Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Stargate Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

If you are looking for inspiration for good modern weapons systems I highly recommend the old Victory games System For James Bond as worth a look.
    Other good ones are Call of Cthulhu 3rd ed (the old D100 once, not the newer D20 one and Cyberpunk 2020 (The old R talsorian one.)
    Twilight 2000 is ok, but gets horribly complex with it's phase system for combat.
    All of them are fairly lethal, but that's the way modern weapons are.
    Bond however as a system has the most cinematic feel however.

Here you go: http://www.epicwords.com/attachments/15308
    Last edited by Gatefan1976; June 26th, 2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: add link
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by WyvernGaming View Post

The number on our development team is growing on a regular basis. Once we announced we got flooded with folks wanting to help. We also have some "head honchos" in the official lore consulting on the project. If I said who they are, you'd know immediately we were in good hands.

We have certainly gone through the AEG version of the RPG pretty in deepth, but I'd like to hear from this group what they liked and didn't like about that system. Please let us know!
    I had a chance to read the core rulebook the other night (love Scrib'ed) and in rule functionality, it has more in common with D20 Star Wars than 5th (or 4th) Ed D&D.
    Things I like in it:
    1: D20 is pretty intuitive as a rule, it's essentially a scaled down D100 system and is probably one of the most easily familiar systems to "modern" Pen and paper gaming fans, especially the DC check being the main core mechanic of every action.

2: The differentiation between "wounds" and "vitality", meaning that while PC's and NPC's can be incredibly resilient by virtue of have huge Vitality numbers, actually getting wounded by critical hits or unavoidable environmental damage remains an actual threat, regardless of Level / Encounter difficulty.

3: The Race/class subsystem is..... interesting. I think it needs a certain degree of work as on initial reading it seems rather haphazard, yet actually has a pretty broad and open ended logic to it.

4: the skill system is good, but as a pretty much direct lift from D&D 3.0/3.5 (and the spate of D20 systems that came soon after due to the OGL), that's no surprise.

Things I don't like are:
    1: The classes are too niche for such an open ended system, especially in the Class/cross class skill pool. Yes cross class has no penalties but it seems an entirely artificial limit in the modern world.

2: feats for getting equipment.
    This one -really- sucks as it uses level dependant consumables on gear. In fact, I find the whole gear pack system entirely stupid and a waste of time. "standard adventurer pack A" was a joke among gamers, having it as a actual mechanic?

3: the feat tree's
    These just seem wrong. It could be my own issue with the in Rulebook formatting of them (god knows 3.5 had them, and they grew with every splat book), however it really struck me on how bad they were, especially the unarmed combat ones.

My overall take-away is that AEG built on a combined version of D&D 3.0/3.5 and Star Wars D20 and made stupid design changes for the sake of "being different", rather than any additional NEED for there to be different mechanics. There are good Idea's in there, but the system seems far more clunky than it needs to be (3 pages of dealing with computer systems and viruses? come on guys, that's un-needed)
    You cannot create a better system by simply adding more complexity that is not needed, that's what the GM is there for, and a good GM does not need 3 pages of examples on a single skill to determine ad hoc modifications, something both D&D and SW covered amply well in the respective GM sections of their books, and what this system is based on.

Let me ask you guys a question...
    What elements of a Stargate RPG do you feel are critical in making it to your table to play with your friends?

Thanks
    Brad
    stargatetherpg.com
    I'm not sure what you want here. The idea of any game is to immerse yourself in the "spirit" of the source material, and as such, if it FEELS like SG-1, it will come across that way, no matter the actual rules behind it. You could run a SG-1 game on just Skill, Stamina and Luck based on the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and it not detract from the STORY, or you could run it on something as complex a Bushido or role master.
    Story is what matters, and if you can deliver THAT, gamers are pretty darn forgiving.
    So, does SYSTEM matter, which I think is where you are going here to a degree. Well, yes, it does, but only as a vehicle to tell stories.
    Complication for the sake of "uniqueness" is bad, Complication for storytelling is actually quite good.

I have asked about the army consultant as most of us don't know anything about how the AirForce or Navy works. Since the Stagate is heavily based on this military environment, maybe it would be wise to "talk" about the army ranks, command chain, different part of the organization, military slang, abbreviations etc.

Stargate is not about fighting. I mean not just about fighting, so I hope you can balance out the non-soldier characters too. Even a medical doctor, any science, computer, history, language expert can have useful skills for a party. So I hope you will give them opportunity to shine (like hacking doors, jamming signals, raising shields, translating signs etc.)

I know how the combat system will look like, but I let you suprise us. Here are no sword fights (except for Mitchell ), so it must be challenging how to desribe modern walfare.

GateFan is right about that still the stories, the adventure are the most important if it makes you feel you part of the Stargate world. When I was a GM, I didn't mind if the party sit next to a table and they are doing anything useful as long as they are true to the characters. Since you are developing Stargate RPG, every planet can have different fun and surprise. Just other, bigger RPG worlds have got one planet with continents and detailed lore, while Stargate has got "fragment lore". Most of the actions have happened around the gate, then the heroes returned after saving the day. What I wanted to say whatever stories you are planning to tell, we have to keep in mind that not every planet can dial every planet as they simply won't know the coordinates. And even an adventure can be played on multiplied planets (locations). It would be nice to introduce such events in the game setting when something is going in the background but it can affect lots of planets (like Goa'uld systemrlords civil war or war between isolated worlds in space and through the stargate network etc.)

If I am completly honest with you gaters, I am the most excited about these little mini-fanfictions in your future RPG book. Where only one paragraph of story can initiate new ideas, new adventures for the future heroes. It will be good to see official missions as it will feel like we are "replaying" them. But I also hope the writers can give us tiny little details here and there which can extend the lore. That is the reason I have asked if you could keep the already established season 1-2-(3) informations from the AEG game / books / novels etc. You know when you hear such background informations which were not directly in the live action tv shows, but it can greatly extend the official canon. And an SG RPG would be a great way to merge these little pieces.

It would be nice if the RPG book would have an armory section, which describes the weapons. If you could introduce the stargate and DHD, so the readers could study these objects. Talking about objects, maybe the book should have an official item lists (like technologies, artifacts) from the show, while you could add many-many new elements.
    Last edited by Platschu; June 27th, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

I don't know if your really NEED that much of an armoury section in the game. I mean, you don't really see a great variety of weaponry in SG-1. P-90's, pistols (probably browning HP's) the occasional shotgun, SMG and LMG's and then the Goa'uld/Jaffa weapons.

I think you would get more mileage out of an Armoury and Artifacts book as a stand alone splat book than needing them in the core rules.
    (splat book definition for non gamers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook )
    For good source material for the earth weapons if you are interested, Twilight 2000 has a great collection of semi-modern weapons in it's armoury guides

One example: https://kupdf.net/download/twilight-...f20a0a9ff1_pdf
    Last edited by Gatefan1976; June 27th, 2019 at 11:11 PM.

Oh, Platschu, if you want to talk military stuff, ask Magi877, he's an Ex Military man.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    (splat book definition for non gamers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook )
    It's a book, that goes splat...

And thanks for the link cause y'all are talking chinese as far as I am concerned so my tip to Wyvern: I have never played an RPG before so I wouldn't know where to start and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's never picked up a roleplay before so don't make it overly complicated to start with. Add a beginnersguide (for dummies) or something.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    It's a book, that goes splat...

And thanks for the link cause y'all are talking chinese as far as I am concerned so my tip to Wyvern: I have never played an RPG before so I wouldn't know where to start and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's never picked up a roleplay before so don't make it overly complicated to start with. Add a beginnersguide (for dummies) or something.
    You have an imagination, you are far better off than a lot of players back in the 80's.
    Basic rules are not a bad idea however.

I am a true pacifist, so I hate weapon and violence. But as Methos from the Highlander said "just because I don't like fighting, it doesn't mean I can't ". I have suggested the armory as most of us (non Americans) have never seen a close-up photo or drawing about those weapons which were used in the SG-1.

FH: RPG is like an interactive fan fiction, where instead of bunch of Mary Sues, everybody follows a rulebook what and how they should react in a situation. So if you choose a warrior class then you won't use spells, while a wizard won't run into the battle if he can cast a spell. And then the story is created, evolved, enjoyed by the GM and the players together. It is not just about throwing dices and killing monsters. There are so many settings, RPG systems that you can easily find that one what you like.

But back to Stargate. I really hope the civil side of SGC will be supported as well. Stargate can tell so many non- combat scenarios in so many technological or historical eras (ancient, medieval, i dustrial, futuristic). It really depends how the GM tells the story and if he can motivate and surprise the team with unusual twists.

Being "Civil" has -always- been part of RPG's, what it has not been is incentivised in many of the major systems in the past. (look at most games XP systems)
    Also, Combat is probably the most complex part of any rules set because of the variables involved. I get where you are coming from, but it's an "end user" Point of view, not a design one.
    Last edited by Gatefan1976; June 28th, 2019 at 11:39 PM.

Okay, I am just a little RPG gamer so I am sorry if I have sounded dumb. You have more experience as you can compare more systems what you have played. I like the civil side of a party, but it really depends on the GM, the story and the attitude of the other players. If everybody wants to shoot hostile Jaffas and kull warriors then it is fine, just it would be nice to see opportunity to shine for non-warrior characters in a combat situation.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Okay, I am just a little RPG gamer so I am sorry if I have sounded dumb. You have more experience as you can compare more systems what you have played. I like the civil side of a party, but it really depends on the GM, the story and the attitude of the other players. If everybody wants to shoot hostile Jaffas and kull warriors then it is fine, just it would be nice to see opportunity to shine for non-warrior characters in a combat situation.
    You are absolutely right, it depends on the GM.
    HOWEVER
    Most games systems, at least back in the past gave you XP NOT for being civil, but for "defeating enemies".
    To get what you want, you need to have a system that allows combat to not dominate the experience system.

Great feedback everyone. We really appricate it. In Stargate we can go several episodes without combat so there will definitely be support for diplomatic solutions. We're even considering implementing a demerit system, at the discretion of the GM, if a character shoots first and asks questions later. The opposite should be encouraged.

The experience will be rewarded by resolving the situation, either by one means or the other. However, a peaceful solution is always preferred.

We're going to try to strike a good balance.

Thanks. I hope you don't mind. We just thinking loudly how could you pleass everyone.

I really would like to see realistic options for non-warriors in a combat situations (like solving puzzles, hacking, raising shields, giving out Jaffa command orders, cloaking, placing bombs, traps, giving aid, mass healing etc.). While it could be interesting to see warrior type heroes in non-combat situation, where they have to use their oure logic and survival instinct without using any weapon. I am guessing you have to stick what was showed on the tv shows, so random new heroes won't run around with alien tech (like Tollan, Asgard tech.)

Is there any chance that you can use some parts of the unfinished Stargate : Worlds game? There were nice concept arts and maybe some of those could be re-used in the RPG (like different Jaffa Guard helmets, zats, staff weapons etc.) if MGM still has got the rights of them.

The live action shows never had the chance to show so many things (for example how the SGC levels look like in the Cheyenne Mountain, the other teams etc.). Such little details can make the story more believable.

Wyvern's new cover photo on Facebook. An Unas!! :O

65392342_2087268204735368_985048782242578432_o.jpg

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

FH: RPG is like an interactive fan fiction, where instead of bunch of Mary Sues, everybody follows a rulebook what and how they should react in a situation. So if you choose a warrior class then you won't use spells, while a wizard won't run into the battle if he can cast a spell. And then the story is created, evolved, enjoyed by the GM and the players together. It is not just about throwing dices and killing monsters. There are so many settings, RPG systems that you can easily find that one what you like.
    Thanks.

I really would like to see realistic options for non-warriors in a combat situations (like solving puzzles, hacking, raising shields, giving out Jaffa command orders, cloaking, placing bombs, traps, giving aid, mass healing etc.). While it could be interesting to see warrior type heroes in non-combat situation, where they have to use their oure logic and survival instinct without using any weapon. I am guessing you have to stick what was showed on the tv shows, so random new heroes won't run around with alien tech (like Tollan, Asgard tech.)
    And now I want an Escape Room game, Stargate themed.

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Wyvern's new cover photo on Facebook. An Unas!! :O

65392342_2087268204735368_985048782242578432_o.jpg
    It looks so cool. A Cronoss Jaffa, then a Vala type Goa'uld, Falcon Horus, a Nox, Indiana Jones and an Unas. Nice team composition.

I have seen a short promo video on the GW's FaceBook page regarding the Wyvern RPG, but it was never published on the main page. Maybe Darren will show it within a few days.

Honestly I have expected a slightly bigger buzz here. I can see that GW is almost dead or the long time fans can hardly talk about new things in SG threads, just it would be nice to hear more opinions and suggestions.

I really would like to see more Jaffa Guards, alien races, mythology related artifacts and races, weird planet landscapes in the RPG as illustrations. Such art work could create lots of new fan fictions, so the fandom can be pleased.
    Last edited by Platschu; July 1st, 2019 at 03:56 AM.

It looks so cool. A Cronoss Jaffa, then a Vala type Goa'uld, Falcon Horus, a Nox, Indiana Jones and an Unas. Nice team composition.
    If I can get a character named after myself, I'll definitely be playing this game.

Of course you can name your own character.

Like. You can play whatever you want.

: FH is playing a naquadah reactor :

Okay, you can play whatever can move.

: FH is playing the MALP of the team :

You can play any living thing you want.

: FH is playing the RepliFalconHorus :

You can play any really living person you want.

: FH is playing the AscendedFalconHorus :

GM gives up.

: FH is playing herself as the AscendedReplicatorFalconHorus with a Wraith-Unas love child host with a Tok'ra symbiote as a Lucian Alliance agent :

GM cries.

The End

Last edited by Platschu; July 1st, 2019 at 12:22 PM.

It's not a Nox.

We've been working with MGM closely on this. We originally wanted the Nox to be a playable character but the story group felt it would be too over powered. So we've developed a new never before seen race known as the Atruen. I can't say too much yet, but they were essentially nurtured by the Nox.

Oh yeah, you mentioned it on the previous page. Thanks for the exclusive confirmation of the new Atruen race.

Here I was brainstorming my own, mainly mythology based races and new gate related technologies and how I would continue the franchise :
    https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...galaxy-in-2020

11. Random idea - "Nymph"
    I could imagine them in the SG world as such chosen people who were educated by the Nox. They were like an "anti-Goa'uld Systemlords", who were also guarding different worlds in the galaxy. The studied the laws of nature. They were protecting the local animals and plants. So it would be nice to introduce a peaceful advanced human group as "Nymphs" who could be like the Priors of the Nox. Like space druids. Different skills, different motivations. Most of them were wiped out by the Goa'uld, so only a few have remained on secret and hidden worlds. The peaceful Nox also couldn't find any other solution to the galaxy wide aggression that they started to hide the non-human worlds and races from the human worlds when Ra was rising up his dynasty. This way we could introduce an interesting chapter of the past of our galaxy, while we could connect it to the current situations. Maybe one of our main hero could get a "membership" in time as a character development. Some nymphys could be friendly, some of them could be really aggressive. Most of them would be passive and over-protective. Some of them could be living underwater / underice worlds (like nereids) from the mythology. They could even play an ambassador type characters in communication between humans / Jaffas and non humans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph
    Since I wanted to focus on bio hazards and environment protection related scifi stories, even the main bad guys could be some kind of "eco terrorist", like a very strict, deadly version of Green Peace in space. It could change the status quo.

But anyway I hope we can hear more and more details from the story. I always wanted to see more mythology based races in Stargate, so maybe some of them are extinct now, maybe some of them are still hiding on planets. I don't know how much new elements are you allowed to introduce if your license is about SG-1 and you said the story setting is in late season 5-7.

You have also said the last one is not an Unas, so can you confirm it? How many playable races do you plan? Will there be any offworld human "races"? Like Kelownians? Serrakins? Abydonians?

If there is no class system, will you introduce some kind of skill tree?
    Last edited by Platschu; July 1st, 2019 at 09:50 AM.