Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chernobyl

Default Re: Chernobyl

Absolutely, to everything you said.

It's rather a chilling reminder that nuclear power is dangerous, even in hands that you'd otherwise assume were qualified to handle it. Mistakes happen. Carelessness happens. And then entire continents face the consequences.

Not-so-subtle reminder that nobody should be championing war between nuclear-armed nations, ever. Compared to nuclear weapons, the Chernobyl disaster that dumped radioactive fallout all across Europe barely measures as a blip. That should terrify everyone.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Yep. Also worth to mention that even though the pro-nuclear crowd keeps saying that it's safe, nothing like that can happen well...

How do you prevent a catastrophe if you enter war with another nation? I hardly doubt those nuclear reactors are missile-proof.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

I still support nulcear plants, but there always can be a human or a natural disaster factor in any plants. You can also not place water dams, wind mills and solar energy everywhere, because those can also hirt the local wildlife. Nothing will change until we have oil and carbon. When humanity will run out of them in 2100-2200, then they will place alternate energy resources everywhere. Once I have read an article if they would cover the Sahara with solar panels with a similar size as Hungary, then the energy need of the whole Europe could be covered. But as I have said no OPEC countries will autorize such things and they would rather attack those places as long as they can sell their oil.

We should be worried about those countries who have got atomic bombs in an ongoing ideological, territorial or ethnical war (like Pakistan, India, North Korea), which can lead to the extension of humanity if the wrong people push the wrong buttons in the wrong situations.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    I still support nulcear plants, but there always can be a human or a natural disaster factor in any plants. You can also not place water dams, wind mills and solar energy everywhere, because those can also hirt the local wildlife. Nothing will change until we have oil and carbon. When humanity will run out of them in 2100-2200, then they will place alternate energy resources everywhere. Once I have read an article if they would cover the Sahara with solar panels with a similar size as Hungary, then the energy need of the whole Europe could be covered. But as I have said no OPEC countries will autorize such things and they would rather attack those places as long as they can sell their oil.

We should be worried about those countries who have got atomic bombs in an ongoing ideological, territorial or ethnical war (like Pakistan, India, North Korea), which can lead to the extension of humanity if the wrong people push the wrong buttons in the wrong situations.
    The way I see it, those projections fail on one aspect: we won't get that far (2100-2200) if we keep using fossil fuels, humanity will fade before we reach that point.

Some say it's a good transition tech, I don't agree: it leaves a major stain on the environment for tens of thousand of years and generates tons of radioactive trash that are not as of now always properly disposed of. Also contrary to every single other type of industry, when nuclear goes bad it can literally kill us all.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Great. I have edited my post while my PC was crashing on me.

Nobody knows what the future holds. I am pretty sure that soon it or later they will fight for the resources under the Artic Ocean or under the ice of the Antarctis. If there are mountains, I am sure there must be some minerals too. But humanity should stop the overpopulation at first and overhunt of animals, but anyway this is off-topic here. We have to believe that humanity could work together for a bigger goal :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall
    So if they want to replace the nuclear plants, then they should really transform the Sahara into oasis / savannah and plant as many solar panels as they can. I am sure the climate change could be reversed. Since nobody lives there, it wouldn't hurt anyone. Just the sand could be a problem and how the panels could be cleaned. But I am sure they can find a mechanical method or develop a robot for such harsh environments.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

I've seen three episodes so far, and it's riveting. First time in a long time that a TV show or movie has affected my dreams/nightmares.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg