No announcement yet.

Avengers: Endgame Post Viewing MAJOR SPOILERS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some thematic beginning/end mirroring and callbacks that I really liked/made me want to cry:

That one of the last things Tony says before he dies is "I am Iron Man," hearkening back to the end of the very first movie in this series.

That Tony and Peter, at the end of this movie, were a complete reversal of how the previous movie ended. From Tony, ripped up inside that he can't help and can only watch as Peter dies, to Peter seeing that he can't help and can only watch as Tony dies.

Giving Happy (Jon Favreau, director of the film that started the franchise) one of the final scenes in the movie, reminiscing over cheeseburgers with Tony and Pepper's daughter, calling back to the first film.

The "we can't go home again" vibe at the beginning of the film, for everyone who survived Infinity War. And then, at the end of the movie: a broken Clint going home, a resurrected Peter back from the dead and back at school, etc etc. That whole feel of "my god, how am I ever going to move on?"
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

About SHIELD. They made it perfectly clear they're going to deal with the aftermath of Endgame in season 6. Maybe that new Coulson is from another time line.

If I were in the writers' shoes, I would have also gone with Nat's death. Because I know the audience would have felt nothing if it were Clint. That's because Clint didn't really get much screen time in the previous movies and not enough time for character development or for us to actually care.

My favorite scene was when Strange gestured to Tony that's this is the one in a million chance, which prompted Tony to make that final move.

Things I've predicted.
      Well there were many predictable stuff in the movie. But there are two I can get off the top of my head now.
      1- Captain Marvel's appearance. I knew exactly when it will happen. I don't know it was a feeling that turned out to be true.
      2- the arrival of all the fallen. I knew when it will happen but I didn't expect it to be through Strange's portals.

Loved the final scenes with Tony's daughter.
      I also loved the ancient one's scene.
      Loved the reunion between Peter and Tony.
      Loved Pepper's last words to Tony.

So sad that the stones are gone now and so is Vision.

Here's a thought. So Peter and his classmates who fell in the snap, will they be 5 years younger than the ones who didn't

Has anyone noticed that Bruce appeared normal in the trailer? That same scene in the movie had him with the new look. They intentionally misled us.

EDIT: Loved it when Gamora was surprised future her was in a relationship with Quill and Nebula said the choices were him or a tree.
      Last edited by Kilgharrah; 26 April 2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
        About SHIELD. They made it perfectly clear they're going to deal with the aftermath of Endgame in season 6. Maybe that new Coulson is from another time line.

If I were in the writers' shoes, I would have also gone with Nat's death. Because I know the audience would have felt nothing if it were Clint. That's because Clint didn't really get much screen time in the previous movies and not enough time for character development or for us to actually care.

My favorite scene was when Strange gestured to Tony that's this is the one in a million chance, which prompted Tony to make that final move.

Things I've predicted.
        Well there were many predictable stuff in the movie. But there are two I can get off the top of my head now.
        1- Captain Marvel's appearance. I knew exactly when it will happen. I don't know it was a feeling that turned out to be true.
        2- the arrival of all the fallen. I knew when it will happen but I didn't expect it to be through Strange's portals.

Loved the final scenes with Tony's daughter.
        I also loved the ancient one's scene.
        Loved the reunion between Peter and Tony.
        Loved Pepper's last words to Tony.

So sad that the stones are gone now and so is Vision.

Here's a thought. So Peter and his classmates who fell in the snap, will they be 5 years younger than the ones who didn't

Has anyone noticed that Bruce appeared normal in the trailer? That same scene in the movie had him with the new look. They intentionally misled us.

EDIT: Loved it when Gamora was surprised future her was in a relationship with Quill and Nebula said the choices were him or a tree.
        They did that with Infinity War too

Comment

I...don't think that's been made clear at all. The trailer for the new season has been anything but clear, and emphasizes the mystery.

I do kind of like the idea though that maybe something about the Thanos Snap somehow interfered with the death he was rapidly approaching at the end of Season 5. Disrupted it in some way, and that's why he's both back and different.

Yes...you're probably right. Natasha is the more impactful of the two. It's just that I actually like her and want her to continue on, whereas I've found Hawkeye to be an utterly useless character ever since his first appearance in Thor and definitely don't want the door left open for his return.

No points awarded. Both of those were very obviously going to happen

Yes I was thinking on that too. Presumably a bunch of Peter's classmates from pre-Thanos are now five years older than him. But judging from the Far From Home trailer, it looks like most of the high school-aged characters from Homecoming all must've been snapped, because a bunch of them are there unchanged.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It wasn't in the trailer. Whedon said it somewhere.

Maybe the upcoming Hawkeye show will make us care.

I didn't say I knew they were going to happen. I said I knew exactly when they're going to.

Maybe Zendaya will be older. This will end it between them. That would mean conveniently less of her.
            3 months till we find out for sure.

Comment

Is there an upcoming Hawkeye show?

Comment

On Disney +

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  Is there an upcoming Hawkeye show?
                  Current or announced MCU shows include...
                  • Agents of SHIELD - Season 6 (13 ep Season 6 starts May 10, renewed for a 13 ep Season 7)
                  • Jessica Jones - Season 3 (already filmed, will be the final season as it's been cancelled)
                  • Runaways - Season 3 (ordered, no air date yet)
                  • Cloak & Dagger - Season 2 (currently airing)
                  • New Warriors - 10 ep Season 1 ordered by Freeform and apparently produced, but Freeform decided not to air it and its production house is supposedly shopping it around for a network that'll air it
                  • Falcon and Winter Soldier - 6-8 episode series to air on Disney+
                  • Hawkeye series - To air on Disney+, no official title yet. Supposedly the premise is him teaching his daughter Kate Bishop and passing on the bow to her
                  • Loki - 6-8 episode series to air on Disney+
                  • WandaVision - 6-8 episode series to air on Disney+

Comment

So about what Steve did at the end.
                    Shouldn't that have created a totally new time-line? If it did, he wouldn't have been able to arrive at the same place he left. But he did.
                    But what if this has already happened? What if he changed nothing? What if all time travel in Endgame has already happened?
                    Maybe Steve and Peggy decided to keep it a secret to avoid changing the future.
                    What do you guys think?

Comment

No... We were told that what they do while in the past does not affect their own present, that time travel doesn’t work like BTTF/Terminator/etc. Any changes made just created a separate timeline branching off on its own, and the time traveler goes back to their own future, not the future of the divergent timeline. That’s why Loki escaping from the Stark Tower lobby with the Tesseract (rather than be taken back to Asgard in Thor’s custody) had no impact on the ‘prime’ timeline of 2023.

Comment

Yes but that would mean that the elderly Steve who didn't go back to his own time after returning the stones would live in a new time-line. Which means he wouldn't be able to reach that point he left because that exists in the original time line which he chose not to return to.

Comment

Oh, I see what you're saying and where I went wrong. He was over on the bench as an elderly man, who didn't come back through their time machine portal thingy, so he didn't travel forward, he just lived his way forward, right? And walked over to that bench in time to sit down on it just moments after his Chris Evans-self went back in time?

That's interesting. I'm not totally sure if it jibes with how the rest of the movie treats time travel. Unless we're meant to read it as no timeline divergence happened because he chose to live quietly with Peggy and not interfere with the flow of history?

That would also make him extremely old as of the end of Endgame. Cap was born in 1918, so when he got frozen in ice in 1945 he'd have been 27. He got thawed out in 2012(ish) and lived through till 2023, making him 38 at the point he went back in time to 1947(ish) to be with Peggy. And then living straight through from '47 to 2023--that would make him 114 years old on that bench at the end of Endgame.

Comment

Or 109 if he was one of the people who got ashed for those five years.

Comment

Yes of course they chose to live quietly, but is it possible to truly stay off the radar for that long to avoid changing the time line? They're humans after all. They make mistakes.

And could he be the husband elderly Peggy mentioned? Maybe it all happened in the original time line and that would mean that he didn't change anything and that would make it possible for him to reach that bench at the end in the correct time line because it's all one time line.

About him staying alive for so long. Maybe that's the supersoldier serum.

Comment

Yes of course they chose to live quietly, but is it possible to truly stay off the radar for that long to avoid changing the time line? They're humans after all. They make mistakes.
                                They are....but if Steve Rogers is anything, he's Mister Civic Duty. For all his faults, I think he'd be smart enough to know that the big picture required that he stay discreet.

And could he be the husband elderly Peggy mentioned? Maybe it all happened in the original time line and that would mean that he didn't change anything and that would make it possible for him to reach that bench at the end in the correct time line because it's all one time line.
                                Yeah now that I'm thinking about this, I think that's exactly what happened. The Russos' first MCU film was The Winter Soldier, where that clip of Peggy talking about a husband (but not mentioning his name!) happened. Given how far ahead these movies are planned out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this endpoint was exactly what either the Russos or Kevin Feige had in mind way back in 2014.

About him staying alive for so long. Maybe that's the supersoldier serum.
                                Seems very likely. Also is a good reason for the fact that he looks old, but not 114-years-old old.

Comment

Working...
                                X