Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd probably get a more logical, well-reasoned reply out of the white rabbit.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Dirty Ori worshipper!!
      I'll re-snap you, see how you like being made unto dust.
      Do you know if you type just an a on Google search Endgame is the first suggestion
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        You'd probably get a more logical, well-reasoned reply out of the white rabbit.
        The difference us we can eat the rabbit. We can even have rabbit tacos
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
          It sounds like I'm about to go down a rabbit hole, but I'll give it a shot anyway...

As they've probably tried to explain to you before, you're conflating the word "theory" as we use it in our every day conversation with a "scientific theory." When a layman says he has a theory he is essentially saying he has a guess. In a conversation one person might declare, "I have a theory!" and then proceed to tell you the idea that just popped into their head.

When we refer to a theory in the context of science, we are talking about the compilation of facts and data into a substantiated explanation. For example, it is a fact that animals have evolved over time. This is not going to ever be disproved unless Descartes' musing about the world being an illusion created by an evil demon (or some variation thereof) turns out to be true. Why we call it the Theory of Evolution is because our explanation for all the intricacies of how evolution works is still being fine tuned. We have more facts to gather and data to pour through in order to complete the whole picture. Some conclusions within the theory may be based off of faulty data and may need to be corrected (e.g. we may currently think this animal evolved into that animal and it may turn out that it actually should be classified in an entirely different family), but the overarching principle that animals do evolve our time is factual and supported by mountains of evidence.
          It really must be nice to be able to redefine words to suit your liking in this discussion, for the simple reason that we cannot PROVE that climate change is mankind's doing.

Best idea we have yet = Theory, not a proven fact.

Proven fact = fact

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
          The overwhelming scientific consensus based off of careful study of all the data and facts is that this particular warming period is man made. Pointing out that there have been other periods of warming that have happened independent of human activity would be valid if scientists have not already analyzed the data and ruled that possibility out. What you are doing is offering an alternate explanation without any facts to support it and asking people to dismiss fact based conclusions because it "could" be happening for this other reason that you decided is just as valid as the reason actual scientists talk about.
          How the hell can they possibly rule out something that has been happening for thousands of years?

Never mind all the other inconsistencies to the theory, such as first it's cooling, then the data didn't bear that out, so no it's warming... Oh, no, wait a minute, we can't be sure of that either, so we'll just call it "climate change", that way our arse is covered no matter what.

And then of course is most reliable way of figuring out if some one or some people are full of shiznit or not. Follow the money.

Comment

None of which answers Xaeden's argument. Just more denial and conspiracy theories because you can't dispute facts that have been in place for centuries.

Who wants conspiracy theory bacon?
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Did you remember to make an offering to the Sentient Tacos?
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sentient tacos, boxes of crazy kitties, Digi's got an axe, Xaeden is throwing logic to a wall and the Earth is 6000 years old and I've seen some obscure endgame ref trying to spoil me. The results are in:

The 6k old Dinosaurs in consort with the sentient taco Nation are responsible for the climate changes. All theories are true. We have concensus!
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Did you remember to make an offering to the Sentient Tacos?
                  I ate the sentient tacos

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                  Sentient tacos, boxes of crazy kitties, Digi's got an axe, Xaeden is throwing logic to a wall and the Earth is 6000 years old and I've seen some obscure endgame ref trying to spoil me. The results are in:

The 6k old Dinosaurs in consort with the sentient taco Nation are responsible for the climate changes. All theories are true. We have concensus!
                  Not all theories. I refuse to live in a world where bacon divinity is not recognized. I will snap everyone who doesn't bow down to bacon right now.

*eats a pinecone*
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

We could always say that we need oxygen to live but I thought bacon was a given. I will repent now.

*Picks up the barbed whip from a drawer*
                    Spoiler:
                    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Not good enough

*boils bacon grease*
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Life tip: when making mac & cheese, use bacon grease as a substitute for butter.

Comment

Why stop there? Every recipe that calls for butter will be replaced with bacon grease. The Divine Bacon demands it
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Do you know if you type just an a on Google search Endgame is the first suggestion
                            Have you tried typing Thanos and clicking the glove?

Comment

I saw that on Friday....Google the corporation may do a lot of evil s**t, but I love that their line programmers are such nerds

Comment

I did now.

That is such a Google thing to do
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X