X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Earthers and other regressions

Regression to science, education and just general common sense

So I know it would be very easy to just ignore these people and their videos, but, it seems this movement of the 'flat earth theory' is growing around the world. but i think that to ignore these people just sends a silent message of compliance to them. we do not resist so they think more and more people agree with them

dont stop them and soon they will be gaining seats in local elections like school boards where they can set curriculum to include the flat earth theory.`

It is the assault on common sense and science that is troubling. The existence and the growth of the movement indicates a failure of our education systems (this is not just a US phenomena) and the inability of the 'mainstream' to stop it.

And, it seems to be catching on with younger people. We know younger people already have more faith in what they 'learn' o n the internet then in school.

And, lets face it, it is much easier to believe in a flat earth and its simplistic tenets then it is to comprehend and understand actual science regarding the globed Earth.

Adding to the validity of this nonsense is the fact that some celebrities and social media influencers believe in this and are spreading the nonsense

Flat Earthers also tend to believe in other conspiracies that they link to the Flat EARTH 'COVER UP'. Many are anti vaxxers. some are against male (infant) circumcision (how that is a conspiracy I am still not clear on); contrails, NASA lies, and the general refusal to accept science--like they do not believe in gravity

they also tend to believe that the Earth is only 6000 yrs old, that Dinosaurs never existed, that mountain ranges are actually 'sleeping dragons' put to rest by angels, and reject evolution

Know any other crazy stuff that seems to be gaining momentum in its numbers of believers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gHbwT_R9t0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erA3WQE9Zes

theres a big reason why its growing, people think its a meme and its funny,

some or most are A type of supremesists
    if you havent watched it yet then you wont know what the man commented on about it
    i think he does a great job summarizing how most people react with hatred etc
    and its getting worse everyday
    the world isnt improving
    well im some aspects
    but there is more hatred than there was ages ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1zyzIbGRs

title:"CBC News
    A former white supremacist reacts to New Zealand shootings"

Comment

It's not just a failing of the education system, it's a total failure of critical thinking that has affected people of many age groups.

Case in point, my father. A man in his 60s who, when I was younger, was reasonable and capable of thinking a problem through and arriving at a logical conclusion. Even when it was something I disagreed with, I could at least understand how he arrived at that conclusion. Now I hear stuff like:
      - him b**ching that the Liberals (previous provincial government) are responsible for 'hallway medicine' in hospitals (when there aren't enough rooms/beds for patients, so people are treated on gurneys in the hallways). And then last week when the new Conservative government announced a huge slash to the Toronto health budget, he thinks that's just terrific.
      - loooooves to moan about how, because of *the Liberals* schools here teach "discovery math" and how that's the worst thing imaginable....nevermind that my sister and I have been out of the public school system for 16 (me) and 12 (her) years now so he has zero experience about it, or that he was b**ching about how math was taught when I was in high school 16-20 years ago....when it was a Conservative provincial government

There's a ridiculous cognitive dissonance at work, a 'my camp vs. their camp' mentality that's taken over, which has turned otherwise (or previously) rational people into deranged, frothing-at-the-mouth morons.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It is a bizarre state of affairs isn’t it?

In some ways I can understand it to a degree. Part of the appeal of these kinds of movements is that they are places for outsiders. People who don’t fit in so easily in society. And yet there are these communities that can provide a clique for them to become a part of and make them feel like they’re “in the know.”

I highly recommend a fella on YouTube called SciMan Dan who debunks Flat Earth and a lot of other Pseudo Science videos on there. It can be pretty cringeny but it can be interesting to see the mentality of these people.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post

So I know it would be very easy to just ignore these people and their videos, but, it seems this movement of the 'flat earth theory' is growing around the world. but i think that to ignore these people just sends a silent message of compliance to them. we do not resist so they think more and more people agree with them

dont stop them and soon they will be gaining seats in local elections like school boards where they can set curriculum to include the flat earth theory.`

It is the assault on common sense and science that is troubling. The existence and the growth of the movement indicates a failure of our education systems (this is not just a US phenomena) and the inability of the 'mainstream' to stop it.

And, it seems to be catching on with younger people. We know younger people already have more faith in what they 'learn' o n the internet then in school.

And, lets face it, it is much easier to believe in a flat earth and its simplistic tenets then it is to comprehend and understand actual science regarding the globed Earth.

Adding to the validity of this nonsense is the fact that some celebrities and social media influencers believe in this and are spreading the nonsense

Flat Earthers also tend to believe in other conspiracies that they link to the Flat EARTH 'COVER UP'. Many are anti vaxxers. some are against male (infant) circumcision (how that is a conspiracy I am still not clear on); contrails, NASA lies, and the general refusal to accept science--like they do not believe in gravity

they also tend to believe that the Earth is only 6000 yrs old, that Dinosaurs never existed, that mountain ranges are actually 'sleeping dragons' put to rest by angels, and reject evolution

Know any other crazy stuff that seems to be gaining momentum in its numbers of believers?

Absolutely. That mankind is responsible for climate change. That has not been proven, like other known facts; the shape of the Earth, Gravity and such. But the schools and many other people keep teaching that it is a proven fact, in order to pursue political agendas.

A lot of people see right through that BS. They know it is not a proven fact, and maybe that makes them wonder what other BS they've been fed as facts.

Comment

Jelgate damnit I thought it was your turn to watch him. He's loose again.
            Spoiler:
            I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

These ones are my 'favourite.'

It's not enough that they imagine themselves to be somehow 'smarter' than the evidence and unanimous conclusions of lifetimes of research conducted by persons who have devoted their lives to study. No, they also imagine that they 'see through' "political agendas." Even IMAX doesn't project this large.

What this is on a macro scale is one of the more significant problems at the moment, and goes back to the heart of the original post in this thread: the rejection of expertise. The laughable (if it weren't so dangerous) idea that 'my willful ignorance is as valid as an expert's actual understanding.'
              Last edited by DigiFluid; 28 April 2019, 06:28 AM.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                Jelgate damnit I thought it was your turn to watch him. He's loose again.
                I have grown tired about mocking his inability to grasp what a scientific theory is.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I have grown tired about mocking his inability to grasp what a scientific theory is.
                  That's the thing, though, isn't it? It's just a theory, not proven fact.

Another is that that the Earth has been undergoing warming and cooling periods for its entire existence, and there is plenty of evidence to back that up. Or do you deny that?

Comment

You just proved my point
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Is there a phrase that combines facepalm and headdesk at the same time? Facedesk? Facedesk is good... *Facedesk*
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Highlighted portion of quote (mine) for emphasis!

Originally posted by magi877 View Post

Funny coincidence that you mention all this.. as I was just discussing some of these things just yesterday. Maybe the FLAT earther folks need to take a ride up to the space station and stay there for a week. See the EARTH from the outside, beyond the horizons and take those circular journeys around it every 45 minutes or whatever amounts of times they go continuously around from nighttime to daylight again. Earth is believed to have more of an oval shape at the equator, since it buldges slightly at the center there, but not into a pancake shape!

Thing that gets me is the "Hollow Earth" theory... Journey to the Center of the Earth, and it's a whole new world inside... ummm... yeah... The only world I've ever seen in Earth Science is knowing that if you dig deep enough, you'll hit that nasty LAVA flow that swirls underneath the earth's mantle crust and seems to be deeper than the earth's crust layer... so, good luck paddling thru the molten layer(s) there to reach straight thru to Asia from the USA... and don't forget the (moving liquid?) iron core in the middle/center of the earth that flips the north and south poles every now and then. It's that same lava flow layer that pushes upward into the ocean's floor, heats up some of the area with thermal vents and starts creating new mountains.

As for other stuff... contrails... exhaust fog that forms from airplane fuel being used up in the air...means the stuff is working to keep the plane up there flying around! Some contrails can be "seeded" with chemicals to drop into the atmosphere, but often with the purpose of usually finding a cloud to make them expand into rainclouds where rain is most needed (of course, that process doesn't always work all the time).

As for Gravity... Just hand those folks 20 pound bar bells of lead --- one for each hand/arm to carry, and see how fast they drop to the ground from gravity's LEAD weight..! Just having to carry one gallon of water in each arm/hand is enough to weigh the arms down a bit... Grocery shopping is a good example of proving how heavy bags weigh and will drop if anything falls out to the ground. Not many things float upward (except balloons that areNOT tied down/onto something that is grounded to the earth).

As for the 6000 years age of the earth... That is one that may actually be closer to the truth. There are about 6000 years of *recorded* (written) history. But some Bible science adds in an extra few thousand years to account for the existence of Adam and Eve, and the time that existed before the Great Flood (Noah's Ark time era) that wiped out the dinosaurs. There is no actual time length described in Genesis 1-2, on how each day *is*... It is guestimated that 6000 years is the banner number, simply because the bible also states, as an *example* that "a day with the Lord is like a thousand days to mankind." Altho, I cannot say the earth is 10,000 years old or "billions" years old, because I wasn't around back then to prove this! Plus, IMO, "age" is eternal... doesn't matter to me at this point in my life. Not worth disputing how OLD earth (or the entire universe) is, carbon-14 support, or whatever other methods to measure past definite written history, or not. WHAT we doNOT *know* simply means... WE doNOT *know*!!!

Been studying this pre-flood info in greater detail recently, and found some amazing info (ark, pre-flood technology, and dinosaurs getting wiped out by a massive meteor storm... Google earth pictures support the wipe-out theory cascading in trajectory that parallels with the Atlantic Canada/USA coastline, into the Gulf of Mexico and parts just above South America, too). Might share it in the "Earth's Future..." topic instead, but need more time to compile the data, still.

Comment

*facedesk*

Comment

It's like a box of cats, you can smell crazy.
                            sigpic
                            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                              That's the thing, though, isn't it? It's just a theory, not proven fact.

Another is that that the Earth has been undergoing warming and cooling periods for its entire existence, and there is plenty of evidence to back that up. Or do you deny that?
                              No, what is in dispute is how we have changed that basic pattern.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X