Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Wormhole & Kawoosh

Hi everyone,

thought I'd post this here as well. During pre production of Stargate: Origins, the director was shown an old animation of the movie wormhole that I did couple of years ago. As a hobby 3d artist, this was awesome. So they went ahead and asked me to produce a 4K version of it, which eventually actually ended up being used in the feature! My goal was to faithfully recreate the movie version of the wormhole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqRolXAUu3I

They also asked me if I could create a fully 3d version of the Kawoosh. Due to time and budget, they opted to use the stock footage they already had from the show and movie.

But I also worked on that one, and here's the result:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=usHi9c3e_rY

Cheers,
    Rob

Pretty snazzy!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

That kawoosh looks really incredible! Very faithful to the original movie effects! Thanks for sharing those. It's fantastic you got to work on an official Stargate product!

Say what we will of the finished feature, but I was pretty chuffed with the various tie ins back to the original movie aesthetic.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Hi Rob,

your wormhole is great and congratulations that you made it into the TV/movie! It is really a beautiful and polished version of the effect that we have seen in the original movie

The kawoosh-effect is a special beast I have tried for some time to replicate it using particle effects. Unfortunately, it was a practical effect in the original movie (i.e. it was made with air blown into a real water tank) and so it is hard to mimic it with digital tools.

Comment

I wonder how to achieve that effect in 3D CGI except my tools at hand is not lightwave but Blender, Carrara and ZBrush. I need to learn all three better.
            Hello
            I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

Comment

Working...
            X