No announcement yet.

The Iron Throne (806)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gendry was uninvolved in the summoning of the shadow being (that was between the witch & Stannis only)

but several other things went un-mentioned

like Jon Snow's true heritage why wasn't it brought up at the council
    even Greyworm's attitude may have changed if he knew Jon & Dany were related by blood
    so far only Bran Sam Tyrion Sansa & Arya know about it
    and Arya's now irrelevant (btw what exactly was her purpose after the battle of Winterfell? she could've been killed at the same time as the Night King & it wouldn't have changed the plot)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      Gendry was uninvolved in the summoning of the shadow being (that was between the witch & Stannis only)

but several other things went un-mentioned

like Jon Snow's true heritage why wasn't it brought up at the council
      even Greyworm's attitude may have changed if he knew Jon & Dany were related by blood
      so far only Bran Sam Tyrion Sansa & Arya know about it
      and Arya's now irrelevant (btw what exactly was her purpose after the battle of Winterfell? she could've been killed at the same time as the Night King & it wouldn't have changed the plot)
      Greyworm wouldn't have cared about Jon's bloodline one iota. Even if Tyrion and the others had revealed it to the council it wouldn't have changed anything. Greyworm would not have released him and the council would have run the risk of prolonging the war. And that is in fact assuming the Council would have been any happier following him after the revelation too. They'd already seen one Targaryen wipe out King's landing and most of the lords were old enough to remember the Mad King threatening to do the same. They may have been willing to follow Jon as a Stark, but possibly less willing to follow him after the revelation that he is a Targaryen. That goes double for the North who were already wary of him after bending the knee to Dany.

I think Arya's arc, while rushed at the end is pretty clear. She is one of the few people who actively kills people for personal gain (revenge in her case) who does not then get killed herself. GoT is filled with characters who are obsessed with one thing or another and then usually end up killing as part of that obsession (a few exceptions. Ned Stark had an obsession with honour at all costs and got the same comeuppance). Arya had that obsession, and would have likely died if like Clegane had pursued her vengeance but then changed her mind at the last moment. Essentially breaking the cycle of violence that so many characters in Westeros are locked in.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Greyworm wouldn't have cared about Jon's bloodline one iota. Even if Tyrion and the others had revealed it to the council it wouldn't have changed anything. Greyworm would not have released him and the council would have run the risk of prolonging the war. And that is in fact assuming the Council would have been any happier following him after the revelation too. They'd already seen one Targaryen wipe out King's landing and most of the lords were old enough to remember the Mad King threatening to do the same. They may have been willing to follow Jon as a Stark, but possibly less willing to follow him after the revelation that he is a Targaryen. That goes double for the North who were already wary of him after bending the knee to Dany.

I think Arya's arc, while rushed at the end is pretty clear. She is one of the few people who actively kills people for personal gain (revenge in her case) who does not then get killed herself. GoT is filled with characters who are obsessed with one thing or another and then usually end up killing as part of that obsession (a few exceptions. Ned Stark had an obsession with honour at all costs and got the same comeuppance). Arya had that obsession, and would have likely died if like Clegane had pursued her vengeance but then changed her mind at the last moment. Essentially breaking the cycle of violence that so many characters in Westeros are locked in.
        but to Greyworm Jon's just an outsider right?

and why didn't Arya try to kill Dany after telling Jon she was a danger (when she sneaks up on him right after Dany leaves (that scene too felt pointless))

Comment

GoT is filled with characters who are obsessed with one thing or another and then usually end up killing as part of that obsession (a few exceptions. Ned Stark had an obsession with honour at all costs and got the same comeuppance). Arya had that obsession, and would have likely died if like Clegane had pursued her vengeance but then changed her mind at the last moment. Essentially breaking the cycle of violence that so many characters in Westeros are locked in.
          Exactly. I have noticed the same that most of the characters suffer from such losses or death which were important for their character or story arc :

- Ned : man of honour - lost his life being betrayed his trust
          - Tywin : dignity - dies on the toilet
          - Theon : enjoying life - lost his favorite toy
          - Ramsay : hunting people with dogs - killed by his own dogs
          - Jamie : one of the best sword fighter - lost his hand
          - Cersei : pride - she dies without pride
          - Little Finger : master of conspiracy - being fooled with his own mind tricks
          - Lady Olenna : poisining - died by poison
          etc.

Sometimes I have felt that even the fate of their wolf puppets followed their owners:
          - Sansa's wolf was killed in captivity as part of power play
          - Jon's wolf is loyal, but also free
          - Arya's wolf is released and nobody knows where she is
          - Rickon's wolf was captured and killed
          - Robb's wolf was killed in captivity as part of a conspiration
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I agree with Platschu, the deaths in GoT are well thought out. Just adding my 2 cents to the list

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            - Ned : man of honour - lost his life being betrayed his trust
            Also continues the ''North curse'' : Every Stark that voyaged south died in some way or another.

- Tywin : dignity - dies on the toilet
            Also a reference to the common saying in Westoros ''Tywin Lannister is so rich he ****s gold''

- Little Finger : master of conspiracy - being fooled with his own mind tricks
            Well for this one I thought it was a bit stupid how he died in the show, waiting to see his true faith in the books, I assume he'll die but perhaps not in such a stupid way.

- Arya's wolf is released and nobody knows where she is
            Nymeria is in the Godswood leading a pack of frenzied wolves, it was briefly hinted in the show but this arc got discarded I guess due to lack of screen time (and CGI costs of course).
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Yeah... So Nymeria's fate is similar to Arya, who also gone "berserk".

By the way... I have finished the story with a bit more dramatic ending:
              - Arya tried to kill the face of Grey Worm to kill Dany, but she is knocked from behind. Her hands are tightened behind her head. Jon executes "him" as an order from Dany, so Arya would have died as noone. Jon has got mad when he realized he killed his own sister (cousin)
              - Tyrion would have put wildfire under the main square, so as his final act he would have killed all the Dothraki and Unsullied instantly, so Dany would have left alone with her dragon
              - Jon is killed by the dragon, but he managed to hurt Dany at least
              - Dany would have flown back to destroy Winterfell and punish Sansa and the rebelling Jon
              - Bran would have warged Drogon to fly him to Essos and to keep Westeros safe while Dany is on the back of the dragon. And when the dragon dies he also would have died
              - Dany lands in the middle of the grassland of Essos where the "ghost grass" would consume her completly, but she would be reunited with Khal Drogo and her son
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

WIth Nymeria and Arya, when they ran into each other last season I think, one way to interpret that encounter was the wolf going ‘yeah, it’s you, you’re fine, you don’t need me, bye now’
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

yeah that scene was meant to provide closure (that's how I immediately interpreted it tbh)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    WIth Nymeria and Arya, when they ran into each other last season I think, one way to interpret that encounter was the wolf going ‘yeah, it’s you, you’re fine, you don’t need me, bye now’
                    Arya's character in a nutshell. That's what's cool about the wolves, like Platschu pointed out.
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

so why's Arya flying the wolf sail? it's like she's showing she's an envoy of house Stark or something - but this contradicts the fact she's getting away from house & family & not interested in titles ("that's not me")
                      so which is it?

Comment

so why's Arya flying the wolf sail? it's like she's showing she's an envoy of house Stark or something - but this contradicts the fact she's getting away from house & family & not interested in titles ("that's not me")
                        so which is it?
                        It's bad writing.

Though I have no problems with her representing the Starks.
                        sigpic

Comment

If Drogon is flying to the east, while Arya is sailing to the west, what if they meet soon it or later?!

Comment

so which is it?
                            Why is it so binary? She never said she didn’t want to be a Stark. She never said she didn’t want to have a title of some kind. She simply doesn’t want to settle down and become a typical noble lady. She still loves her family and her House. She just feels her path is elsewhere, but she’s still proud of where she comes from. That was part of her arc in coming back to Westeros. A girl has a name. A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Exactly. She just isn’t set to be the dignified lady of the house. SHe’s not the kind to settle down, make a proper marriage, and pop out kids like expected. She wants to explore and adventure. So she’s not denying her heritage, just society’s expectations of how she - a female - should act.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Why is it so binary? She never said she didn’t want to be a Stark. She never said she didn’t want to have a title of some kind. She simply doesn’t want to settle down and become a typical noble lady. She still loves her family and her House. She just feels her path is elsewhere, but she’s still proud of where she comes from. That was part of her arc in coming back to Westeros. A girl has a name. A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell.
                                Part would be the correct choice of word. Still unsure why they completely tossed the whole faceless man arc aside, I guess lack of time, they did wrap up three major arcs in 6 epi (Dany - NK - Cersei). But yea, Arya pretty much wanted to become ''no one'' only to get rid of the people on her list and get revenge for her house, the Starks of Winterfell. In the books it's quite clear that is the one thing she holds on to the whole time and has the hardest time to let go.

Arya - no one - can't stay no one - Arya - buh-bye

On another note, I've actually read the interview transcript (entertainment weekly and D&D). They claim they've been planning the ending since S03-4 and had it all planned out.
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X