Thread: Fallout Games

Default Fallout Games

I think I might have just realized the angle Fallout 3 and Vegas might have been trying to take with their creature design

Now fallout 1 and 2 had campy creature design. But it had a believable nature you know? And fallout 4's creature design is more realistic but in a way fits more with the original creature design
    3 and Vegas.

Have creature design like a campy movie And. It. Works.

I mean it could just be graphical limitations. But if you think about it in the sense of campy 60s monster movies. It works perfectly.

I think Fallout is intended to be kind of Campy. But as Bethesda continues they're trying to kinda take it in a more serious direction. 1,2, and 3 feel like you're playing a campy apocalypse movie from the 60s, Especially Vegas.

4 feels more like a modern apocalypse movie, it's not as campy. More dreary. There's a more "weight of the world". It puts more focus on people dying, people struggling.

Default Re: Fallout Games

I'm not sure that's necessarily Fallout-specific. The trend from 'campy end of the world' to 'let's try to imagine what it would really be like if the apocalypse happened' seems to be common in video games, TV, and movies.

Batman: Adam West, to Michael Keaton, to Christian Bale
    BSG: 1970s camp to 2000s "hard SF"
    James Bond: campy Roger Moore, slightly more serious Brosnan, hard-edge Daniel Craig
    Judge Dredd: campy Stallone to badass Karl Urban
    The Mummy: campy 30s movie, campy 90s movie, SUPER SERIOUS Tom Cruise movie
    Star Trek: 1960s camp through 80s/90s TNG, to Discovery and Picard
    Tomb Raider games: from goofy 'boob raider' PSX games to realistic current-gen titles
    Tomb Raider movies: from Angelina Jolie to Alicia Vikander

There's a lot more, those are just a few I could think of.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; June 10th, 2019 at 03:04 AM.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

I know it's not just Fallput specific. I was just thinking about how Fallout 3 and NV are getting a little dated looking.

11 years of shifting developer/gamer tastes and expectations will do that... (to say nothing of the technical advances in that period)
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Of course. But there were games that game out at around the same time that had much better graphics compared. I was thinking maybe the graphics of it were just a design choice.