No announcement yet.

Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's going to depend on the writer and what they're aiming to achieve with the story of this new one. If something done in the old one gets in the way of something they're aiming to do here, I imagine they'll just ignore that specific element from Alderac's.

But I'm not fussed as long as the final result is interesting.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I could always ask...

But I do think it'll be a brand new game, and not build on the old RPG game.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Alderac system is still like an AU, so the new RPG can be handled the same way. Average viewers will never read or play it, while the hard-core ones must be open-hearted enough to accept some new settings.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Oh yeah, that's how I head canon away anything like that. lol It's just another AU.
          sigpic

Comment

Well... technically every RPG party will be AU as every GM will tell a different scenarios. Like an interactive fan fiction.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Very true!
              sigpic

Comment

My first RPG was the Fighting Fantasy book series (written by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson). It has really inspired my imagination at age 9-10 as it was full of nice pictures as well.

I have never played AD&D, but I have played with the Eye of the Beholder 1-2 game on my PC. I have read almost all Drizzt books as well, so I was familiar with the Forgotten Realms and later the Dark Sun setting. I have briefly heard about the Middleearth RPG (LOTR based one), but I have not even read the books at that stage.

My "main" RPG was a Hungarian system and we have played it for years. But then our ways were seperated after the secondary school, so I haven't played live RPG since age of 16.

My favorite fantasy game series is still the Elder Scrolls (Morriwind, Oblivion, Skyrim). The world is so complex... eras, gods, heroes, lots of quests and npcs, wild range of clans and character opportunities. The Witcher III is still on my list as soon as I buy a better (and working) PC.

Nowadays they can make such high quality, almost movie quality computer and console games that I am not so sure of the market of the a tabletop RPG is still a growing one. I believe it must have decreased in the last few years as more interactivity can be reached in computer games.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  My first RPG was the Fighting Fantasy book series (written by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson). It has really inspired my imagination at age 9-10 as it was full of nice pictures as well.

I have never played AD&D, but I have played with the Eye of the Beholder 1-2 game on my PC. I have read almost all Drizzt books as well, so I was familiar with the Forgotten Realms and later the Dark Sun setting.

My "main" RPG was a Hungarian system and we have played it for years. But then our ways were seperated after the secondary school, so I haven't played live RPG since age of 16.

My favorite game series is still the Elder Scrolls (Morriwind, Oblivion, Skyrim).
                  Warlock of firetop mountain, brings back memories
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Exactly. They have released one book every month or second month in Hungary in 1988-1992. And even those books could be published behing the Iron Curtaine. In comparsion that we have turned into democracy only in 1989, it was really progressive that they could publish those game books. I loved them. I have arranged them by covers. Really... I was impressed as a little boy since I have been born in 1980, so these books has found me at age 7-12. My mother has brought me the Deathtrap Dungeon after my speech therapy, so while I was waiting for her in the car, I could read that book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Fantasy

I was not really a big fan of the cyberpunk / scifi books of the series. And later I have grown out this book. Then I have managed to "collect" them online in pdf version, so it is lovely to play them occasionally in English, But obviously 30 years have passed so it won't cause the same joy like under 10.

Comment

Ahh, I'm a RPG'er from a young age. I was playing basic D&D (the red box) with my deputy principal in year 5
                      Played at conventions, GM'ed at conventions and played and own more systems than I can remember.
                      Some of the systems I own are:
                      D&D.
                      AD&D, 1st-4th editions
                      James Bond
                      Chill
                      Call of Cthulhu
                      Twilight 2000
                      Old World of Darkness (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Fairie, Demon)
                      Pendragon
                      MechWarrior
                      Bushido (now there is an OLD one)
                      Star Trek (original and Last Unicorn)
                      Middle Earth Roleplaying (based on the Role-master System)
                      A swathe of Paladium games (RIFTS/Beyond the Supernatural/TMNT)
                      DC Hero's
                      Hero's unlimited
                      Lords of creation
                      Necroscope
                      Torg
                      Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
                      SLA Industries
                      Star wars (West End and D20 versions)
                      Cyberpunk 2020
                      Ars Magica
                      5th Age Dragonlance
                      Dr Who

Probably more I have forgotten
                      sigpic

Comment

Oops. It looks you have won then. It is a very impressive list, then you must be really experienced.

I have just checked the FF series on the Hungarian wikipedia, the first was published in 1989, so I was 9. They were released by different companies. I was lucky I could be part of that magical book experience as that was the first step into my geek/nerd myself.

I loved the Hercules and Xena tv shows as an RPG fan. Those were the golden years. There was no boys who hadn't a crush on Gabrielle (Renee O'Connor). I have started to appreciate Lucy Lawless more after the BSG and Spartacus. And then Stargate has showe up as well and you all know my loyality has never broken since 1997.

I loved the Lands of Lore game (maybe from 1994-1995). God knows how many times I have played it. Heroes of Might and Magic III is still one of my favorite fantasy-strategy game too. I loved the Warcraft 1-3, then the Diablo 2 too, but they were released at the end of the '90es or early '00s.

I still got a set of dices. It still amazes me how can they make D4, D9, D10, D20 dices.

Comment

Oops. It looks you have won then. It is a very impressive list, then you must be really experienced.
                          Ahh, yeah
                          Games filled in the role of legal systems, I LIKE knowing how things (mostly people) work, and RPG's tell you everything. Game theory is my passion.
                          I have just checked the FF series on the Hungarian wikipedia, the first was published in 1989, so I was 9. They were released by different companies. I was lucky I could be part of that magical book experience as that was the first step into my geek/nerd myself.
                          Fighting fantasy and Choose your own adventure books were mine as well.
                          I loved the Hercules and Xena tv shows as an RPG fan. Those were the golden years. There was no boys who hadn't a crush on Gabrielle (Renee O'Connor). I have started to appreciate Lucy Lawless more after the BSG and Spartacus. And then Stargate has showe up as well and you all know my loyality has never broken since 1997.
                          The 90's were very much the golden age of RPG's.

I loved the Lands of Lore game (maybe from 1994-1995). God knows how many times I have played it. Heroes of Might and Magic III is still one of my favorite fantasy-strategy game too. I loved the Warcraft 1-3, then the Diablo 2 too, but they were released at the end of the '90es or early '00s.
                          I refuse to call Computer games RPG's. They are RPG simulators at best. They are not "bad", or "wrong", they are what they are and a hell of a lot of fun, but they lack the dynamic of other people and a fluid GM, which is at the core of a RPG.
                          I still got a set of dices. It still amazes me how can they make D4, D9, D10, D20 dices.
                          I have buckets of the things
                          One of my mates is an ex-combat medic and he keeps them in old .50 cal boxes
                          sigpic

Comment

The msin problem was with RPG that if you tell a module for a 4-6 people party then everybody has got less opportunity to shine. Even a simple fight can last for long minutes until everybody made their own turn. Then the motivations were different for a fighter or a wizard or a bard, so sometimes characters have got their own adventures.

I loved being a GM. I have made some photocopies of the FF illustrations, so my stories were told by showed pictures occasionally. Or when I have made some puzzle in the dungeos, they have cursed me for ages. ????

If you have seen "Stranger things" season 1, the boys also play RPG.

I like computer games as they really give interactivity, a bigger adrenaline rush. Nothing is wrong with them. Okay, they are visually more stunning and then the own imagination is less, but it can still give more reward than a day or half-day is spent with an hours long RPG on Saturdays.

Comment

The msin problem was with RPG that if you tell a module for a 4-6 people party then everybody has got less opportunity to shine. Even a simple fight can last for long minutes until everybody made their own turn. Then the motivations were different for a fighter or a wizard or a bard, so sometimes characters have got their own adventures.
                              I never found that. Yes people take time, but the other players would chat, or plan their turn based on what other players were doing. When characters were -really- doing their own thing that would take chunks of time, I would just run a single session for them on another day, or before everyone else turned up.
                              RPG's are SOCIAL by nature, which is why I don't consider Computer games RPG's (unless they are MMOLRPG's like Warcraft or Old Republic, but even they are touch and go)
                              I loved being a GM. I have made some photocopies of the FF illustrations, so my stories were told by showed pictures occasionally. Or when I have made some puzzle in the dungeos, they have cursed me for ages. ????
                              Good way to go.
                              If you have seen "Stranger things" season 1, the boys also play RPG.
                              Haven't got to it to be honest.
                              I like computer games as they really give interactivity, a bigger adrenaline rush. Nothing is wrong with them. Okay, they are visually more stunning and then the own imagination is less, but it can still give more reward than a day or half-day is spent with an hours long RPG on Saturdays.
                              Nothing wrong with them at all, but I don't consider single player games "RPG's". There is none of the social interactivity between PEOPLE. You craft your own story, and that's cool, just not a RPG IMHO.
                              sigpic

Comment

I own the basic D&D box (the red one) but I haven't the foggiest how to play that since I literally don't know anyone who RPG's, so we're left to figure it out on our own which has clearly not worked since we've opened the box ones and then never again. It's a nice looking box though.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X