The Canon of The Orville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Canon of The Orville

I was reading an interview with Jonathan Frakes on his experience of directing episodes of The Orville.

He mentions how not only has Seth McFarlane gotten Brannon Braga as an executive producer and actors, like Jonathan Frakes, and Robert Duncan McNeill, to direct. But McFarlane also got the same Director of Photography, Marvin Rush.

He also got John Debney, who composed music for DS9 and TNG.

David A. Goodman who was a consulting producer on Star Trek: Enterprise after being an co-executive producer on Futurama. He write one episode of Futurama, a parody of Star Trek, and later wrote 4 episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise due to the Futurama episode he wrote.

It's just amazing how much support The Orville has gotten from the Star Trek alumni. Based on Family Guy episodes where Star Trek actors appeared, I could tell Seth was utilizing the connections he made then for The Orville.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Which brings me to this quote from the interview:
    Orville doesn’t have Star Trek’s canon, but it has its own canon and its own set of rules and those rules are part of what the audience, the producers, the directors, and the actors count on. So, on both shows the world is essential.
    The Orville is not Star Trek and has it's own canon. But I feel like it lifts a lot from Star Trek. FTL seems similar to Trek, but they are not likely to go into detail of the mechanics like Trek did.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they have touched on transportation technology. It may be due wanting to create a bigger hurdle for folks off the ship that need to get back.

I feel like the physics are largely the same. They only had two/three time travel episodes, but I think the last one is the only one that sets the rule of cause and effect with time travel.

The structure of the Union is clearly similar to Star Fleet, if not the Federation. One key point, instead of having Star Fleet and the Federation as two separate but connected entities, they just have the Union. One organization.

Which seems to me to think that Union planets don't have their militaries fall under the Union but get dissolved and all (or most) of its resources transferred into the Union.

I think where the Orville diverges from Trek is how people (human or alien) talk to each other. It's less of them putting up a public face and more the attitude regular folks have on the job. Additionally, the galactic relations of different governments and planets is a bit more grey than Trek, in my opinion.

Anyone else have any thoughts about the canon or how Trek influences The Orville?
    Last edited by Mrja84; 19 June 2019, 05:45 PM.

To me The Orville feels like a Star Trek show that couldn't get the rights to make a Star Trek show, so they took everything they had and shifted everything just far enough to one side that they don't get sued for copyright infringement.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think that, despite its shift, it is still a great homage to the original stuff.

I'm super happy it got a third season and it's fun watching the parts that, despite my ignorance of Trek, scream "WE ARE HAVING FUN WITH TREK STUFF HERE!"
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X