Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What sort of things do you guys collect?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath_E View Post
    I get that Chaka, not trusting digital saves. Little off topic of collections, I went to a Digital Foresics camp a couple years ago and carried around a notebook the whole time. The others there thought it was weird but I mean we were working with viruses and stuff like that. I'd much rather write things down than plug a USB into a computer with the chance of accidentally picking up Some malware.
    Lol I'd say you're the only one who should pass the class, USB are like the #1 medium used for system incursions. I did the same in University.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Can you believe that?

Many of my friends were musicians and I don't think it's a myth too, they all agree that vinyl does sound better overall when it's music from actual instruments, that's what they tell me. I guess you listen to a lot of Rock or metal maybe so understanbly you're correct on that. Rap or electro or digitally created music wouldn't sound better on vinyl.

Unfortunately I was born a few decades after you vinyls are too expensive to collect for me. Even CD's are a rip-off, most of the time 20$ a pop for newer stuff. I can hardly find interesting material now with all those closures there's just 1 retailer left (Sunrise Records) and it doesn't help that metal being a semi-niche only gets 2-3 sections in the shop. I can hardly find what I'm looking for now, that's if they don't completely disappear in a few years.

They even have the audacity to mix trash such as Evanescence in the metal section, it makes me sick.
    I think we have some old vinyls stored in our garage....not sure what kinda shape they're in though as it can get mighty hot even here in Buffalo during the summer months

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    My oldest is a 1 cent coin from 1914.
    My grandfather gave it to me, along with a whole bunch of other coins and paper money (German money from WWII among others).
    some coins and money, while they may now be worthless as legal tender as the entity that issued the currency might no longer exist, can still be worth a lot in terms of collector value

for example some Confederate money can be worth a lot in terms of collector value

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Heath_E View Post
    I tend to be interested in Natural items. Bones, pelts/feathers, plants. I'll only collect/buy bones and pelts though if whatever they're coming from was killed naturally or they were killed by some one for the meat and not just for the bones or pelts.
    My sister makes me empty my pockets after walks. Says I don't have space for all that "junk".
    I had to do that once while vacationing in Crete where it's actually illegal to take bits and pieces home from historical sites, even junk like pottery bits. There's a huge archaeological site that has not been excavated cause well Greece went bankrupt and I picked up like bits and pieces of pottery, but I had to take it back afterwards...

I usually take images of items like that because the shape fascinates me, or the color or the texture or just the look of it...

People always look at me funny when I say I still buy CD's and I am extremely disappointed that most retailers have disappeared. Those left have a very narrow selection and mostly mainstream stuff.
    YES!! ME TOO!!
    I have a huge collection, and my father used to be a DJ in his youth so he has a fabulous collection of vinyl (that I want to inherit -- as do I want to inherit my grandfather's collection).

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    some coins and money, while they may now be worthless as legal tender as the entity that issued the currency might no longer exist, can still be worth a lot in terms of collector value

for example some Confederate money can be worth a lot in terms of collector value
    I don't know if they are worth much (yet)... in any case, I probably do have some valuable items in my collection of coins of stamps that I'm unaware of.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

I am an avid collector of anything Sherlock Holmes related lol I have books, video games, cups, figures, shirts, his coat (BBC sherlock) and a deer stalker hat....and there is still MORE stuff i want! lol i don't know if that's odd or not lol I think the weirdest thing i have in my collection right now is a Sherlock manga that is still in Japanese. I can't read a WORD of it but i could use it as motivation to learn the language.
    http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/l...titled-1-2.jpg
    Spoiler:

MCSHEP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
    Sheppard <3's Rodney! YAY! LOLS!
    Happily floating in Mckay Heaven <3

Can you believe that?

Many of my friends were musicians and I don't think it's a myth too, they all agree that vinyl does sound better overall when it's music from actual instruments, that's what they tell me. I guess you listen to a lot of Rock or metal maybe so understanbly you're correct on that. Rap or electro or digitally created music wouldn't sound better on vinyl.

Unfortunately I was born a few decades after you vinyls are too expensive to collect for me. Even CD's are a rip-off, most of the time 20$ a pop for newer stuff. I can hardly find interesting material now with all those closures there's just 1 retailer left (Sunrise Records) and it doesn't help that metal being a semi-niche only gets 2-3 sections in the shop. I can hardly find what I'm looking for now, that's if they don't completely disappear in a few years.

They even have the audacity to mix trash such as Evanescence in the metal section, it makes me sick.
    Well, I'm guess I'm lucky then; I haven't heard anything new that I would want to own in decades. I already have most of what I would ever want to own. About the only things I buy nowadays is the occasional Vinyl or CD at a garage sale. Usually CD's, though, it's very rare to find a vinyl album that I want that has been taken care of. Usually, they're beat to hell.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Well, I'm guess I'm lucky then; I haven't heard anything new that I would want to own in decades. I already have most of what I would ever want to own. About the only things I buy nowadays is the occasional Vinyl or CD at a garage sale. Usually CD's, though, it's very rare to find a vinyl album that I want that has been taken care of. Usually, they're beat to hell.
    like mine...they're probably in sad shape after sitting around in the rafters of the garage exposed to the cold temps of our often brutal winters and then the sometimes equally brutal heat waves of our summers

like mine...they're probably in sad shape after sitting around in the rafters of the garage exposed to the cold temps of our often brutal winters and then the sometimes equally brutal heat waves of our summers
    Usually, the issue is not storage conditions, it's usage. Many people treated their vinyl like crap in their younger days and they're scratched to hell as a result of abuse.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Usually, the issue is not storage conditions, it's usage. Many people treated their vinyl like crap in their younger days and they're scratched to hell as a result of abuse.
    yeah not sure about how scratched up they might be either...maybe one of these days I should invest in a USB turntable to play them

Annoyed collects dust, don't believe otherwise.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Annoyed collects dust, don't believe otherwise.
    I have a fine collection of dust bunnies too... The louder my sister sneezes, the more I know the collection has grown.

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

yeah not sure about how scratched up they might be either...maybe one of these days I should invest in a USB turntable to play them
    Pfft. You can't buy a good turntable these days for a reasonable price. I know, I tried. Maybe you can for a couple of thousand dollars, but that's too rich for my blood.

I've got 2 identical Technics semi-automatic turntables, one of which I bought new back in '81 or so and the other came out of a garage sale, in very good condition. I've got good audio-technica cartridges on both, and both of them sound better than a professional grade Stanton I bought about 5 years back, even if I put one of the good cartridges in it. Seems the integrated pre-amp & electronics (which the Technics units do not have) screw the signal up somehow.

If you ask me, if you want to get a decent turntable, start hunting garage sales and the used market.

I've got 2 identical Technics semi-automatic turntables, one of which I bought new back in '81 or so..
    ^^ has a turntable which is older than me.

If you ask me, if you want to get a decent turntable, start hunting garage sales and the used market.
    What he says.

^^ has a turntable which is older than me.
    Well, it's only fitting. If you look at the music thread, most of what I listen to is older than you, too.

Staff Sergeant Bad Wolf the Artist's Avatar
    Hopefully somewhere near a bathroom and coffee!

I have a fine collection of dust bunnies too... The louder my sister sneezes, the more I know the collection has grown.
    I have been accused of collecting dust bunnies. It is not that I do not want to clean, it I want a balance in life. Best way to keep me from cleaning is tell me the only thing to do is to clean.
    I like to collect art supplies. I had a good collection of plushies until some helpful person threw them out with a lot of good stuff such as a library book and an expensive watch which the only issue it had was that the battery needed to be replaced.
    Hello
    I like Daniel. Why is there not a simple heart emoji? I got a crush on Daniel. I think I always did.

I collect souls of the damned.
    Last edited by Chaka-Z0; June 20th, 2019 at 05:28 AM.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

I'm safe
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

I collect souls of the damned.
    I imagine that is quite the collection.

Probie

I collect coins, books and repetitive stress injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by rmlulich View Post
    I collect coins, books and repetitive stress injuries.
    That's an interesting collection.