New films coming 2022, 2024, 2026

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New films coming 2022, 2024, 2026

Disney announced their release schedule for the next few years today, and it came with a bit of a surprise: despite Bob Iger recently saying that Star Wars films would be taking a bit of a break after the release of Episode IX....turns out that "break" is only going to be three years. Then we'll be back to having a new film every other Christmas:

Dec 16 2022
    Dec 20 2024
    Dec 18 2026

No word on what the movies are yet, and I'm guessing it'll be a while before anything is revealed.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

My own guess is that this will be Rian Johnson's standalone trilogy. The only other announced/confirmed movies are the 'series' from David Benioff & DB Weiss, who until very recently have been hard at work on Game of Thrones. Meanwhile, Johnson already has nearly a year and a half breathing space post-TLJ.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

filling the in between years with an aVATAR trilogy. are they done with SW's anthology films?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...182530771.html

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        My own guess is that this will be Rian Johnson's standalone trilogy. The only other announced/confirmed movies are the 'series' from David Benioff & DB Weiss, who until very recently have been hard at work on Game of Thrones. Meanwhile, Johnson already has nearly a year and a half breathing space post-TLJ.
        I liked that Johnson was willing to take risks and do new stuff, although i don't think the decision was great to have it follow JJ Abrahams, the guy who has been trying to make every movie a star wars movie.

So i really hope that with some creative freedom and his own trilogy he can do something truly cool.

Not hyped about D&D, unless they adapt the stuff of an actual writer. Game of Thrones S8 is not... very good.

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
          filling the in between years with an aVATAR trilogy. are they done with SW's anthology films?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...182530771.html
          Not sure, but it kind of looks like it. There were supposed to be three Anthology/A Star Wars Story films, but the one that Josh Trank got fired from just seems to have vanished and no further standalone films have been announced.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            I liked that Johnson was willing to take risks and do new stuff, although i don't think the decision was great to have it follow JJ Abrahams, the guy who has been trying to make every movie a star wars movie.
            I think we might've been discussing this in one of the other threads, but my problem with the sequel trilogy is that there's a total lack of an overriding vision. If they wanted to tell one grand story across three films, they needed to have someone sit down and lay down the key story points of beginning/middle/end, and then invite directors in to make each 1/3 of the story their own. This approach of 'it's a trilogy but all three films are free to do what they like' has been very, very detrimental to any sense of overall story. Say what you will about the prequel trilogy, but at least George had a vision that he followed across multiple films.

Which brings me to Rian Johnson... From what I have heard, he pretty well had the entire script for TLJ done and ready to go before Force Awakens was even done, so it was the story he was going to tell no matter what.

While I didn't love TLJ as an entry in the ongoing Episode # saga, I do still think it's a very well put-together film, and a very well put-together Star Wars film. So despite my TLJ misgivings, I am still very interested to see what he does when he has a trilogy all to himself and can lay all the pieces out as he likes, without worry of fitting into anyone else's story.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            Not hyped about D&D, unless they adapt the stuff of an actual writer. Game of Thrones S8 is not... very good.
            Yeeeahhhhhh. I threw in the towel on GOT in Season 6 for pretty much exactly the reasons you say. I'm very, very wary of them touching Star Wars.

Comment

I am actually curious of the TOR series, is it going to be a trilogy of actual movies or a full on animated TV series ? These release dates go hand in hand with te ending of GoT and the show runners there moving headfirst into Star Wars universe

From what I recall, GoT show runners treated the sahow, each episode in fact, like a full blown movie. since its HBO hosted there are no commericals, so each episode is infact a mini movie at 60 minutes long {to me a proper movie is AT LEAST 80 minutes long}

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

What? There's no canon Old Republic series/movie.

Comment

Keyword there Digi is YET, there was talks concerning the GoT showrunners doing a TOR/Old Republic time period of films/tv series. I am guessing this upcoming trilogy as many now call it, is that possible time period

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

if only could ( i know they could financially, the issue is if they would more likely) pursue a two track system

have these new trilogies AND pursue the stand alone films

ROGUE 1 was a perfect example of what I would like to see; SOLO was on the low end and what they can stay away from

both tracks would make money

Comment

I don’t know, I think the problem was/is oversaturation. Solo wasn’t an event movie, but then it wasn’t trying to be. It was still solid movie in its own right, but it performed poorly because it was released just 5 months after TLJ.

I like the idea of doing two tracks, ongoing story and standalone stories, but I don’t know if there’s a good way to do it while keeping audience engagement high.

Comment

Looks like I’m dead wrong on one thing already; these films (or at least the first one) actually will be the Benioff/Weiss films.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/...ll-be-by-game/

Let’s hope they don’t get bored halfway through and rush to the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Looks like I’m dead wrong on one thing already; these films (or at least the first one) actually will be the Benioff/Weiss films.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/...ll-be-by-game/

Let’s hope they don’t get bored halfway through and rush to the finish line.
                          yeah, GOT hardcore fas are giving them a lot of heavy heat for season 8

lots of got 'hopes and dreams' and theories have been crushed

i think its funny

these two guys have gotten the nickname of 'd and d' or 'dumb and dumber' as both of their first names start with D

oh, the anger

let's hope they are much more concerned with impressing their Disney paymasters then their HBO ones. and, i would think that SW's as a whole has far more fans then GoT does

hopefully by next May 4th we will get some idea of a story line--will it be based on something already in book form?

----------------------------------

BTW-- (and normally i would PM this but i still apparently do not have those 'powers') do you have any interest in the new amazon original series based on Tolkien's work? the media calls it a lord of the rings sequel/prequel mostly because most do not realize that Lotr's and Hobbit are just two parts of the whole story

kind of like SWs that way--so many stories that could be made....

Comment

We do actually have a thread for that over here on the General SF/F board. It's not all that active at the moment, since there's no show yet, but I've been updating it whenever I see news. I'm pretty interested to see what comes of it!

Comment

Here's some interesting speculation: what if the Rian Johnson and Benioff/Weiss films are actually the same trilogy?

The article first notes:

A) When the Rian Johnson trilogy was announced in November 2017, the statement said "Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce."

B) When the Benioff/Weiss films were announced in February 2018, the statement said "will write and produce a new series," without actually specifying how many movies, how involved, etc. The article also observes that Benioff/Weiss really don't have much directorial experience, having done only a handful of shorts and 3 episodes of GOT, so directing a Star Wars movie would be a big jump.

So the article speculates - what if there are actually only three films here, not 6+? What if it's a case of Rian Johnson writing/producing/directing the first film with Benioff/Weiss along for the ride to learn everything the need to know, for films 2 and 3 where Johnson steps back from directing and just does the writing/producing, while they pick up directing?
                              Last edited by DigiFluid; 15 May 2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X