 11 August 2019, 07:44 AM.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Whoops. Didn't even know there was a thread, and with responses by the devs no less .

I don't really play RPGs (because I could never find people to play with, let alone people that would like to play the same kinds of games I do). But just because it's Stargate I'll definitely buy it. I'm currently trying to play "solo" (mostly to help with my writing, and to play like I did with LEGO when I was a kid), as an alternative.

I'm currently learning and planning to extend the Foundry VTT (Virtual Tabletop). It's a tool, like Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds if people know those, that helps with running tabletop RPGs online (so you don't need to be physically present in a group).

On top of that, I also backed a project called "Deios", which is an online tool for creating beautiful maps of any scale ("battlemaps" of small areas where you organize encounters, to region/planetary maps, and galaxy maps).

And for worldbuilding itself I use World Anvil, which is a wiki tool designed specifically for worldbuilding (either for RPGs or just in general for writers).

I plan to use all these tools for my own world, and for Stargate and Star Trek Adventures. That is for maps, assets, and stories.

I'm not at all that experienced with TTRPGs, but am diving into it and learning it as I go, so if anyone wants to know more, then can also ask me.

EDIT: And if anyone's interested, we can also set up a Discord server to stay together, maybe have the devs there as well for question (if they're willing). This is me being very optimistic though. I trust the devs for now, but obviously not MGM who can ruin everything quite easily.

Comment

NickEast : Welcome here. Just read back to see what is going on.

Any news? Is this RPG project dead?
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It kind of looks that way as there is almost complete silence. But they have a forum since, I believe, early this month that seems to be reasonably active. There are just very few members (around 10 or so, including admins and moderators, and me now), so it's not particularly bustling with activity.

Comment

I have joined too as a sign of support. The presence of the Goa'uld must be felt in every corner of the internet.

I liked that background painting on their website. As you could see I can be pleased with simple SG related art work. I believe I have suggested such things before that if they could make a few dozens planet photos then it could be used as a visual guidance of any adventure module.

Comment

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/...g-playtesters/

So the project is still alive. And they are recruiting mission writers too.

Comment

Yep, but the forum is still not very active. And I don't have a group, nor any real experience with TTRPGs. So I don't feel like I'm the right person for playtesting or writing missions (not yet at least). I'm currently spending a lot of time on getting Star Trek Adventures to work. And solo play isn't really the common ("proper") way to play, so playtesting the game that way would skew the results.

Comment

They are probably looking for experienced players, though as a n00b I should add that it's imperative that everyone knows what they're doing.

So, it should at least be a diverse group... but since I have no RPG-friends or heck even a group of people, I'd be out of the range anyway.

I'd have to solo-play. In that regard, I'd likely not buy the game for it would just be collecting dust on my shelf anyway, much like D&D is doing.

Comment

You folks need more faith in yourselves.
                          Sometimes going into a game "blind" is far more helpful and constructive than knowing "all the rules".
                          Me, I'd be going into the system and try to break it, see how the rules interact and where they fall down, a noob however will look at what they can create simply based on whether a system can fulfil what they imagine as a character.
                          Both are relevant, and useful for games design, don't sell yourselves short.
                          sigpic

Comment

Let your imagine run free and wild, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Let your imagine run free and wild, then.
                              YES.
                              30 years and more "wood" (trophies) than I care to count has taught me that.
                              Players play a game, designers want to know how the game works, and breakers BREAK systems.
                              None are more or less important, and none are "inferior" to the other.
                              I'm a breaker, I want to take your system to it's limits and see what snaps. I'm also a RPG'er, been doing it since I was 8, and then running games at conventions, be it D&D, Call of Cthulhu, James bond or systemless design to tell a STORY.
                              Point being, it's the STORY that works.
                              I can break your system, I can't break your story, and I don't want too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh, I love testing new systems... computersystems but the same... how far can I go before the system crashes.

Comment

Working...
                                X