No announcement yet.

Stargate: Phoenix ~ Tabletop RPG by Wyvern Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, there's nothing to stop the odd survivor or two from showing up.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

That's what I figured as well. Maybe a few were off world or something when it happened

Comment

I am sure that will be the case. What about Serrakins, Reole, Rheetou? They should show up as NPCs.

I am a bit confused about the Aturen. So is it an anagram for "neutral"? I hope they will write some deeper background story for them as there was only a few sentences in the beta-test pdf.

I was also expecting that a few core missions will be in the rulebook or they will announce a separate mission book as well. Maybe they should make some environment cards too where the map could be be built like a puzzle type of tiles. Anyway I hope they won't get too greedy, so everybody will be satisfied at the end.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Typically, such core books (RPGs based on third-party IPs) tend to contain starting points for missions, but usually not entire adventures, to save space and page count. The Stargate Phoenix "living campaign" will be free and regularly updated with new missions (and the consequences of the various groups that participate and submit their After Action Reports) for a certain period of time; at least that's the general definition of a "living campaign". And I believe (since I no longer follow any of it aside from briefly looking through the Kickstarter page) there will be mission "books" in one form or another, possibly as part of the Stretch Goals that they certainly passed. Of course the core book will contain a guide to create your own missions and campaigns, but what kind of guide highly depends as that varies a lot game by game.

As for the other aliens, I don't know. But I doubt it for the near future, as in it might be used for a future supplemental book that might be created based on the overall success of the product line (and MGM's continued interest in the license). These aliens have either appeared early in the show or still have to appear by the time of the RPG and are not directly connected to the game's setting (Stargate Phoenix). Considering other things missing from the RPG, I think these aliens are not important enough.

Comment

FaceBook has just advertised this 3d printed custom miniature printing website :
            https://eldritch-foundry.com/
            It is expensive, I am just amazed that the technology has reached such level. Maybe it will be much cheaper and common after a few years.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Would you look at that... they added an extra tier -- 210$ Gamer's Bundle which includes everything except for the miniatures if those get unlocked.

Now I understand it's better to wait a while to make a pledge to a project and see what else gets shaken loose from the reward-pile.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I believe nothing is worth of 210 dollars as you can buy complete tv show boxes for that amount of money or pay the Netflix for months. I have also decided to pay 90$ for the special edition of the rule book as I wanted to support this project on day 1 and amount of momey has also felt too expensive. But since I haven't gone anywhere because of the covid, I have decided to pay for it.

Comment

A friend of mine has backed stuff on Kickstarter and gave me an estimate on the shipping costs.

On that notion, it would be too expensive to go with the books, so I'll probably stick to a PDF-file and the dice set. It's not like I will ever play this game anyways.

But I'm gonna hold off on backing until the end -- and see what else comes up.

Comment

It was nice to see the actors, but I believe 4 experienced players would have been enough as they would have more time to shine. Only David Blue and David Hewlett were bothered to act a little. It would have been nice to introduce the characters a bit deeper like telling the name, the class and the background. New chat participitants were all expecting their SG roles.

I liked the maps as it was visually convincing, but I also had a feeling how old style is this type of RPG. I mean the new generation have FPS and MMORPG games, so maybe a traditional tabletop RPG won't be interesting for them. I have a bad feeling that some people will be disappointed as they have backed this project without knowing what it is. It clearly shows how much people love this franchise. I hope MGM will realize how much people wants a computer game too.

Comment

From the comments of backers to the project, I don't think there are many who think this is anything but a tabletop role play game.

A few comments on twitter were of a different nature, but overall, I think most people seem to get it that it isn't a video game.

Comment

Okay, good to hear. I hope they will provide printable maps to every mission as it would make the game easier. I wouldn't mind even 2d printable enemies (like Jaffas), objects, trees what could be placed on the map.

Alexis Cruz was lovely how he was reading and commenting the chat during playing.

And I have to mention how diappointing was Rainbow's behaviour. He has looked drunk really quickly and he seemed generally not interested in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          I hope they will provide printable maps to every mission as it would make the game easier.
                          Doesn't seem to be the case. Seen that question in the comments.
                          Maybe they've changed their mind, but I don't think it will be provided.

I wouldn't mind even 2d printable enemies (like Jaffas), objects, trees what could be placed on the map.
                          I think you're gonna have to find those images yourself too.

Comment

I mean they can make two-sided drawings which can be printed or cut out then those could be placed on the maps (ememies, allies, trees, weapons, building or any other module related things). So I hope they will support the community this way with 2D art stuffs if it is needed at all.

Comment

I mean they can make two-sided drawings which can be printed or cut out then those could be placed on the maps (ememies, allies, trees, weapons, building or any other module related things). So I hope they will support the community this way with 2D art stuffs if it is needed at all.
                              If they did that you would be looking at "boxed modules" as opposed to books. They can work, but they do drive up the cost of things.

Me personally, I'm not a fan of such things in RPG's, they fall more in the category Table top wargames or skirmish games like Mordheim, Necromunda or Malifaux. Don't get me wrong, I love those games as well but they are just -different-.. For RPG's, give me theater of the mind any day.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

The introduction of the Aturen (the Nox type new healer racs) still feels a bit forced. SGC has always lost the sarcophagus technology, so it would be a bit unlogical why the Aturen wouldn't help them in the live show.

One of unlockable objects are the tiles of the Phoenix base. So they are planning to give out such things. I am happy they have reached all their goals, just I hope the quality will prove itself over quantity. The expectations are really high.

Comment

Working...
                                X