• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Long Night (803)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON EIGHT
    THE LONG NIGHT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 803
    The war against the dead reaches a critical moment as the Night King and his army arrive at Winterfell, where an unlikely alliance of people lay down their lives for one another -- and for the future of the Seven Kingdoms.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 11 May 2019, 09:26 PM.

Holy crud what an ending

ANd I gotta yell...we were right!

killing the night king kills them all

Poor Jorah, but he died defending his khaleesi. And theon got his redemption

the other deaths are kinda up in the air. We see them fall but no real confirmation of Jamie or Brianne.

Now to take on the psycho in king’s landing
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

What. An. Episode! The below probably doesnt make sense as its just a jumbled collection of thoughts.

This episode flowed well with some much needed breathers to break up the action. There's so much to say about this episode. The gradual build up to the start, the Dothraki fire swords and slaughter, the first wave, the siege, the last stand and the eventual victory.

So, who is left standing? Was quite hard following some of the deaths as there were so many times we saw someone get overwhelmed but then a few minutes later back fighting. I honestly thought we might just see pretty much everyone die.

Didnt we see Jamie at the end? Noticed a couple of people at the end. Enjoyed the token 10/15 seconds of Ghost at the start but then he disappeared, another unknown.

Slightly disappointed we didnt learn more about the Night Kings plan but hes not much of a talker is he...

Definately going to need to rewatch this one and we'll have to wait for next week for confirmation on some of the unknowns but looking forward to whats next!

Why do I get the feeling though that this might be the best episode of the season? Rest of the season is going to be epic if it tops this!
      Last edited by Teddybrown; 29 April 2019, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Well I found it pretty hectic & confusing.

Of necessity it had to be shot at night for effect (blazing swords look better in the dark) which did not make for clarity on who went down & stayed down.
        Coupled with that was the number of 'heros' all spread around, and causing continuity problems as the cameras switched from one to another and back again, or on to yet another one(?) or not (?).
        I was not expecting Arya to be the one to kill the Knight King, I thought it would have been Jon.

Now we have to wait with mounting anticipation to see who has actually survived. Maybe if Mellisandra had have stayed instead of going walkabout she could have brought a few back to life.
        http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

so dragonfire can't kill the night king but dragonsteel can? w/e (hope GRRM will be more consistent in the books)

the dothraki come across as the main heroes they were the first to charge head-on into the unknown & basically laughed at death
          (even if sending them ahead was strategically stupid)
          Last edited by SoulReaver; 29 April 2019, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Not a surprise to see Dany, Jon, Tyrion in the promo for next week, so we know those survived (and kinda already knew they were alive)

Jorah - Dead
            Sam - alive
            Tormand - unknown
            Ghost - alive
            Dany - Alive
            Jon - alive
            Brianne - unknown
            Pod - unknown
            Gendry - unknown
            Sansa - alive
            Davos - alive
            Red witch - dead (or whatever it is with her, she finished her tasks and left the world basically)
            Grey Worm - unknown
            Tyrion - alive
            Jamie - unknown
            Bran - alive
            Hound - unknown
            Theon - most likely dead, seemed to be a mortal wound
            Varys - alive
            Lyanna Mormont - dead (took out a dragon, good girl, feisty little thing)
            One eye dude (Beric?) - dead
            Arya - alive and killed the freaking night king....you go girl
            Gilly and little Sam - likely alive

I get why they shot at night for the effect - and think of all the money they saved by being able to hide special effects with darkness - but it made it danged hard to keep track of who was where and doing what

So while the show may zoom onto the last battle part of next week will be confirming who is alive, who is dead and who is wounded.

it was an incredibly tense hour (and yes, I hid my eyes behind my hand while Arya ran from the zombies) and just zoomed by. Thank goodness they didn’t pull a cliff hanger because the whole world would have been in an uproar.

Interesting that the Night King is immune to dragon fire, yet his followers are not. Someone wondered as to his origin and if he was a Targaryen. Makes me wonder if there will be a horrible twist at the end of the series
            Spoiler:
            what if cersei is killed, but somehow revived, to be a blue eyed cloaked figure, walking her way to the north to hide and gather strength, that maybe becoming the Night King (or queen) is the curse of the iron throne?

Killing the Night King did seem kinda anti climactic, yet was necessary, There simply is not enough dragon fire out there to kill all the zombies.

It makes me wonder if it’s a cyclical thing....men fight and leave dead around, the Night King can recruit followers. Yet if men live peacefully there is no army to recruit. In other words, men (and women) and the wars they fight help to make the Long Night.

I need to watch it again, and maybe turn up the brightness of my TV to see if I can see more.
            Last edited by Skydiver; 29 April 2019, 05:30 AM.

sigpic

Comment

btw did Ghost survive?

Comment

Unknown. Saw him running into battle and that’s it. No confirmation of death or life.

Heck I don’t think I even saw him attacking anyone.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                  btw did Ghost survive?
                  Well... he went in Jorah and the Dothraki and didn’t come out again.

In fact is anyone else realising that Ghost is to Jon as Jorah is to Dany? I mean faithful companion. Often ignored. Keeps showing up to prove himself and defend him from harm. Gets supplanted by other pets *ahem* companions constantly ie. Sam, Ygritte, Davos, a mother-flippin dragon.

Anyway. Great episode. Guessing it was physically arduous on all the actors but at least they didn’t have to learn many lines.

The thing that really kept coming into my mind throughout was all the legends and battle stories we were constantly told about throughout the first few seasons and how all the characters reacted to them. Arya in particular and how she loved the old Targaryen legends and so on. And now she will be one among the others. Arya the Night King Slayer. Lady Mormont the Fierce. Jon Stark the Targaryen Wolf (maybe). Jorah the Loyal. Grey Worm the Protector. In a thousand years so many of them will be remembered in the same way as the great heroes in their legends and will again all the pain and the screaming and anguish will be just blurred away so that they’ll be larger than life.

I do love the stuff with Tyrion and Sansa. The show began with the desire to join two houses together and it looks like it’ll probably happen after all. I don’t think Sansa loves Tyrion but she clearly has affection for him, and as we know in Westeros that is enough to make peace.

I wonder what will happen with Bran now. Surely he doesn’t really have a role now the Night King is dead. Unless there is more for us to learn.

I don’t think any of the others are dead other than Beric, Jorah, Lady Mormont And Theon.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    Well... he went in Jorah and the Dothraki and didn’t come out again.
                    strike that

after combing through the ep4 preview:

Spoiler:
                    good dog

Comment

btw I've also another idea why Drogon's fire was ineffective whereas Arya's ancient dragonsteel dagger wasn't

the Night King is extremely ancient & Drogon's fire simply ain't hot enough unlike the dragons of old from the heydays of the Valyrian civilisation like Balerion the Dread whose fire burnt so hot it was black

another possibility is that "dragonfire is just normal fire not magical it which also fits with dragons being just animals that spit fire but still age like any other animal (this ain't LOTR where dragons are immortal)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        Not a surprise to see Dany, Jon, Tyrion in the promo for next week, so we know those survived (and kinda already knew they were alive)

Jorah - Dead
                        Sam - unknown - Alive in the above
                        Tormand - unknown - Pretty sure he was standing at the end. EDIT hes in the spoilered picture above
                        Ghost - unknown Apparently hes in the trailer for next episode but I havent watched
                        Dany - Alive
                        Jon - alive
                        Brianne - unknown
                        Pod - unknown
                        Gendry - unknown
                        Sansa - alive
                        Davos - alive
                        Red witch - dead (or whatever it is with her, she finished her tasks and left the world basically)
                        Grey Worm - unknown - Pretty sure hes alive at the end EDIT hes one of the torch bearers above
                        Tyrion - alive
                        Jamie - unknown
                        Bran - alive
                        Hound - unknown - Didnt he come out with the Red witch?
                        Theon - most likely dead, seemed to be a mortal wound
                        Varys - unknown but likely alive - He was with Sansa/Tyrionn at the end
                        Lyanna Mormont - dead (took out a dragon, good girl, feisty little thing) - Didnt she take out a giant?
                        One eye dude (Beric?) - dead
                        Arya - alive and killed the freaking night king....you go girl
                        Gilly and little Sam - likely alive - Think Gilly was one of the ones who died in the crypt
                        Ed (Nights Watch guy)- Dead

Dont see Jamie/Brienne/Pod in the above.
                        I agree that this was a damn hard episode to keep track of people.

I also wondered about the Night King being Targarean.

How strong do you think their force is now that the Dothraki are pretty much gone and probably most of the Unsullied. Wonder if Cersei will mount a counter attack with her new hired army?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                          I agree that this was a damn hard episode to keep track of people.

I also wondered about the Night King being Targarean.
                          even when Dany survives fire her clothes still burn off

it's almost like the NK created some sort of deflector shield around himself (but that's just the Star Trek/Star Wars fan talking)

How strong do you think their force is now that the Dothraki are pretty much gone and probably most of the Unsullied. Wonder if Cersei will mount a counter attack with her new hired army?
                          dont know how many dothraki survived (not many for sure) but she still has 2 dragons that beats any army
                          and they still have a ninja who can just sneak up behind enemy ranks

Comment

You’re right, sorry, Lyanna took out a giant (long night, not enough sleep)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              You’re right, sorry, Lyanna took out a giant (long night, not enough sleep)
                              No worries, I just happened to watch that bit again just now. Still trying to piece together everything.

Is it me or was there many a time when a character seemed to be swarmed by the dead and screaming then a few minutes later back up and fighting again. The way they swarmed the castle shouldnt they have been overwhelmed?

Comment

Working...
                              X