Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Flat Earthers and other regressions

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    "A" claims CC can't be pinned on us
    "B" gives substantial proof and pins it on us
    "A": see it can't be pinned on us because of absofukentely no reason

Where's the line for p90's desk? Oh I see GF's dead body, I must be close.
    It is the responsibility of the person or entity trying to pin something on someone to prove it. Thus far, they have not been able to. And I mean "prove it", not just some theory. And no, you can't redefine words such as "theory" to your liking.

Prove the claim, or take a flying leap.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    The claim has been proved. Xaeden just summarized it for you which you deny on *shiznit* basis.

How about you go for a leap?
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

It is the responsibility of the person or entity trying to pin something on someone to prove it. Thus far, they have not been able to. And I mean "prove it", not just some theory. And no, you can't redefine words such as "theory" to your liking.

They have done. There is a direct correlation between the rise of CO2 emissions and the increase in world wide temperature. Just because you don’t understand how science works. We aren’t redefining What words mean, you and your ilk are by arguing semantics and ignoring scientific methodology.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    "A" claims CC can't be pinned on us
    "B" gives substantial proof and pins it on us
    "A": see it can't be pinned on us because of absofukentely no reason

Where's the line for p90's desk? Oh I see GF's dead body, I must be close.
    That is what the tacos want you to believe. GF was murdered for daring to call out the hypocrisy and ignorance. They have eyes everywhere and attack anyone who uses facts and logic. I was only spared because im insane
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

The Sacrifice was made, and the Mad Prophet speaks. So it shall be.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Thanks Gatefan and P-90.

I quoted for you two reliable sources that define a scientific theory as I described. The Oxford English Dictionary, in particular, is the gold standard of dictionaries. It is the most trusted source among for academics who need to write papers, reporters working on articles, or any other kind of serious professional who needs to define or trace the history of words.

If you like, though, I can provide you with similar quotes from other dictionaries and other reliable sources that say the same thing. Can you offer any source that defines a "scientific theory" in the way that you describe?

As you correctly note, it is the responsibility of the person making a claim to prove it. I have claimed that "theory," in a scientific context means one thing and then I offered you sources to back up my claim. You have claimed that it means something else and have both ignored my sources and refused to provide any of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    You'll get no argument from me that we could be better stewards of our environment. Although an argument could be made that changes to the climate are far more likely from Plinian and ultra-Plinian volcanic eruptions (such as the kind produced by Mt. Tambora which resulted in the "Year without a Summer" in the early 1800's) than from mankind's industrial output.
    When I wrote "There have been some periods of rapid climate change in one direction or another during human history, but they are attributable to specific causes," volcanoes were one of the causes that I had in mind, but I'm unclear as to what it has to with the current conversation. It is true that volcanic eruptions commonly have an impact Earth's climate, but they're not responsible for the warming that we're currently experiencing.

You are not thinking like Annoyed. Anything not supporting his point of view is liberal propaganda. Furthermore, academia is forced brainwashing by the left
    Jelgate is right

Naturally, but who's definitions are we re-defining then?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    I quoted for you two reliable sources that define a scientific theory as I described. The Oxford English Dictionary, in particular, is the gold standard of dictionaries. It is the most trusted source among for academics who need to write papers, reporters working on articles, or any other kind of serious professional who needs to define or trace the history of words.

If you like, though, I can provide you with similar quotes from other dictionaries and other reliable sources that say the same thing. Can you offer any source that defines a "scientific theory" in the way that you describe?

As you correctly note, it is the responsibility of the person making a claim to prove it. I have claimed that "theory," in a scientific context means one thing and then I offered you sources to back up my claim. You have claimed that it means something else and have both ignored my sources and refused to provide any of your own.

When I wrote "There have been some periods of rapid climate change in one direction or another during human history, but they are attributable to specific causes," volcanoes were one of the causes that I had in mind, but I'm unclear as to what it has to with the current conversation. It is true that volcanic eruptions commonly have an impact Earth's climate, but they're not responsible for the warming that we're currently experiencing.
    But it's still not proof.
    Semantics aside, can you prove that whatever change might be happening today is the result of mankinds's activity, rather than another in a series of warming/cooling periods that have gone on since before mankind existed?

Even under your own definition of "theory" it is still just a theory; the most current thinking we have on the topic. But that ain't proof.

If you want to dismantle our economy, as with any other accusation, you need to have proof.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    You are not thinking like Annoyed. Anything not supporting his point of view is liberal propaganda. Furthermore, academia is forced brainwashing by the left
    Silly jelgate. Reality has a well-known liberal bias.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Semantics aside, can you prove that whatever change might be happening today is the result of mankinds's activity, rather than another in a series of warming/cooling periods that have gone on since before mankind existed?

Even under your own definition of "theory" it is still just a theory; the most current thinking we have on the topic. But that ain't proof.

If you want to dismantle our economy, as with any other accusation, you need to have proof.
    Looks like its hypocrisy bacon time again
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Looks like its hypocrisy bacon time again
    No bacon for you until you provide PROOF. No sentient Tacos, either.

If Annoyed were a Cop you could find a murderer with the knife in his hand, bloodied, standing over the dead body, fingerprints on the handle and he'd still let the guy go.

Ok... Let's go ahead and just hypothetically suggest for a moment that 99% of the World's scientists are wrong / liars who are getting paid off (By who exactly as an aside?). That doesn't change what is happening still. The world's getting hotter. The ice caps are melting. Extreme weather is getting more common. One way or another the world cannot go on like it isn't happening. These are all FACTS. CO2 levels in the atmosphere are increasing. FACT. CO2 is toxic to most animal life. FACT. Water levels are rising. FACT. Hell, fossil fuels are a finite resource. FACT.

One way or another, the economy cannot remain based in the manner in which it is at the moment. Regardless of any of this we still require renewable energy sources, more fuel efficient vehicles which ideally do not run off of fossil energy and a generally more sustainable way of living. And either way we need to do it soon.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

*hands out bacon*

I walked it off.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    If Annoyed were a Cop you could find a murderer with the knife in his hand, bloodied, standing over the dead body, fingerprints on the handle and he'd still let the guy go.

Ok... Let's go ahead and just hypothetically suggest for a moment that 99% of the World's scientists are wrong / liars who are getting paid off (By who exactly as an aside?). That doesn't change what is happening still. The world's getting hotter. The ice caps are melting. Extreme weather is getting more common. One way or another the world cannot go on like it isn't happening. These are all FACTS. CO2 levels in the atmosphere are increasing. FACT. CO2 is toxic to most animal life. FACT. Water levels are rising. FACT. Hell, fossil fuels are a finite resource. FACT.

One way or another, the economy cannot remain based in the manner in which it is at the moment. Regardless of any of this we still require renewable energy sources, more fuel efficient vehicles which ideally do not run off of fossil energy and a generally more sustainable way of living. And either way we need to do it soon.
    But the one guy at the IPCC in 2011 spoke of political corruption. That makes it a shame. I suspect the sentient tacos. Some get the guacamole
    Jelgate is right

Under the definition I cited for you, a theory is a compilation of data, facts, laws, etc. Again, there are aspects within the theory that are still evolving or might indeed be tenuous, but there are also aspects which are verifiable and repeatable. I listed a number of aspects of the theory that we know for certain already like how CO2 creates a greenhouse effect, how we know it's increasing as a result of human activity, how we know our actions are causing more of it to go into the atmosphere instead of being absorbed by plants, how known causes of natural climate change have been ruled out, and so on.

You're asking me to provide proof in a very broad sense. Can you narrow it down by telling me if there is any particular aspect of what I have discussed that you would like me to provide sources for? For example, you want to know why Earth isn't experiencing a natural warming period. If you expect me to put together a list of all known possible causes and provide detailed fact based write-ups to each and source verifiable data that demonstrates why they're not causing it, that is asking too much. If, however, there a specific natural cause that you think it responsible, please let me know, and I'll be happy to point you to evidence that rules that out.

Also, you've made a number of claims that you have not offered any evidence for. You seem to imply that all climate experts are being paid to lie. Can you back that up with any facts, please?

I'm actually apolitical and therefore do not advocate for or promote any particular policy change based on topics that I discuss.
    Last edited by Xaeden; April 29th, 2019 at 12:24 PM.

Ok... Let's go ahead and just hypothetically suggest for a moment that 99% of the World's scientists are wrong / liars who are getting paid off (By who exactly as an aside?).
    Just like every unwashed protester in every city in the world, it must be Soros. I wish I knew where they were handing out the checks.

(Pay no attention to the fact that Exxon and Shell have known for forty frickin' years and tried to hide it.)

It's much worse than that. If I were a serial killer who murdered someone in every county of the United States and all the local police stations investigated each individual case in their jurisdictions and a good number collaborated with and cross referenced/fact checked each other's data, he'd say it was a conspiracy that I was pinned as the murderer in the vast majority of cases.

In an individual case, I could be framed by the local police, but when my murderous proclivities impact a larger world and those actions are all invested by different people who also independently analyze the data that others have collected, claiming it's all one big conspiracy is a great insanity defense, but it's way outside the bounds of reality.

Guys, you are doing it all wrong.
    *throws Annoyed out of a 10 storey window*

Gravity is only a theory.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    Thanks Gatefan and P-90.

Just sayin'....that as much as you believe that mankind is the sole cause of this climate change....it could be argued that one burp from a volcano ejects more toxins into the atmosphere than all of mankind's industrial output combined....and now a humorous image of someone going around trying to cork all the volcanoes in a futile attempt to stop them from erupting

and in the specific example of the Mt. Tambora eruption...it caused 3 straight years of global cooling....leading to the abnormal weather phenomenon known as the "Year without a Summer" in about 1815...during this year without a summer it snowed in early June in Albany....a rather unusual event...as extreme as our winter weather can be sometimes....the most extreme of it is still for the most part confined to the traditional winter months