Chernobyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chernobyl

Jesus christ this miniseries is incredible. I can't believe tehre is only one episode left.

Anyone else watching it? It's not for the feint of heart.
    sigpic

Id seen it advertised but havent managed to get around to it yet

Comment

Started watching it last week. It is so good. I k ow a lot about Chernobyl already, and while they take a few liberties with actual facts it does a great job of making it all seem as deadly and horrifying as it actually was.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I haven't yet heard a bad thing about this, just not sure where I can watch it. I'll add it to the neverending list!
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

HBO! (or any streaming service that can add it)

For the people who have seen episode 4

https://twitter.com/BlackSheepFF/sta...93134744252416

And also
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
            HBO! (or any streaming service that can add it)
            I don't even have cable, dude, never mind the $15/month on top of basic cable that they'd charge me to get HBO
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Would be WELL worth the 1 week free trial. You could also throw in Band of Brothers, Pacific, Night Of...etc...Make the most of it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                Started watching it last week. It is so good. I k ow a lot about Chernobyl already, and while they take a few liberties with actual facts it does a great job of making it all seem as deadly and horrifying as it actually was.
                Exactly my thoughts.

Honestly this miniseries is beyond reproach.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I highly recommend checking out the accompanying podcast on YouTube. There is so much accompanying historical knowledge in it.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Anybody watched the finale already?

I enjoyed the "dumbing it down for us" part, I already knew a lot about the incident but understanding it is something else. In retrospective this incident goes to show how mankind can willingly sacrifice for the greater good, more often than not those people are on the lower level of society, miners and workers.

For the show itself, I really appreciated that they did not try to fake Russian accents and stayed within an English confine, I think it gives much more liberty to the cast and make the series look less like a half-assed parody. The setup was good, the timeline wasn't confusing and again the cast was awesome especially Jared Harris, perfect choice.

My favorite part of the finale was the scene after the flashbacks (scientists: "we did everything right"). It was great to see what was the actual meaning of this line compared to the 1st episode.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

That finale was amazing.

Top notch programming by HBO. I hope we see further such historical miniseries.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                        That finale was amazing.

Top notch programming by HBO. I hope we see further such historical miniseries.
                        HBO has a dynamite track record for historical/period series, both miniseries and ongoing shows.
                        Last edited by DigiFluid; 06 June 2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Yeah...still waiting on that Lewis and Clark miniseries, as well as the new WWII one...
                          Last edited by Gen. Chris; 06 June 2019, 12:27 PM. Reason: LEWIS not Louis. I ALWAYS make that mistake.
                          sigpic

Comment

The history of the world, according to HBO:

50-31 BC Rome
                            1579-1601 Elizabeth I
                            1605 Gunpowder
                            1770-1826 John Adams
                            1876-1877 Deadwood
                            1910s Parade's End
                            1920-1931 Boardwalk Empire
                            1930s Mildred Pierce
                            1934-1935 Carnivale
                            1942-1945 Band of Brothers
                            1942-1945 The Pacific
                            1958-1972 From the Earth to the Moon
                            1973 Vinyl
                            1985 Angels in America
                            1986 Chernobyl
                            1999 The Corner
                            1999 Show Me A Hero
                            2000 Empire Falls
                            2003 Generation Kill
                            1979-2003 House of Saddam
                            2004 Tsunami: The Aftermath
                            2005-2007 Treme
                            2002-2008 The Wire
                            2012-2014 The Newsroom
                            2014 The Night Of
                            2018 Sharp Objects

What a wild shared universe

Comment

I won't watch this show as it has already made me emotionally upset. My Hungarian hometown (Nyíregyháza) is close to Ukraine, so I am pretty sure we had our radiation dose in 1986. My older colleagues said that strawberrry was really cheap at that summer. And since we haven't known about for weeks what has happened and even if they say the opposite, somehow there are more cancer cases in Middle Europe and East Europe (Belorussia, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania). And it is not just about unhealthy eating or drinking habits, but I believe the Chernobyl catastrophie played a role in the spreading of cancer, asthma and allergy cases.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X