What can be considered "sci-fi" in the Star Trek universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can be considered "sci-fi" in the Star Trek universe

I know I’m waffling between Star Wars or Star Trek. Sorry. I just can’t decide which one to write my fan fic about. I want to write about a scientist who takes a crazy sci-fi idea and then try’s to invent it. He’s sorta like a Rock Sanchez-type character. If he lived in the Trek universe where teleportation, time travel, FTL, matter replication, advanced robotics and omnipotent superbeings are NOT sci fi, they are reality ; what would be left that would be still be considered in the realm of imagination or fantasy? He would want to strive for creating that even though everyone regards him as “crazy”. Which he is (lol).

and omnipotent superbeings
    You could pull a Stargate and have him try to invent a machine that that will allow humans to evolve into omnipotent super beings before their time. Although a familiar concept within the Stargate universe, someone claiming that he's going to turn humans into Q-like beings in the "here and now" would come across as insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximum7 View Post
      I know I’m waffling between Star Wars or Star Trek. Sorry. I just can’t decide which one to write my fan fic about. I want to write about a scientist who takes a crazy sci-fi idea and then try’s to invent it. He’s sorta like a Rock Sanchez-type character. If he lived in the Trek universe where teleportation, time travel, FTL, matter replication, advanced robotics and omnipotent superbeings are NOT sci fi, they are reality ; what would be left that would be still be considered in the realm of imagination or fantasy? He would want to strive for creating that even though everyone regards him as “crazy”. Which he is (lol).
      That depends entirely on whether you're speaking from just the point of view of humanity or the galaxy as a whole. For humanity and the rest of the Federation, things like Artificial wormholes, subspace beaming, telekenisis, functional travel between dimensions/parrallel universes etc are all pretty out-there concepts. But the universe in Star Trek is also Ancient. There are Energy beings that have far more knowledge than any human, Vulcan, Klingon or Andorian ever would. And Ancient Civilizations that achieved far more power and prestige than the Federation is likely capable of. So I would argue that if you want him to have a truly original idea that there is no chance that anyone in the history of the Universe has ever thought of doing... Well that's a big ask.

If you are just talking within recent local history of the main humanoid races that are out there then you have such better chance. The main worlds and races in the Trek universe are surprisingly low-tier compared with a lot of other sci-fi.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

What would a sci-fi writer be like in the far future, say in Star Wars time? or in Dune's time - 10191? That's like asking what people do in heaven? fighting evil?

Comment

Working...
        X